Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2017, Melbourne - Race 1/20

Rate the race: 2017 Australian Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Three prickly miserable ****s and Daniel Riccardo. F1 badly needs someone like him as champion, rather than those 3 dour looking ****s.
Are you watching the same video as me? Seemed pretty light-hearted on all parts once the serious question was out of the way.

Soldato
I haven't commented on F1 for a while now, simply because there is very little competition and it has become the Mercedes show. By rights, Hamilton should have won almost every race, during the last few years.

For commedy though, I do keep tabs on McLaren. And I see that they continue to go from low, to new low.
Alonso is attempting the almost impossible feat of making the top 10, while his team-mate is lingering towards the back, which is where that shambles of a McLaren, belongs.
About 2 years ago, I did say that McLaren should ditch Honda and try and make a deal with Mercedes (engines). By making the switch mid-season, they can start work on the following year's car early, thus giving Alonso a car which is almost as quick as Merc. I was laughed at for suggesting this, but it looks like McLaren's only hope of not being out of the top 10 is to make a deal for a customer engine. Even last year's Merc engine would be better than the joke which Honda are supplying.

I often wonder if there is a saboteur in Honda's midst. Surely, such a resource-rich company cannot be so incompetent that they produce turkey after turkey. And just when you think they couldn't produce a worse engine, the next year, they succeed in producing something worse. If I was so consistently bad at my job, I'd have been fired and I wouldn't bear any grudges.

In any case, I think it would be wise to write off this season and start focusing on next year's car. Most likely, McLaren's best hope is to compete for 8th-10th place and if this does happen, this will probably be Alonso's last season with them. If however, they can show that they are taking genuine steps (eg. getting a new engine and developing next season's car early), this may give hope to Alonso, who may stay.

Soldato
Three prickly miserable ****s and Daniel Riccardo. F1 badly needs someone like him as champion, rather than those 3 dour looking ****s.
s4qc.jpg

Man of Honour
That mclaren is all over the place. You can't just blame the engine. It is sliding all over the place.

The cars really are beautiful this year, minus the fin and T-wing.

Liking the new graphics.

Those Mercedes have so much grip. I suspect they have a lot more in the bag.

Caporegime
I think Honda need to basically say 'screw the penalties' and develop the engine as quickly as they can. If they can show reliability and performance by the summer break McLaren will be happy enough I think. Doesn't matter if they take penalties every race before then.

Man of Honour
I think Honda need to basically say 'screw the penalties' and develop the engine as quickly as they can. If they can show reliability and performance by the summer break McLaren will be happy enough I think. Doesn't matter if they take penalties every race before then.

Mclaren are screwed anyway. Honda engine won't ever be in a position to help them win. Mercedes engine won't allow them to win.

Caporegime
Will Mercedes be happy if all of McLaren's issues are down to the engine and with their engine they're fighting with Mercedes? At the moment no customer team is a match. Both Mercedes and Ferrari have already shown they won't supply a direct competitor.

Man of Honour
Will Mercedes be happy if all of McLaren's issues are down to the engine and with their engine they're fighting with Mercedes? At the moment no customer team is a match. Both Mercedes and Ferrari have already shown they won't supply a direct competitor.

The mclaren aero package is nowhere near. The car is a nightmare in practice. Also, no customer teams gets the latest engine version.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Wasn't a lot of the Merc performance down to the mapping and the oil?

Soldato
McLaren were both slow and unreliable in testing. Today they've shown they can do lots of laps so definitely a step forward for them. Let's wait and see where they are after qualifying....

Caporegime
McLaren were both slow and unreliable in testing. Today they've shown they can do lots of laps so definitely a step forward for them. Let's wait and see where they are after qualifying....

If, as has been reported, they're shifting up hundreds, if not thousands of RPM early, I do wonder if they'll even run at full power in the race. I also worry that they might not even get the 107% in qualifying and have to go beg the stewards to be allowed to race. I can't see them not being allowed to race, but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom