Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

Soldato
Well my mobius have arrived but I've been told I've got to wait till Christmas to use them.
Now for some more silly questions.
When gaming is 3d sound the same as 7.1 or have I got it around my neck

3d audio is different than 7.1 or 5.1 etc. 3D audio is usually a DSP of some kind, dolby headphone, CMSS 3D, SBX etc. Whereas 7.1 is the number of speakers/subs (real or virtual) that the headphone has.

Associate
hey guys ..installed the audeze app. daft as it sounds not had real me time to try the headphones but i was just wondreing if there was a sound demo to try the mobius with or do you just use your own music to try it out
Also to the guys that have gamed in them have you tryed all the different sq settings and if so did you have a favourite for the games you play?

Soldato
Kingston are still relatively knew in the peripheral world and you are right that gamers know it as a brand. Audeze to make them cheaply enough had to have them assembled in CHina otherwise they may have been £800 if fully built in USA. Looks like they'll supply the Maganetic PLanars and the current design along with the NX WAves software for kingston to assemble. MAybe Audeze feel that they are lowering the brand having them assembled in China albeit under their QA. I'm interested to know id the 'S' will be fully wireless. Wonder what the difference is?

Just seen this;

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/5/18170126/audeze-mobius-head-tracking-headphones-gaming-key-binding

Last edited:
Soldato
i hope the updates will be automatic...i asked for the recent updates but my goodness the installation process is way above my head...lol

Only worked on the 2nd/3rd time for me. Think I restarted the PC before it worked and hadnt found the firmware before that The app will need updating 1st as I have the warm setting option in the headphones but not in the Audeze app. Hopefully it will have a firmware flashing option taken care of in the next iteration. I think I managed mine after a fresh restart of the PC and then it seemed to find the firmware in the updater.

Associate
I’m toying with getting a set of these.. I currently have a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless over ears which I exclusively use with my iPhone and a set of SteelSeries 800 which are connected to my PC. I’m hoping these will replace both of those?

Any idea how they would compare when used with my iPhone against the Sennheiser?

Soldato
These are my first supposed audiophile grade headphones so can't comment, but you could wait for Hyper X to bring out the cloud orbit not that they'll be any cheaper, the S version is the same as these I think. The upcoming new software and firmware update adds key binds to head movement, so I'm gonna bind 'lean' in PUBG to my headset. They are better for gaming than they are if you currently have something half decent for music. Though the soundstage from 3D, for music, I think is awesome. I find them very comfortable, They go bigger too, than my massive bonce. Only answer for you really, is to hear a pair. If you happen to be near Exeter then you can try mine.

Associate
Not keen on the look of the Hyperx tbh. Want to get these, but am hoping for a leap in sound quality. Guess if I order from Amazon I can always return if not impressed.

Soldato
Aesthetically the colour does make them look a bit more special. A 'leap' in sound quality with the ratings and cost of those Sennys, though they are deemed as expensive in some reviews, I dont think you'll be blown out of the water. But as a gamer the 3D positioning is very good. Preset EQ built in aswell will make whatever you like listening to, hopefully half decent.

As someone who wears it with your iphone (walking/train about), when 3D is on, AUTO is the best setting as it takes an average of your head direction. So small/normal head movements will keep the centricity of the soundstage but, large movements such as change in direction (such as walking down a street) will change the centricity. These do take some getting used to as they are like no other headset.

But I think they are bloody good with the NX 3D waves software. If these were assembled in the USA then they reckon they'd be £800, so they outsourced to china under Audeze Quality control with the Planar magnetics built and shipped from the USA.

If you do get a pair to try, your feedback would be gratefully appreciated. Maybe you'll keep 'em.

Associate
Yeah, I paid about the same for the Sennheisers. I have an iPhone X so it will make use of Bluetooth 5. I’m just wondering if there’s a way to use them USB wired with the iPhone. Maybe a USB-C to lightning cable. Will have to have a look around. Close to pulling the trigger on them.. just doing a bit more research to convince myself!

Associate
I bought them. They arrived yesterday. They must have been sat there a while though, as the firmware doesn't even have the warm setting.

I've emailed support requesting the firmware, and will see what they are like - pretty impressed so far using my iPhone X with Bluetooth.

Shame they don't come with the case!

Back
Top Bottom