auction site problems - buyer wnats refund

Associate
OP
Do you have the rubbish standard Apple earbuds and USB charging cable knocking around? I'd be inclined to bung those in the post to him (seeing as they're worthless to you).

No i dont have either. When i bough the ipod i got a data cable which broke after about a month. so i just used my ispeakers/dock (£150) to charge it and sync data. Once again i did say at the start you are bidding for a faulty ipod. :(

Caporegime
To be fair you should have said it didn't include related gubbins, but if it's not shown in picture I generally assume it doesn't come with.

Associate
Tell him that you also didn't say it would come with a sheep, that's why you didn't send a sheep along with it

When I bought my new iPod from the shop it didn't come with a sheep - should I go back and demand one?

Buyer is assuming the iPod would come with the standard bits and pieces, which (to me) wouldn’t have anything to do with it being faulty.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, if I was the buyer, no headphones I can understand, but I would have expected a charger with it (I'm assuming they come with one normally? - saying that, it's entirely plausable that Apple would decide to charge an extra £150 for it).

Of course, even with that taken into account, worst case scenario surely is that you need to send him a charger/headphones rather than a refund?

To be fair you should have said it didn't include related gubbins, but if it's not shown in picture I generally assume it doesn't come with.

What both of these guys said.

If the ipod normally comes with these things as standard then they should have been included or stated that they were not included in the sale.

Associate
He could have bought it intending to repair it and be able to use it for a minor saving but as it has not come with headphones or charge cable(basic apple one) He would have to spend money to get these items which at apples prices probebly meant he could have bought a new one!:D

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Sod him. You dont buy a car and then say "oh, theres no money under the seat - i want my money back". If its not advertised, you dont get. Tough titty. Screw him x 2.

Soldato
I think if I bought that expecting headphones and charger, what I would have done is re-read the advert, seen that there is no mention of them and left it at that. It's maybe mean to not state that they arn't included but over-all, I would say you are in the right.

Soldato
Its fair to assume you should have mentioned that they didnt come with it, rather than not mentioning it at all.

I personally think its misleading not to mention it since they come retail, id refund him or send him a charger and headphones, you can pick them up for a few quid each anyway.

Associate
Its fair to assume you should have mentioned that they didnt come with it, rather than not mentioning it at all.

I personally think its misleading not to mention it since they come retail, id refund him or send him a charger and headphones, you can pick them up for a few quid each anyway.

this

/thread

Soldato
If you are buying an iPod brand new from a shop, you expect the charger cable and the free white headphones.

Buying it from the flea when you it is going cheap and advertised as faulty with no mention of peripherals I'd expect to get just that. Might have been an idea to include "no peripherals included" but you live and learn. The assumption from his side that it would include all the gubbins that a new one comes with is much worse than you not mentioning that it doesn't tbh. More fool him.

Which essentially leads to exactly what Bledd said, which is spot on, IMO.

Soldato
People don't think when buying items with no accessories untill it's too late. It reminds me of the people selling xbox360 elites on there with nothing at all. When you think you can buy one at retail for £180 with 2 games. You would expect to save a few quid by buying off ebay anyway but when you think it has no hardrive, games, controller, cables, PSU. Really, what's that worth ? £40? but people pay 3 times that much.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Im not selling it brand new retail. I was selling 'faulty 30Gb ipod - faulty headphone socket only works on one side' When i bought the ipod i also got a £20 gift voucer (inside the ipod packaging case so came retail) along with a u2 video pre installed and a brand new pair of skull chandy headphones. I didnt list them eitehr becuase they didnt come with the ipod. I listed what the person was buying. I didnt think i had to go through EVERY little thing that didnt come with the ipod. Thats like one of them stupid signs in the argos catalog when you buy a tv stand. "TV NOT INCLUDED" You read what your buying and buy it.

Associate
For me there's no link between 'faulty' and not including the supplied headphones and power lead - it's irrelevant.
I think the buyer is chancing it by asking for a refund, but you're equally in the wrong for not including a simple 'no accessories' or 'this is sale is for the iPod only' line as it's obvious from our discussion that it's open to interpretation - the buyer assumed the standard supplied accessories would be included, and you assumed it was obvious that they're not included.

As mentioned above, find a used pair of white apple earbuds and the standard USB charger and send them off - it's no biggy.

Soldato
While it is good practise to mention that there are things not included which may be included in a retail, new and boxed version of them item - when you're buying through an auction, and specifically the bay, if the description doesn't mention that it comes with headphones or charger, then expect it not to come with one. Expecting it to come with it just because the retail does is fallacious - you're not buying it retail, you buying it second-hand.

Man of Honour
When buying stuff sold as faulty you have to be a little "special" to assume it comes with the accessories unless otherwise stated.

I would be different if he was selling it as a fully working 2nd hand unit or a brand new/as new unit.

Man of Honour
Tell him that you also didn't say it would come with a sheep, that's why you didn't send a sheep along with it

To be fair nobody would expect a sheep to come with an iPod yet you would expect a set of headphones and a charging cable otherwise how are you supposed to use it?

Back
Top Bottom