1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Emissions Software Update - Mandatory in the UK?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by AsaTDi, 30 Aug 2016.

1. AsaTDi

Gangster

Morning!

I've recently had my Audi serviced, to which they informed me that two software updates were available;

1) Air Conditioning
    2) Emissions

I stated that I did not want the Emissions update carrying out and signed there job list that I presume they give to the technician?

Anyway, picked the car up and I can distinctly notice the lack of performance, mainly due to the fact that previously my car was re-mapped & all i can presume now is that they have carried out this emissions update despite me stating that I didn't want it...

Is it a mandatory requirement to have this update? If so, I will be getting back on to Audi and asking why I wasnt informed of this prior to the service. If it isn't, then I will be asking for them to pay for the re-mapping service again!

Is there an easy way of determining if the update has been done? or do I need VAG Com?

Cheers guys! :)

2. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

They probably wiped the map as part of the service. It does happen.

They aren't going to pay you to remap the car again lol.

3. SDK^

Capodecina

The ECU and infotainment software usually gets updated in a service anyway.

4. AsaTDi

Gangster

Why would you need to update the ECU as part of the service.....

That isn't stated prior to taking the car in, so why should they carry out work that you haven't agreed with?

5. xs2man

Mobster

Not that I've noticed. Certainly not with my iDrive anyway. I had to have a "fault" to get the updated infotainment software.

6. Gaygle

Capodecina

BMW are normally very reluctant to update modules unless there is a fault, or a part being fitted to the car needs a later software version to be able to function.

Not sure about VW/Audi though - but I would imagine it's a similar thing?

7. paradigm

Caporegime

It depends entirely on if any faults or flaws have been detected in the versions of the software the car's controllers are running, they don't just go flashing for the sake of it.

8. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

Last time I've gone for a service they do ask if your car is modified in any way.

9. delta0

Sgarrista

This is the emissions fix after they got busted. All VAG cars affected will get a new ECU update to fix the issue.

10. Gaygle

Capodecina

What effect does the emissions fix have on the power it produces? Anyone done a test?

11. paradigm

Caporegime

Not done an official test, buy my butt-dyno can't notice a difference.

12. Type_R

Soldato

Sounds like classic VW/Audi service. Say one thing, do another. Usually it's them not doing what you have asked/paid for.

Would not be surprised if they did the emissions update anyway. In which case, seeing as you hadn't signed for it...they might have something to answer for!

Presumably one can use VCDS (I have one but never felt the need to use it for this) to check the software version on the ECU?

13. AsaTDi

Gangster

Had a call back from the service manager... they questioned the technician and he admitted to starting the software update, however he clicked 'abort' part way through the process when he realised he shouldn't have done it....

Audi is going to refund me for the cost of having it remapped !! :D = result!

14. Gaygle

Capodecina

Rare dealer success?

15. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

VW cars with navigation have free map updates included for three years so the system is updated each time the car is in for work, any firmware updates are done at the same time. I expect Audi do the same.

16. Gaygle

Capodecina

Firmware updates to the MMI perhaps, but I'd be *very* surprised if they started updating modules within the car as a matter of course. Updates can fail on these and leave them bricked.

Bricked ECU's cost ££££

17. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

They do engine ECU updates as part of services, my MK5 Golf had 4 done over the years.

18. pepsilol

Mobster

Aston Martin always update all modules in the car every service, minor or major. It's even part of the service book.

19. On Holiday

Soldato

Good result, it's what I'd expect too tbh if it was explicitly stated beforehand.

20. Jamesyboyjim

Mobster

Bit of a difference between Audi and Aston though :p