Australian Election - Labor win

Caporegime
I think the lamely named teal independents should create a new party as there's clearly an appetite for another one alongside the Greens.

In addition to that... Alternative Voting is poopy and Australia should just have Single Transferable Voting across the board.

Caporegime
I think the lamely named teal independents should create a new party as there's clearly an appetite for another one alongside the Greens.

The independents are too diverse to form a new party. Not all of them are teal, some are orange. Frankly, I'm happy for them to remain as individuals. We already have plenty of other parties alongside the Greens (e.g. United Australia Party, One Nation, Australian Federation Party). They just don't have much support.

UAP and One Nation have been absolutely crushed in this election. One Nation only had a single Senate seat, and it looks like they'll be losing that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it is a comprehensive rejection of the Liberals but only a cautious endorsement of Labor. Greens and independents are the big winners, reflecting widespread dissatisfaction with the two major parties. Voters are tired of just see-sawing between political narratives, they want real change.
Spot on that statement. I feel Albo has almost won by default. I didn't vote for either of the two so feel a bit like I wasted my vote, couldn't bring myself to do it even after voting Liberal in the past in what was a safe seat but now gone to Labour (Higgins). I just hope the evolution of politics can bring us a viable third party. Morrison is a proven failure, Albanese just a probable one.

On another note, can you share details of your solar installation inc costs?

Soldato
I was wondering if the Australian Labor party are like the UK Labor party who are funded primarily by trade unions. If so just how much influence and power does the coal miners union in Australia have over policymakers and the economy?

Caporegime
I was wondering if the Australian Labor party are like the UK Labor party who are funded primarily by trade unions.

They are.

If so just how much influence and power does the coal miners union in Australia have over policymakers and the economy?

The Mining and Energy Union has 20,000 members. They definitely have leverage when it comes to policies related to the coal industry, and they are highly vocal. The big parties don't want to upset them because there's so much money involved.

Forestry and mining are the two big sticking points for politicians who want to achieve serious action on climate change. They are massive industries with an enormous amount of influence.

Caporegime
Spot on that statement. I feel Albo has almost won by default. I didn't vote for either of the two so feel a bit like I wasted my vote, couldn't bring myself to do it even after voting Liberal in the past in what was a safe seat but now gone to Labour (Higgins). I just hope the evolution of politics can bring us a viable third party. Morrison is a proven failure, Albanese just a probable one.

Agreed.

On another note, can you share details of your solar installation inc costs?

Two 5kW Goodwe inverters, one of them limited so the total setup doesn't exceed 8.25kW.

It cost me ~$5,600. I went with a local, independent company that's been around for a couple of decades. They did a great job, very neat installation.

The system is extremely robust, it survived a hailstorm that badly dented a ton of cars (and broke their windscreens), smashed the windows of a local school, and destroyed all my skylights. The solar panels weren't even scratched.

Soldato
Great news that Australia will get a more environmentally conscious government. Australia might be one of the best placed countries in the world for sustainable energy.
> massively sunny, and huge areas of land which could be turned over to solar panels.
> have their own uranium mines and massive sparsely populated areas (even on the coastline there are sparse areas further away from cities) to put nuclear plants far away from NIMBYs.

Such a shame they've been so slow to move away from fossil fuels, which is extra bizarre given climate change is such a clear threat to them.

Caporegime
Great news that Australia will get a more environmentally conscious government. Australia might be one of the best placed countries in the world for sustainable energy.
> massively sunny, and huge areas of land which could be turned over to solar panels.
> have their own uranium mines and massive sparsely populated areas (even on the coastline there are sparse areas further away from cities) to put nuclear plants far away from NIMBYs.

Such a shame they've been so slow to move away from fossil fuels, which is extra bizarre given climate change is such a clear threat to them.

We need nuclear power. We should have switched to it 30 years ago, but neither of the big parties are brave enough to bite the bullet.

Soldato
It's good to see another democracy were people have the option of voting for, and electing, people not of the main two political parties.

I think we need to be doing that more in the UK.

Soldato
Our new PM is an Italian Australian who was raised in a council house by a single mother. A refreshing change from the blue blood upper middle class nuffies we're usually saddled with by the LNP.
Upper middle class lol, that's nothing. What you want is an aristocrat who can measure their station in life by where they in line the throne.

Soldato
It's good to see another democracy were people have the option of voting for, and electing, people not of the main two political parties.

I think we need to be doing that more in the UK.

Maybe reserve judgement for how well their government actually does, it's good to see people get into power if they're actually competent

Soldato
Agreed.

Two 5kW Goodwe inverters, one of them limited so the total setup doesn't exceed 8.25kW.

It cost me ~$5,600. I went with a local, independent company that's been around for a couple of decades. They did a great job, very neat installation.

The system is extremely robust, it survived a hailstorm that badly dented a ton of cars (and broke their windscreens), smashed the windows of a local school, and destroyed all my skylights. The solar panels weren't even scratched.
Good stuff. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom