Audi Lands End to John O'Groats record

Soldato
If only they hadn't got rid of most of the traffic cops and replaced with them cameras. All it takes is a couple of fake plates and multi millions of £ worth of camera systems are useless...

Caporegime
Surprised not a single road camera captured him between the two ends of the country they could then work out an average speed.
Then again maybe they don't keep recordings for that long.

Was going to say just that, all the police had to do was trawl the ANPR data, and spot his car at the start and the end, or even between any two points between.

Once they knew what plates to look for (even fake ones would not protect you) it should be simples to extrapolate distance over time measurements to get average speed.

Just general CCTV traffic cams on the motorways to spot congestion, should have been good enough images to be able to do that.

Soldato
Was going to say just that, all the police had to do was trawl the ANPR data, and spot his car at the start and the end, or even between any two points between.

Once they knew what plates to look for (even fake ones would not protect you) it should be simples to extrapolate distance over time measurements to get average speed.

Just general CCTV traffic cams on the motorways to spot congestion, should have been good enough images to be able to do that.

They probably did. But it didnt stick.

Man of Honour
They probably did. But it didnt stick.

I don't see why it wouldn't have been compelling evidence if they did that or why it wouldn't be admissible. I suppose that getting pings at any two points would prove speeding, but that's not what he was charged with, it was dangerous driving and that's a high bar to meet. Speeding by itself usually isn't enough to prove that offence.

Caporegime
I don't see why it wouldn't have been compelling evidence if they did that or why it wouldn't be admissible. I suppose that getting pings at any two points would prove speeding, but that's not what he was charged with, it was dangerous driving and that's a high bar to meet. Speeding by itself usually isn't enough to prove that offence.

I was just amazed CPS, said it was OK to go for DD, because as you say, it's usually such a high bar to get too, the CPS want rock solid evidence before allowing the charge in the first place, let alone getting it anywhere near a court.

Soldato

They would need to have evidence of the exact route he took. Without that he could easily claim he drove a different route/distance between the points to alter the average speed to suit.

Caporegime
They would need to have evidence of the exact route he took. Without that he could easily claim he drove a different route/distance between the points to alter the average speed to suit.

The police have the false plates he used.

Search ANPR database for those plates, find location of ANPR cam it triggered, then check local CCTV cams for same plates, to find routes he took, it really is not rocket science.

It is just a bit labour intensive and time consuming though, but it's work that is done on almost a daily basis tracking drug shipments and distributors.

Man of Honour
It is just a bit labour intensive and time consuming though, but it's work that is done on almost a daily basis tracking drug shipments and distributors.

And I think there's the issue. Whilst it is done for serious crime, it's unlikely to be done for a traffic offence due to the time consuming nature of the work.

Back
Top Bottom