• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD to nVidia with Windows 7.

Soldato
Hi,
Has anyone here tried moving from an ATI/AMD card to a nVidia one under Windows 7?

In theory it should just be a case of removing the drivers, shutting down, installing the new card, installing the new drivers.
But due to past experiences with XP/Vista, theory is not often reality when it comes to these things. And with my old trick of using 'drivercleaner' now out the windows as it now apparently costs, i was wondering what other options i have?

For reference, i plan to move from a X1650 & a X800XL to a single 8800GTX.
Intel P35 Mobo, Windows 7 64bit.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks in advance.:).

Soldato
I moved from a Radeon in my media center to a Nividia card under Win7 and everything works fine (Video wise).

Caporegime
The biggest issue people normally have switching brand of cards, is installing games, which run an auto config on startup and might change a few hidden settings based on which card you have, putting a new card in and playing with the wrong game settings selected basically. Rerunning autoconfig can work in those situations, reinstalling the game etc, etc.

Theres very rarely any need to run a driver cleaner, I've changed sides plenty of times over the past decade, never once ran driver cleaner in my life and I'd also never had an issue from conflicting drivers, I have no idea how people do to be honest. I've changed motherboards by uninstalling mobo drivers before switching mobo's and had a perfectly working mobo afterwards.

Stick your new card in, probably best to uninstall the AMD stuff turn off, switch cards, and install the Nvidia drivers, thats it.

Soldato
OP
The biggest issue people normally have switching brand of cards, is installing games
So we my gaming catalogue for the moment consisting of WoW & FM09, i should be ok? lol.

Basically what your both saying, as long as i stick to my common sence, it should be perfectly fine?

Soldato
uninstall drivers, shut down, install nvidia card, boot up...install nvidia drivers....restart (might not even need to do this!)

job done.

Soldato
OP
Is that the general concencus then, just uninstall the drivers, remove the cards, install the new card, install new drivers?
Not bother with clean up programs basically?

Associate
I switched from nVidia to ATi using Vista64 and it worked just fine, though obviously the control panel didn't work. Best to uninstall the drivers first and you should have no problems.

Top Bottom