Auros Elite X570 random reboots with XMP enabled

Associate
After usually Intel CPU’s in builds, I followed advice and went down the AMD route for my new video editing pc.

I’m having issues with random reboots when I enable XMP to get my ram running at its 3600MHz speed and wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

My specs are as follows:
Gigabyte Auros X570 motherboard
Ryzen 7 3800X
32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x16GB)
1TB Sabent NVMe SSD
GTX 1660 Super 6GB GPU
BeQuiet System Power 9 600W PSU

I’ve tried manually changing the timings to match what Corsair says for the ram, and tried manually setting the voltage to 1.35v but it’s still rebooting.

If I leave everything at stock, it runs at something like 2600MHz and doesn’t reboot and seems very stable but obviously not what I want.

Associate
Are you running the latest BIOS? I think included in the 1.0.0.6 AGESA update was something to do with improving memory stability

Associate
OP
Are you running the latest BIOS? I think included in the 1.0.0.6 AGESA update was something to do with improving memory stability
Yeah I updated bios to F20 which I believe is the latest stable release. Still doing it :(

The memory is stated as AMD Optimised but is t on the list gigabyte published for the board (no 3600MHz modules are on the list), but the 3200MHz vengeance pro modules are on the list.

Associate
OP
You could try adding more voltage there's is a dram calculator that mite help.

I’ve tried at 1.4v and still had issues, currently trying it at each step between 1.35 and 1.4 to see how it goes.

Does it run at 3200?

haven’t tried it at 3200. I’m not experienced at overclocking/under locking but will see if o can figure it out and give it a go :)

Test the memory https://www.memtest86.com/ each module separately..
I’m running memtest64 to kind of stress test the memory but it doesn’t seem to be faulty. The reboots are completely random and memtest64 can be running for 30 mins before the pc reboots, and other times all I need to do is open chrome.

Associate
OP
Ok so I’ve reduced the memory to 3200MHz and running memtest64 now.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of people are having issues with Corsair ram on the Aorus Elite board so wondering whether I should just return the memory for a different brand that is better suited?

afterall, I spent so much on this pc as I need reliability.

Associate
OP
Update: have had memtest64 running for an hour with no reboots.

Ram running at 3200MHz and not the 3600MHz that the memory should run at.

Associate

Ram can be sensitive with Ryzen due to the way the cpu communicates trough the Infinity fabric.
Performance wise you wont see much if any difference with 3200mhz vs 3600mhz.
Ram-die like samsungs b-die or recently Microns E-die has been showing good compability with Ryzen.
I ordered crucial ballistixs 2x8 16gb 3600mhz for my set up for that reason.
I am slowly transitioning towards new mboard, later this autumn a new ryzen 4000 cpu.

Soldato

An hour is generally not sufficient for memtest. It needs to do a few passes. I have 32GB 3200MHz ram (2x16GB). To run full ranks for 3 passes it is over 7hrs.

It really puzzles me that people think ram will run fine 100% of the time out of box. It’s the first stability test you can do without even installing windows. I have had brand new rams won’t run XMP speeds out of box and had to RMA etc. With AMD ram seems to be a bit more sensitive, so it is worth more to test the ram for stability and error. I would go to say probably do that test when you receive a prebuilt let alone a DIY system.

everyone who builds their own should know that your system is stable and know each component is working properly. Without doing stability/stress testing then you can’t tell for sure.

Associate
OP
Ram can be sensitive with Ryzen due to the way the cpu communicates trough the Infinity fabric.
Performance wise you wont see much if any difference with 3200mhz vs 3600mhz.
Ram-die like samsungs b-die or recently Microns E-die has been showing good compability with Ryzen.
I ordered crucial ballistixs 2x8 16gb 3600mhz for my set up for that reason.
I am slowly transitioning towards new mboard, later this autumn a new ryzen 4000 cpu.

came back to the pc after a couple of hours and it had rebooted again :(

An hour is generally not sufficient for memtest. It needs to do a few passes. I have 32GB 3200MHz ram (2x16GB). To run full ranks for 3 passes it is over 7hrs.

It really puzzles me that people think ram will run fine 100% of the time out of box. It’s the first stability test you can do without even installing windows. I have had brand new rams won’t run XMP speeds out of box and had to RMA etc. With AMD ram seems to be a bit more sensitive, so it is worth more to test the ram for stability and error. I would go to say probably do that test when you receive a prebuilt let alone a DIY system.

everyone who builds their own should know that your system is stable and know each component is working properly. Without doing stability/stress testing then you can’t tell for sure.

I hadn’t stopped memtest64 after the hour, it’s just it was a lot longer than I’d managed at 3600MHz.

I guess coming from an Intel system that uses Intel technology and is therefore less picky about memory, I’m bound to run into some niggling issues, but I won’t lie, I do kinda wish I’d just gone Intel this time round haha.

If the only setting that the memory is stable at turns out to be 2600 or whatever the default speed was, it will be getting returned as that’s a fair chunk lower than the advertised speed.

I will keep persisting for now though as I’m not generally beaten by computer issues.

Soldato
If it is XMP setting and it won’t run unless it is dialled down then I expect the ram is at fault.

intel AMD is regardless of faulty parts. It just happens. I got into a habit of testing components whenever I buy them new or used.

At least that way I am assured that I haven’t swapped something working for something not working.

Associate
OP
If it is XMP setting and it won’t run unless it is dialled down then I expect the ram is at fault.

intel AMD is regardless of faulty parts. It just happens. I got into a habit of testing components whenever I buy them new or used.

At least that way I am assured that I haven’t swapped something working for something not working.
I completely agree.

I have just done the timings/settings to what came up on the DRam calculator for ryzen and running memtest64 again to see if that helps at all. Failing that I think I’ll try the memory in the i7 9700k system I have and see if it performs ok in that pc.

Soldato
I completely agree.

I have just done the timings/settings to what came up on the DRam calculator for ryzen and running memtest64 again to see if that helps at all. Failing that I think I’ll try the memory in the i7 9700k system I have and see if it performs ok in that pc.
Ya if you got an alternative system to test the ram out it would be handy. As the ryzen memory controller is on chip and the infinity fabric is the channel for CPU-RAM bus or whatever AMD calls it. It could also be the CPU is faulty.

the AM4 motherboards don’t have any memory controller other than the PCB with circuits linking the ram slots to the CPU sockets so unlikely (famous last word) that would be the culprit.

Associate
OP
Changed the ram settings in the bios last night to reflect the settings that came up on the DRAM Calculator, and had memtest64 running for about 6 hours. Went to bed at 3am and left it running but when I came down at 8:30 it had rebooted. Not sure if it was the ram or something else because it was fine for 6 hours. Will have to run memtest64 again today I think.

wmb

wmb

Associate
Auros Elite with a 3600 and 2x8Gb of the Patriot Viper Steel DDR 4000 here. I've also had issue with this motherboard and random reboots and blue screen that appear to be RAM related. Indeed, this RAM is a replacement for Crucial Ballistix 3200 that also had issues. RAM is now running at 1.37 or 1.38v v now, with some tinkering of timings to run it at 3600 speed. However, I've found that the VCore "AUTO" default setting makes it the most unstable, I've set this to "Normal" added a small voltage offset (think its ~+0.03v) and this has reduced issues. Not certain it 100% stable yet I've slightly relaxed my RAM timings a few days back after last crash. I previously ran stable for some time by running some other CPU voltage setting but this was crippling performance. So I would suggest running the RAM at fairly relaxed timings, ignore the DRAM calculator, and getting your system stable by checking CPU voltage first.

Associate
OP
Auros Elite with a 3600 and 2x8Gb of the Patriot Viper Steel DDR 4000 here. I've also had issue with this motherboard and random reboots and blue screen that appear to be RAM related. Indeed, this RAM is a replacement for Crucial Ballistix 3200 that also had issues. RAM is now running at 1.37 or 1.38v v now, with some tinkering of timings to run it at 3600 speed. However, I've found that the VCore "AUTO" default setting makes it the most unstable, I've set this to "Normal" added a small voltage offset (think its ~+0.03v) and this has reduced issues. Not certain it 100% stable yet I've slightly relaxed my RAM timings a few days back after last crash. I previously ran stable for some time by running some other CPU voltage setting but this was crippling performance. So I would suggest running the RAM at fairly relaxed timings, ignore the DRAM calculator, and getting your system stable by checking CPU voltage first.
Thanks - I’m not very experienced at ram timings if I’m honest but will take a look at some YouTube videos.

I will keep persisting as I have a couple of weeks left to send the ram, cpu and/or motherboard back to A-Z if needed.

Associate
OP
Just a bit of an update. Since using the dram calculator’s ‘safe’ settings, I’ve had the ram at 3600MHz and had HeavyLoad stress test software running on CPU and Ram over night for 8hrs 40mins and the computer hasn’t rebooted.

I’m still not 100% confident in the reliability of the pc, but confidence will grow over time if the computer behaves, but so far looks good :)

Soldato
I don't understand why you are waiting for reboots when running memtest. If you create a bootup USB stick with memtest it'll thoroughly test the memory correctly. This is what I did when I had issues with running xmp2 with my team group memory at it's correct speed...

Back
Top Bottom