Attending F1 2017 Race Thread

Soldato
Hi guys, looking to goto an F1 race next year, already done Spa.. Ideally want a grandstand seat on the pit straight. Thinking about Silverstone or Barcelona.. Also anyone recommend a good site to buy from or shall I stick with the official site?

Soldato
Just wait for the confirmed race list, some races seem to be on dodgy ground if you'll pardon the pun.
Silverstone authorities are still in difficulty, Barcelona I think is OK.
Andi.

Man of Honour
Why the pit straight? Thats one of the worst places in any track. You can sit there for Friday or Saturday sessions but would recommend a decent set of corners to view over the straight for qually and the race.

Soldato
Sorry to say, I've been to a few f1 races at Silverstone and the pirelli era has made the races a bit of a waste of time, you end up watching it on the big TV in front of you . The cars just drone around in the foreground.
I think pit straight grandstands are a good idea because you get to see the drivers on the grid , track parade and a few other things that go on.

At Silverstone, the view into the pits is terrible, the seats are very expensive and the facilities dire.

During the Brazil to I followed a few chaps on periscope and the view on the pit straight looked awesome, really close to the track with cars hurtling by at 200mph, a bit like the old bridge at Silverstone. The grandstands are proper concrete ones with decent facilities underneath just for those in the grandstands.

Soldato
Is pre-season testing worth attending at Barcelona? I have to take holiday and want to visit the city again. Can probably fit everything I want to do in 4-5 days then spend 2-3 days at testing, or would I be bored after 1 day? Cheap flights and low standards for accommodation make this more appealing than other cities if I can get a couple of days of something motoring related in there.

Soldato
I'd very much advocate pre-season testing - it is a great laugh. Not as good as when it was at Jerez, but Barcelona's still good fun. We've been for the past four year, and are heading out in February to catch the first two days of the first test. Hotel prices are crazy this time around though - normally much cheaper!

Soldato
Oh wow, just looked at the differences in prices. It would be cheaper to do a tourist trip in January then make a second trip just for testing later. Got 10 days I have to burn, not too fussed between first and second test. Main downside is most of my racing friends are not free around then.

Soldato
went to Barcelona this year, saw the two lead cars pass in-front of our grandstand, then they crashed before coming back into view... :(

Sat on the infield between corners 3 and 5 and it had a decent amount of visible car time. I'd agree that sitting on the pit straight is the worst, they'll flash by and then you wait for over a minute for them to flash past again. The real magic is the cornering speed.

barcelona.png

This was the outlook. Nice view into the first and second corner battles and off into the distance after turn 5.
iew.png

better weather than Silverstone, and Barcelona is a top city. Go for a week, 3 days at the track and 3-4 days in the city.

Back
Top Bottom