Attaching Rad to fans?

Soldato
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone's done this, I've never set up a push/pull setup
But I was looking at attaching the fans to the case and then screwing the rad to the fan.
Is this fine? is this the usual way of doing it?

Because I wanted to attach 2 rads, through a panel so
Fan|Rad|Panel|fan|rad

Just wondering if the fan will hold the weight of the rad ok really

Man of Honour
Going by what you said above (Fan|Rad|Panel|fan|rad) it looks like you want to stack a pair of rads. This is not a good idea as cooling will be compromised. The second rad will be getting the hot air from the first rad not to mention the extra thickness that the air has to go through. For a push pull setup you should have:- Fan/Panel/Rad/Fan and not add a second rad to it. If you want to use a second rad then you need to set it up the same way which will use twice as many fans.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I plan to stack the rads.
While it's not the greatest in terms of cooling, it's a very open case so there should be adequate cooling even with stacked rads.
I had thought I might struggle with pressure, so thought of it having the potential for :
(Fan|Rad|Panel|fan|rad|Fan)

But If that's still not enough there's always:
(Fan|Rad|Fan|Panel|fan|rad|Fan) haha

Associate
From everything I've read, stacking rads is a bad idea and in most cases is worse than just having a single rad.

As space isn't an issue just get the thickest rad you can.

Soldato
OP
I suppose, I've also read similar.
Such as the extra rad is marginal at best.
But, it'll also make it look even :p
which is like, the most important thing right :D

I'll see about trying out both, and I'll post some results if people want :)

Man of Honour
With the heat I have had coming out of my rads the past week or so stacking is going to be a extremely bad idea and the second rad at best would probably contribute nothing to cooling and at best could even make things worse. Everything I have ever read goes against radiator stacking.

Associate
Taking my VERY limited take on thermodynamics
Rad one: Dumps its heat into the air pushed/pulled by fans

rad two: Has vastly heated up Airflow, as such is starting from a far higher ambient temp, if the water from Rad one is flowing into Rad two it will actually re absorb some of the heat as it will not be running as efficiently.

I could be wrong, but that was my theory.

Man of Honour
The only way i would attempt this would be to leave a gap and use slow moving fans.

Use threaded rods and nuts as oppose to bolts/screws.

Like this

Nut
FAN intake
RAD
nut
25mm GAP
nut
CASE
RAD
FAN exhaust
nut

Both rads would exhaust into the air gap and the warm air forced out.

Soldato
OP
Well I'll just throw this out there:

Unless the air is hotter than the fluid(which can't really happen, well, not in Scotland :D ), it won't dump heat back into the second radiator.
This is only true if there's adequate airflow, which would be a massive problem in a stacked rad scenario.
Reduced airflow would create a heat pocket and would reduce cooling.

If there's enough airflow, it will do nothing (the air temp has reached the water temp and therefore cannot dump more heat).

I doubt I could create enough airflow without making the thing sound like a hurricane :p

Finally, taking stock I don't have enough fans without mixing brands :p
So will not be doing a stacked rad.
Also It'll give me more space for my pump mounting.

Don
If you do stack rads it helps to use the hot air out of the first rad to cool the water as enters the first rad so the water itself is at it's hottest.

There is very minimal benefits in stacking, (there's minimal benefits in even using 2 rads!).

Back
Top Bottom