Aurora Borealis

Associate
Hi all, heres a few shots I got the other night of the Norther Lights. Second time I have seen them, and second time I've seen them in the last month or so, I consider myself to be a very lucky person! Taken from the most northerly part of the Isle of Lewis where i live in the village of Ness.

Conditions consisted of very strong wind, hail showers, temperatures of close to freezing and pitch dark, which led to very hard shooting conditions. High ISO shots came out better than I thought they would :) loads of fun and gave me a good bit of experience. So on to the photos!

Nisheach Northern Lights by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Aurora Lighthouse by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Aurora Boreal-Ness by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Did a bit of light-painting as well which can be seen in my Light Painting Evolving Thread if you fancy taking a look.

Thanks for looking.

Associate
love the first one ishamy, the light you put on the forground looks great. I tried some light painting a couple of weeks ago and took two torches and a flash with me. I set my exposure to pick out the stars but found that one torch was way to powerfull and the other to weak. In the end i bounced the flash of the palm of my hand and that worked but i definatly need to try again.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comment, the first image isn't strictly light painted by myself, more the lighthouse :p I didn't use anything myself on that one.

As for your own light painting and the torch being to bright/dim, you can control this by using Iso, a lower iso if yr torch is to bright or higher if too dim. I usually use 400 or less and at around 4 minutes depending on how bright the natural light is.

Back
Top Bottom