• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/Catalyst Control Center

Associate
Hey,
i recently purchase a HD 6850 and had to install CCC (Catalyst Control Center) and now my boot up is twice as long which is rather annonying. So im just wondering if any of you guys know if i remove CCC from the startup with MSconfig will my GPU still run fine?

Soldato
Hey,
i recently purchase a HD 6850 and had to install CCC (Catalyst Control Center) and now my boot up is twice as long which is rather annonying. So im just wondering if any of you guys know if i remove CCC from the startup with MSconfig will my GPU still run fine?

I personally dont use it.

I just install display drivers and then caps.

Soldato
Ohhhhh ok, how do i just install Display Drivers or if i remove CCC from the startup will the display drivers still work fine? I mean i assume CCC installed them

When you download the drivers, you are downloading the CCC suite.

When you come to install them, choose custom, and uncheck everything except the display drivers.

that will install the display driver but with no CCC.

Then once you have done that, download and install the cap files.

Job done.

I hate the CCC. Overcomplicates things, and potentially causes issues.

Associate
OP
When you download the drivers, you are downloading the CCC suite.

When you come to install them, choose custom, and uncheck everything except the display drivers.

that will install the display driver but with no CCC.

Then once you have done that, download and install the cap files.

Job done.

I hate the CCC. Overcomplicates things, and potentially causes issues.

Ok thanks, one more question ;p what are the cap files?

Caporegime

It's a method for AMD to deliver driver updates and fixes for games faster.

Mostly for CrossFire setups but occasionally there's something relevant for single GPU users.

This release of AMD Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest AMD CrossFireX™ profiles. A separate executable file ensures users have access to the latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

Soldato

AMd introduced caps so that they could push out fixes sooner to end user, rather than waiting for new drivers to sort the issue.

So technically you install the latest drivers and the latest caps.

If a new cap comes out, and no new driver, unistall cap, reboot, and then install new cap.

Back
Top Bottom