Audi S3 Drivers - Harsh Suspension, Options?

Soldato
So I ended up with an Audi S3 Saloon, 2016 Model as my daily drive for our family of 3.

I love the handling, the styling and ommph when I need it.

The trouble I have is the stock suspension, even with Comfort mode/ settings, it's still harsh over those stumpy narrow bumps. Road is fairly decent here, just those speed bumps jolting the car when going over it, even at 15kph - don't want to develop back problems in the future.

Anyone upgraded their suspension?

Coilover or air suspension? What type and is it worth the price, especially with air suspension compressor kit eating into my boot space.

Caporegime
What tyres are you running? I found the stock Pirellis were awful. The Pilot Sport 4S were a bit more pliant, which I found more than acceptable with "comfort" suspension settings.

Soldato
OP
What tyres are you running? I found the stock Pirellis were awful. The Pilot Sport 4S were a bit more pliant, which I found more than acceptable with "comfort" suspension settings.
18" Michelin X, that came with the car when sold. Will this make that big a difference?
And do you pump to recommended or slightly under?

Soldato
Get some 17s and fit higher profile tyres.

Regarding pressures, it’s best to test yourself by trial and error.

Soldato
Not particularly helpful i know but i've never been in an Audi which rode properly, they were always terribly harsh no idea how so many people put up with it. Be interesting to see if there's any aftermarket mods to help as aftermarket is usually more harsh in the most part.

Soldato
Yep, they all have a pretty bad ride unless you go for an A8 limo. The "sporty" ones are even worse. Audi dont seem to know how to do suspension for our roads.

Soldato
This is such horse ****. My 2016 A4 (B9) rode extremely well on 19" wheels with adaptive dampers.

No point in adaptive dampers with the rock hard springs they fit as you just get varying levels of harshness. They still aren't all that smooth compared to e.g. a Citroen or Jag with a more simple setup.

Soldato
No point in adaptive dampers with the rock hard springs they fit as you just get varying levels of harshness. They still aren't all that smooth compared to e.g. a Citroen or Jag with a more simple setup.

Whilst I love reading all of your anecdotal evidence, it didn't have rock hard springs.

Soldato
OP
Citroen with the air suspension is awesome.
Citroen DS5, not so much.

That's why I am considering aftermarket air sus, or even decent coilover. Now you guys got me thinking about my wheels...

Man of Honour
Coilovers to improve ride quality?

Air suspension will cost a fortune and likely ruin the handling.

Trade it in for an A6 with the same engine in SE trim.

Soldato
OP
It came with 18s? S3 Saloons come with 19s as standard, and adding Magnetic Ride (standard on a Saloon) to a Hatch or Sportback also adds 19" wheels.
I'll need to double check now... It was sold as 18, I didn't take a tape measurer to it.
As for the magnetic ride, I'm going to have to check - it was never highlighted and I didn't know the saloon came with is as standard... If that's the case, even with Magnetic Ride, comfort mode is harsh!

Soldato
I used to have the previous model A3 in S-line trim, the ride was pretty harsh. I ended up with 2 broken springs so bought an Eibach kit which were 20mm lowering springs, about 5-10mm lower than S-line springs. The Eibach springs improved the ride by quite a lot.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It came with 18s? S3 Saloons come with 19s as standard, and adding Magnetic Ride (standard on a Saloon) to a Hatch or Sportback also adds 19" wheels.
To be fair the spec might vary, I dont know why this interested me enough to check (foreign markets interest me i guess!) but i can see a used 2016 S3 Sedan for sale with 18" wheels and tyres...

https://www.dubicars.com/2016-audi-s3-358245.html

Soldato
I used to have the previous model A3 in S-line trim, the ride was pretty harsh. I ended up with 2 broken springs so bought an Eibach kit which were 20mm lowering springs, about 5-10mm lower than S-line springs. The Eibach springs improved the ride by quite a lot.

Eibachs will be better than the cheapo stock springs. Just dont fit the tack/racing ones :D

But after lowering the rear camber will be out unless you fit adjustable arms.

Caporegime
To be fair the spec might vary, I dont know why this interested me enough to check (foreign markets interest me i guess!) but i can see a used 2016 S3 Sedan for sale with 18" wheels and tyres...

https://www.dubicars.com/2016-audi-s3-358245.html

I didn't even think to check where the OP was to be fair. European markets are as I described, I don't know the base configurations for the other world markets.

Soldato
OP
OK, confirmed its 18" wheels and also, got the exact same tyres as you... I remembered Michelin X but didn't know the sub brand was The Pilot Sport 4S.

Also, I don't have the Magnetic Ride - no switch or suspension with a lightning bolt when I start up.

Back round again, even with Comfort setting, it's harsh. I tried Dynamic today on route home. It's tight, and then hit a small speed bump at 20kph, and my god! It's likes I ran over a dead animal or something!

Back
Top Bottom