ATX in Silverstone's ITX RVZ 03- ***full water and dual 240's ??

Soldato
will say, correct blade and a solid working tool and cuts through like butter !
Yeah, makes life a lot easier - and they last.

SFX Hole cut! need to clean and trim the bottom more so its flush with the bottom panel
Sticking with original design orientation from the look of cutout?

Need to cut a small square out the bottom left hand corner to fit over the PSU cable ! to lazy to relocate and see no need to
Agreed, a bit of finesse with the Dremel and it's a non issue.

this is flipped the other way, but there will be a small gap between the bracket and chassis by mobo I/O cutout
MNjgE0C.jpg

Yeah, this was what i was trying to ask/explain earlier, regarding 5mm gap.

Could you not add a strip of metal underneath the one side (so it doesn't interfere with panel fitting) and bolt it to GPU bracket and chassis receptively - giving it that additional structural support. It won't be seen and should add significant strength to the bracket/card - given orientation?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, makes life a lot easier - and they last.

Sticking with original design orientation from the look of cutout?

Yeah, this was what i was trying to ask/explain earlier, regarding 5mm gap.

Could you not add a strip of metal underneath the one side (so ot doesn't interfere with panel fitting) and bolt it to GPU bracket and chassis receptively - giving it that additional structural support. It won't be seen and should add significant strength to the bracket/card - given orientation?

back of case, out of site ... out of mind!!!! like like kids toys... long as they fit in the box, i dont care if its actually the right box haha

will have a look with orientation . need to get the board in first and have a look with cables plugged in

Soldato
like like kids toys... long as they fit in the box, i dont care if its actually the right box haha
Bad, Dad! (my wife use to go nuts when i did this. My excuse is that it taught the kids initiative.)

will have a look with orientation . need to get the board in first and have a look with cables plugged in
Yeah, ii seems like one of those fittings that needs to be in situ to really get an understanding of best siting.

/off topic

Is that an expensive marble/Corian kitchen worktop fashioned into a step or an expensive marble fireplace hearth fashioned into a step?

***Oh, and FFS - put some protective matting down to prevent scratches!!! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Plec we had a disused back boiler installed so removed it and this massive slap of marble that be use as a solid table outside - and cooked bbq's on !

right, again apologies for poor images but snapped on phone whilst kids were having Breakfast , lego is a critical part too :D

C4Jz5ZO.jpg

c4GYOP7.jpg

Right- you'll see below that the GPU bracket needs to be cut down even more . Bit of a miscalculation as well as me forgetting GPU and bracket is offset back a little .
ddp5bus.jpg

Again massive thanks to Silverstone for this one and allowing me to butcher a case . Unlike the other xtreme mods with hybrid water ciooled GPUs i only had one kid.. and then another , rushing for 3 really just kills off time . But saving grace, I cant wait for them to grow up and learn to code and make games ( they'll get a slap if they want to play fortnite like games ). If they get into gaming, i'd rather it be around the front or background of the industry then being a gamer , but thats just be and i have a BA in Games Design - yet work in Oil & Gas lol

More pictures here! bottom of the Post !

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol nice.

Maybe Silverstone will base rvz04 on this design lol

think that was my pitch . In practice its actually plastic molding that cases more to have make and remake due to shorter lifespan then tooling needed to cut and press metal sheets.

extend the chassis 40mm and the SFX should sit in default position , or ATX PSU with ITX in default mounting position . GPU bracket to allow either orientation of the GPU so stock position or fans on show for either ITX/mATX or ATX position and case would be a killer. Don't think price tag would increase to much !
Use Plexi window sheets like they do for the slimmer ITX Raven case and sorted for AIO mounts, visual RGB and airflow :D

Dimension
382mm (W) x 105mm (H) x 364mm (D), 14.6 Liters
15.04" (W) x 4.13" (H) x 14.33" (D), 14.6 Liters

would become

382mm (W) X 105mm (H) x 404mm (D) 16.2 LITERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

still smaller then Sliger mATX, ATX and equal to their new New ITX cases ( 18L , 19.5L & 15.9l)

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/

also smaller then Neo G Mini which is only one of 3 ITX cases to house 2.5/3 slot GPUs

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/ >> 25 Liters

@Plec wondering how an Xtreme X570 would fit in this... cbalign would be nice due to 24 Pin being at a right angel, though PSU would have to sit over the board...

Last edited:
Soldato
lego is a critical part too :D

C4Jz5ZO.jpg

Brilliant!!! And it gets better on closer inspection - from blurry pic inspection (not forgiven :p) you appear have ***** of steel.

When you have more time, you have to get a quality pic of the above - don't change a thing (unless a fly lands on it and it collapses before you get time). The addition of the ad-hoc Lego support (some Lego Friends from colour(?)) totally captures the time constraints/creativeness and fun of this build. Love it...

And, i've gotta ask - is there 'any' screw holding any of that together - even the motherboard looks devoid of any support? Is the i/o panel doing all the work? (I'm saving this to folder as i type... :D)

Silverstone, should like what they're seeing - if you pull this off you've demonstrated that with a slight tweak in design they could give access/opportunity of an ITX type case format to a lot of ATX users - admittedly if you're prepared to lose a few slots. Still, there may be a market share to exploit - especially from recent forum banter of members looking for smaller cases - and most, if not all, could survive with less slots.

As mentioned - this log has totally captured your time constraints, 3rd kiddy on the way and lateral/creative thinking approach to getting this mod achieved.

Project: Square Peg, Round Hole's above skeleton looks achievable and i'm really looking forward to the front panel improvisation. Keep at Orbi, this has been one of the most innovative and fun projects i've subbed to. On paper i had my doubts - well, more concerns for structural support - but you seem to be overcoming each obstacle as it presents itself. I thought it was going to be Duck Tape - but it transpired that Lego Friends came to your engineering aide :D

DSLR!!!

Soldato
OP
@Plec the motherboard is held in via 4 screws in the ITX mounting position for 5 arent in use !!!!!!! yet...

I screwed the Mobo to the chassis whilst on the Jon just after putting kids to sleep in a mid height bunk bed, being 3 and 2 my eyes are still glued onto the monitor till 100% zz :D

It would be interesting to see with the Likes of Envious Mods that Gigabyte (@GIGA-Man ) use or silverstones own AV Case mods could do (unfortunately using MSI )

i'll dash home slightly early and see if i can snap some up for you buddy .

I have a feeling i'll have to cut the mounting plate off the Stock GPU bracket and metal weld it onto the Coolermaster one . Least then the GPU will be held in by two screws via that and then can make supports elsewhere

as with silverstone pushing it bigger. Gigabyte X570 threw a slight spanner producing a beast of ITX board, only problem is its either £50 more costly then entry X570 or B550 board wills steal budget builds, 80% of those would be ATX at least . Then again Master and Xtreme are still a nice notch above the ITX Aorus in terms of power and features.

might have to ask kindly to @K888D if he could do a cool fusion Plexi sheet for the top . Aint touching Parvum again thats for sure ... still waiting on panel god knows how many years later...

damn @Plec his mounting solution for Verticale GPU is wow... incorporating silverstones fans and 3d mount..

Last edited:
Soldato
I screwed the Mobo to the chassis whilst on the Jon
LOL - we need to work on your PR skills - edited to:

I screwed the Mobo to the chassis whilst exercising innovative mulitasking skills due to time constraints.

putting kids to sleep in a mid height bunk bed, being 3 and 2 my eyes are still glued onto the monitor till 100% zz :D
Our youngest was slightly older when she wanted a tent/tall bed. Like you, i was totally paranoid - first few weeks i worked on my laptop while she dropped off - also had the ladder at the other end so no way she could fall out in reality. Plus, i bought 4 duvets which were laid out on the floor directly below her bed just in case she did fall out. My wife still laughs when retelling...

I have a feeling i'll have to cut the mounting plate off the Stock GPU bracket and metal weld it onto the Coolermaster one . Least then the GPU will be held in by two screws via that and then can make supports elsewhere
From pics (and my swivel chair heckling) it seems like a potential weak spot - but you've got the hands on feel for it, and experience, so you'll know better than anyone what will need additional strengthening.
*cough*perhaps at the same time make a simple bracket so Vertical GPU Mount is held to chassis at both ends*cough* :p

damn @Plec his mounting solution for Verticale GPU is wow... incorporating silverstones fans and 3d mount..

That is an elegant solution - but not one you could have used with the components you had to hand. Plus, the existing case's GPU brackets/supports were not an option for you due to your larger motherboard - so not an apples to apples comparison.

That said, Silverstone could easily adapt that structural support system into a revised case around an ATX motherboard - as it's a simple, cheap solution. I'm certain you would have done something similar if you had been able to use original brackets or had the tolerance to do so. Your solution works for a difficult mod (certainly more space constrained than he) - and helps demonstrate where case amendments would need to be made to adjust for full ATX. The implementation of his work-around on a revised rear bracket structure/spacing would certainly work though...

Slow posting replies as working - below was original reply to previous posts:

Maybe Silverstone will base rvz04 on this design lol
It would have to be called the, rvz-0rbi revision.

think that was my pitch . In practice its actually plastic molding that cases more to have make and remake due to shorter lifespan then tooling needed to cut and press metal sheets.

extend the chassis 40mm and the SFX should sit in default position , or ATX PSU with ITX in default mounting position . GPU bracket to allow either orientation of the GPU so stock position or fans on show for either ITX/mATX or ATX position and case would be a killer. Don't think price tag would increase to much !
Use Plexi window sheets like they do for the slimmer ITX Raven case and sorted for AIO mounts, visual RGB and airflow :D
Didn't know you had pitched the idea - you will have certainly caught their attention now - great forethought.

@Plec wondering how an Xtreme X570 would fit in this... cbalign would be nice due to 24 Pin being at a right angel, though PSU would have to sit over the board...
Well, if Gigabyte are willing to to gift me an Xtreme to give me the opportunity of balancing a £700 board on some Lego, i'm certainly game.

Perhaps we need to hide your pics before i approach @GIGA-Man... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Plec LOL.

managed to grab some pictures!!! will upload and swap around in a second. and Just for you I swapped SFX orientation .

Shame my friend hasn't moved onto 3D Metal printing :D would be ace! Silverstone Rep believe his HQ should like it. Again everyone knows the execution is a bit rough around the edges

just a shame it isn't in white! haha wife still hinted its going in the bloody cupboard though!!!!! not if i go glass it aint!!!
Though had it been in white, would have showed imperfections more i think!

oh, and if i wanted flush Tempered glass, I could do this at the bottom right hand side

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £91.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

clearance from bottom of the case to bottom of the right corner of Xtreme is 60mm ;)

Soldato
OP
LOL - had just uploaded this to IMGUR to compare overall depth with cables and was going to ask you to measure:

j2fb4h4.png

Will reply properly when finished on phone...

Torn to which orientation to be honest. Exhausting up would make sense , and room for some cables but just doesn't look as 'neat'

Soldato
Sorry, bud, phone call ended up with me needing to sort out face to face. Fascinating how people's obnoxious manner changes when you're sat in front of them - especially when they're not expecting you. (@tamzzy, i've earned my weekend alcohol ration this week :p)

Anyhooo...

@orbitalwalsh - firstly, thanks for the quality pics. Those Lego supports deserved a better defined picture and from memory i think someone used a Lego figure to simulate holding up the end of a GPU. If you do end up using a glass panel, and the figure could be seen, you have to do this for the design nostalgia (and your kids will love it).

Torn to which orientation to be honest. Exhausting up would make sense , and room for some cables but just doesn't look as 'neat'
The 90 degree has always made sense to me, on paper, purely from a venting perspective and ease of cabling - but paper doesn't always tell the whole story.

My confusion, sat in the luxury of my desk chair, is that i'm not 100% sure how you'll be addressing the front panel/fascia - are you:
  1. making a duplicate fascia but with longer side feeds to connect to the actual chassis?
  2. redesigning a simpler sleek fascia but fulfilling the same objective?
  3. Or is it other?..

If it's the first/second option then the only complication i foresee is perhaps a slightly deeper fascia, if i'm understanding the next design process properly (you could even add a lip inside for the PSU to rest on for added support). If a discretion/vanity panel is intended to be printed then either PSU orientation will be hidden and although the 90 degree, when on open display, looks odd it will be hidden away behind the vanity panel - so not an issue?

As mentioned, it should also aide with cable routing - and perhaps eliminate the need for extension cables to the CPU 8 pin (unless you fed cable through top gap before siting PSU). There's also the factor of more air venting into a very limited space, and increasing your already substantial positive pressure from your bottom fans, GPU and and 240mm rad (i presume pulling air onto VRMs while cooling rad?). I'm not sure how much impact the PSU will actually have - may be very little - but personally i would want the PSU venting towards the top - aiding extraction as you can't add fans at the top. Plus, it then wouldn't disrupt the cool air flow coming directly in from the rad fans over the top pf the motherboard etc...

Probably mistakes in above as quickly typed out immediate thoughts before i prepare dinner - weekend, my turn to cook - so will look over again later. Should have stopped off and got BBQ food, i would have been Super Dad. Plus, you can drink beer and cook and it's sociably acceptable...

Soldato
ps: i've completed my build, 78c on an AVX2 run of prime95.
You've gotta be very happy with that - was that small ffts? Either way - when you look at what's packed in the box those are great temps! (Brad Pitt would probably still be disappointed - there's a joke in there somewhere, maybe...)

That's you sorted for the next ~5 years bar the odd GPU upgrade...

Back
Top Bottom