Audi Lands End to John O'Groats record

Caporegime
The police probably shouldn't rely so much on "evidence" from social media...

Exactly whether the guy was a retard or not is irrelevant. Many people boast on the internet which cannot be used as evidence unless proven. Look at people like LLF and DMO. Ripping up the motorways at 100+. Police should go after them as the evidence is there on video.

Soldato
Exactly whether the guy was a retard or not is irrelevant. Many people boast on the internet which cannot be used as evidence unless proven. Look at people like LLF and DMO. Ripping up the motorways at 100+. Police should go after them as the evidence is there on video.

Most of them are smart enough to show enough to attract their target audience, but not quite enough that they get prosecuted. The problem would be that if they had a serious accident, the police would use the channel as proof that it wasn't a "moment of madness" and instead a pattern of behavior, which would likely result in the Youtuber getting a more severe sentence than they would have otherwise.

Caporegime
Most of them are smart enough to show enough to attract their target audience, but not quite enough that they get prosecuted. The problem would be that if they had a serious accident, the police would use the channel as proof that it wasn't a "moment of madness" and instead a pattern of behavior, which would likely result in the Youtuber getting a more severe sentence than they would have otherwise.

I am sure there are experts that can determine speed by surroundings in the video. They just cannot be bothered/don't have the resources to chase it.

I remember in those old cop shows they could identify how fast a car was going simply by it's tyre marks under breaking.

Soldato
I am sure there are experts that can determine speed by surroundings in the video. They just cannot be bothered/don't have the resources to chase it.

I remember in those old cop shows they could identify how fast a car was going simply by it's tyre marks under breaking.
I'm not sure how you could work it out from skid marks, depends on how hard you press the brakes.

Soldato
Totally this, the prosecution need to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt so relying on a social media ‘confession’ was never going to stand up as soon as he said he exaggerated everything for the internet points. The bloke is clearly a bit of a tool but we live in a country where the burden of proof falls rightly on the prosecution not the defence.

Soldato
I'm not sure how you could work it out from skid marks, depends on how hard you press the brakes.

You can't even make skid marks when you brake unless it's something without ABS :D

Only if you go sideways, or hit another car and push it sideways or something, then I guess they work it out from that.

Soldato
Where's any proof this guy actually did it in the time claimed? It would be a bit hard to verify without any independent sources/photos.

Soldato
Was set in 1984. Doubt they cared.

http://www.champ.org.uk/bikes/endtoend.htm

Was on a motorbike and average speed was a lot lower at 79mph. Although that would have been skewed by refuelling. Admits doing 140mph.
I worked in Aberdeen two weeks on and a week off in the late seventies. Came of shift at 3am and was home in Southampton mid morning. Usually averaged about 70mph in a Capri 3 litre, I was reprimanded once or twice but never booked.

Soldato
One side effect of this going to court is his claim is now toxic.

He's defended himself saying he made it all up. Him saying anything to the contrary will be new evidence.

Soldato
One side effect of this going to court is his claim is now toxic.

He's defended himself saying he made it all up. Him saying anything to the contrary will be new evidence.
Him saying anything on the internet is. Not evidence unless he signs confession it can all be labelled deluded exaggeration. This case is done it won’t return to court.

Soldato
Surprised not a single road camera captured him between the two ends of the country they could then work out an average speed.
Then again maybe they don't keep recordings for that long.

Back
Top Bottom