Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 1/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (1) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The new Merc livery is starting to grow on me. I have to say when I first seen it I wasnt a fan, not because of the colour but because I'm not a fan, at all, of the sport being politicised. Dont get me wrong, I dont disagree with the message, and by all means drivers/teams can have their campaigns, viewpoints and stuff.
But when it comes to on track stuff, leave it out, let the racing do the talking. I'm sick to the back teeth of having stuff rammed down my neck every time I turn on TV or look at social media. It just dosnt interest me, I want to see racing not teams campaigning for whatever flavor of social justice is in fashion that week.

But that said, I really am starting to love the new Merc colours, both the cars and the suits, very mean looking! So glad to have real racing back!!!

Soldato
I think our new livery in the sun is looking brilliant, makes all the highlights and sponsorship logos pop :D

Although it has just tipped it down

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised. I thought you were better than that.
You think less of him for it? Why?
I wouldnt turn off because of it, but I can understand the sentiment.
I dunno if he shares the same viewpoint as me, he may have darker reasons behind it for all I know, but as far as I have seen he has not stated that here.
For me the over-politicisation of sport is getting out of hand, these drivers and teams have social media platforms that they can preach on all day, I just wish they would leave it out from the race weekend.

Anyway I'll stop there, i'm not gonna harp on anymore about it.

Back on topic. Has there been any further info on the Merc DAS situation since earlier in the thread? Would it even be beneficial at Austria? Really keen to see it in action.
The way I see it is, with a shorter season there is more risk, should the stewards deem DAS illegal (Despite FIA) there is a chance of DQ if they run it and a DQ with fewer races could seriously hurt the title chances of both team and drivers if Ferrari or RB are closer this year.

Gonna be interesting to see which team has managed to sneak in the most development during lockdown.

Soldato
You think less of him for it? Why?
I wouldnt turn off because of it, but I can understand the sentiment.
I dunno if he shares the same viewpoint as me, he may have darker reasons behind it for all I know, but as far as I have seen he has not stated that here.
For me the over-politicisation of sport is getting out of hand, these drivers and teams have social media platforms that they can preach on all day, I just wish they would leave it out from the race weekend.

Anyway I'll stop there, i'm not gonna harp on anymore about it.

Back on topic. Has there been any further info on the Merc DAS situation since earlier in the thread? Would it even be beneficial at Austria? Really keen to see it in action.
The way I see it is, with a shorter season there is more risk, should the stewards deem DAS illegal (Despite FIA) there is a chance of DQ if they run it and a DQ with fewer races could seriously hurt the title chances of both team and drivers if Ferrari or RB are closer this year.

Gonna be interesting to see which team has managed to sneak in the most development during lockdown.

all teams had an enforced shutdown instead of the traditional shutdown, so there hasn’t been as much time as you’d think. But the packages already in development would have continued so will be interesting to see who has what.

Man of Honour
Surprised. I thought you were better than that.

Im tired of the hypocrisy and double standards. Especially from F1, it wasn’t that long ago that they turned a blind eye to the Hamilton monkey banners in the stands. I’m all for black lives matter, but I’m sick of organisations jumping on the bandwagon with little to back it up.

Soldato
Im tired of the hypocrisy and double standards. Especially from F1, it wasn’t that long ago that they turned a blind eye to the Hamilton monkey banners in the stands. I’m all for black lives matter, but I’m sick of organisations jumping on the bandwagon with little to back it up.
That I can completely understand, although in F1s case it's in large part due to the new ownership. Bernie and Max would sweep issues like this under the carpet. Liberty have the opposite approach and seem to be actively encouraging teams to get involved with these social movements. However as a fan it seems to me that actively rejecting a sport you follow just because of drivers wanting to show support for a marginalised section of society seems counter productive at best.

However @steve45 is right, this thread isn't really the place for this discussion.

Soldato
Merc are treating the audience as idiots with that paint scheme, I was a Hamilton fan but it's hard now he's such a hypocrite, living in Monaco buying his expensive toys.

I actually hope Max wins it this year

Soldato
Merc are treating the audience as idiots with that paint scheme, I was a Hamilton fan but it's hard now he's such a hypocrite, living in Monaco buying his expensive toys.

I actually hope Max wins it this year

What has Hamilton's residence and spending got to do with his skin colour or the colour of his car? Why do you think that he's a hypocrite?

Caporegime
It's kind of hypocritical to support a movement demanding slavery reparations whilst working for a company that benefited from slavery in WW2. I'm guessing reparations to Jewish families won't be a demand of his new contract, nah just changing the colour of the car to be more woke will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom