Audi S3 Drivers - Harsh Suspension, Options?

Soldato
OK, confirmed its 18" wheels and also, got the exact same tyres as you... I remembered Michelin X but didn't know the sub brand was The Pilot Sport 4S.

Also, I don't have the Magnetic Ride - no switch or suspension with a lightning bolt when I start up.

Back round again, even with Comfort setting, it's harsh. I tried Dynamic today on route home. It's tight, and then hit a small speed bump at 20kph, and my god! It's likes I ran over a dead animal or something!

If you don't have magnetic ride, the 'comfort' or 'dynamic' setting is presumably not actually altering the suspension, it'll be on standard fixed rate dampers, it'll just be changing stuff like throttle response and change points of auto gearbox etc.

Soldato
OP
If you don't have magnetic ride, the 'comfort' or 'dynamic' setting is presumably not actually altering the suspension, it'll be on standard fixed rate dampers, it'll just be changing stuff like throttle response and change points of auto gearbox etc.
Is there any other way to check if I have Magnetic Ride or not? I can change the suspension with drive modes and different settings (Dynamic, Economy, Auto, Comfort, and Individual works for suspension adjustments...)

Online for Audi shows that icon and possibly a switch is what to look out for...

Associate
I have a 65 Plate S3 Sportback.

To check if you have magride, go into the vehicle drive select screen on the MMI and edit your "Individual Mode". If you have a dampeners/suspension option in there, you have magride, otherwise you don't and should just have the standard engine, gearbox and steering settings.

I don't find mine that crashy, but I came from a GT86 which was noticeably firmer. I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyres all round (225/40/18) with 38PSI in each tyre. Worth checking your tyre pressures if you haven't already.

It is obviously going to be noticeably stiffer over the odd bump and the likes but it shouldn't be terrible. :)

Soldato
Is there any other way to check if I have Magnetic Ride or not? I can change the suspension with drive modes and different settings (Dynamic, Economy, Auto, Comfort, and Individual works for suspension adjustments...)

Online for Audi shows that icon and possibly a switch is what to look out for...

If it's specifically letting you adjust suspension, I suspect it has it, I think without the equipment the options to adjust it just don't appear (that's certainly how it works on the sister Skodas anyway, the option to adjust suspension is simply not present in the Individual settings and Comfort mode doesn't exist, only Normal, Eco, Sport and Individual)

Associate
Also, if you sign up to myAudi and get your nearest dealer to add you as the owner of your vehicle you can see all the spec that the car is equipped with.

It's just a case of signing up then emailing your dealer once it requests activation. Just need the VIN

Soldato
OP
If it's specifically letting you adjust suspension, I suspect it has it, I think without the equipment the options to adjust it just don't appear (that's certainly how it works on the sister Skodas anyway, the option to adjust suspension is simply not present in the Individual settings and Comfort mode doesn't exist, only Normal, Eco, Sport and Individual)
I'm a numpty, it was Steering, not suspension as an option. I checked and definitely no Mag Ride.
Had a little drive around and looks like the firmer bump is really down to speed. 15kph is just acceptable but 20kph is boom, your baby in the back goes wooo!

Also, if you sign up to myAudi and get your nearest dealer to add you as the owner of your vehicle you can see all the spec that the car is equipped with.

It's just a case of signing up then emailing your dealer once it requests activation. Just need the VIN

I didn't know about the app, registration with just the VIN, I get all the details on the car.

Looks like my rear suspension is a Sports suspension. Must be why it's so firm, the front wheels is just suspension - I assume with the engine weight, this makes the difference to why the rear is harsher?

Associate
I didn't know about the app, registration with just the VIN, I get all the details on the car.

Looks like my rear suspension is a Sports suspension. Must be why it's so firm, the front wheels is just suspension - I assume with the engine weight, this makes the difference to why the rear is harsher?

They should come equipped with Sports Suspension from factory default spec, Magride would be listed under "Optional Equipment" in the app but as you say if it's not showing in the drive modes then you won't have it.

I think standard Audi S-Line/S/RS Models have always been a bit firmer than regular cars but personally I've never found it too inconvenient, but that may just be because I'm used to low and bumpy cars admittedly :p

Associate
Your best option would be looking at going to a 17” wheel and higher profile tyre this will give a decent improvement in comfort, but be wary on wheels that will clear the brakes.
Alternatively you can actually go down the coil over route either kw V3 or Bilstein B16 and they can be setup to be more compliant than the factory setup but they are a little pricy but very much worth it IMO.

Soldato
It sounds like you find the ride harsh as you want to go over speed bumps quickly. You can slow down over them adding a matter of seconds to your journey time and save having to fork out hundreds on suspension and alignment. Alternatively, go for a passenger ride in a low sports car and watch how they have to deal with them, in turn making you realise your car is fine.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like you find the ride harsh as you want to go over speed bumps quickly. You can slow down over them adding a matter of seconds to your journey time and save having to fork out hundreds on suspension and alignment. Alternatively, go for a passenger ride in a low sports car and watch how they have to deal with them, in turn making you realise your car is fine.
I think this may be the case.

I didn't think going over a bump at 20kmph is going to be *that* bad. My missus literally got lifted off the back seat. My kiddo is in a 5 point harness so she was fine.

That said, I've researched more and yes, looks like some suggested here, some coilover will help - but for the price, is it worth it over driving more careful slowly over bumps and keep the existing handling when going round corners (especially here in Dubai, the feed on and off is a little crazy).

Soldato
I'm sure a normal Audi can't be that harsh. Why not show us the bump in question. Sounds like the bump is the problem here not the car.

Back
Top Bottom