Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2021, Spielberg - Race 9/23

Rate the Austeian Grand Prix 2021 out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
QPTCHyC.png
Spielberg
When was the track built?
The fearsome, original Osterreichring was originated in 1969 as a replacement for the Zeltweg airfield circuit. The track known today as the Red Bull Ring was more or less created over the winter of 1995-6, when Hermann Tilke was engaged to turn the Osterreichring into a shorter, more modern race track.

When was its first Grand Prix?
The A1-Ring, as it was then called, was opened in 1996, with Formula 1 arriving at the circuit a year later. Jacques Villeneuve won the race, while Jean Alesi had a spectacular crash when his Benetton climbed up the Ferrari of Eddie Irvine. Alesi’s team mate Gerhard Berger, meanwhile, used his home Grand Prix to announce his F1 retirement.

What’s the circuit like?
It’s only wee, bless it, but the Red Bull Ring packs a lot into a short lap. The first half rewards power, as the cars blast along three straights separated by a pair of uphill right-handers. But then as the drivers work their way downhill, the circuit becomes a regular toboggan ride, as the cars canyon through a series of quick corners, including the exhilarating Rindt right-hander, named for Austria’s first F1 champion.

TV Times
Sky:
c8l3PaS.png

C4:
Sat - Quali Highlights 6.30pm
Sun - Race Highlights 6.30pm

Track Diagram & Information

DQhG0WF.png

Weather Forecast
REo5i9S.png

2020 Race highlights

WDC Standings
U1rJZGF.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
LL67V6I.png

Practice 1
Wut9WGf.png

Practice 2
oMecilU.png

Practice 3
FJGghE9.png

Qualifying
PM2LY4i.png

Race
N0l5bsG.png

Last edited:
Associate
It's gonna be awesome.. there will be a huge pileup at turn one involving both Mercs and Red Bulls and Lando, Danny Ricc and George will zoom through unscathed to secure win and podium places. The end! :)

Associate
It does seem a dull track anyway so not ideal for TWO races. I mean Sakhir they ran 2 layouts which made it interesting. I'd have rather the ORIGINAL calendar had included Turkey and NOT two races at same circuit but glad to see Turkey is back anyway. Great track and last years race was awesome

Soldato
Austria is a long way from being the worst circuit, you can actually overtake here after all. There are plenty of circuits that would be worse to visit for a double-header weekend. Would love 2 races at Spa instead mind :D

Associate
Austria is a long way from being the worst circuit, you can actually overtake here after all. There are plenty of circuits that would be worse to visit for a double-header weekend. Would love 2 races at Spa instead mind :D

I have visited 2 circuits for live races.. Silverstone in 99 and Spa in 2016 when Lewis started 21st and finished on podium. It's been my favourite track since the early 90s!

Man of Honour
What?!
A track with a short lap with 3 clear overtaking positions, meaning plenty of opportunities over a race for overtaking. It's got plenty of height variation so looks interesting and is a challenge for drivers. Under what metric can you describe this circuit as pants?! :confused:

Did we already forget the last weeks race or something?

Soldato
It wasn't hugely memorable, but there was significantly more action on track than a large number of other circuits in the calendar. Can't see how one average race can bring us to the conclusion that the track is pants, it wasn't the track itself that lead to the racing being a bit dull at points. The races here last year were really good from memory!

Back
Top Bottom