Auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.

Associate
Building my first gaming PC and had a couple queries with regards the fans I'm using and how they work.

Motherboard I'm using is the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming which can be configured using Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.

I plan to use a 4 pin PWM fan for the CPU and three 3 pin DC fans for the case.

Queries are -

1) Can all the fans run in their respective modes simultaneously ie the PWM fan runs in PWM mode and the DC fans run in DC mode? (Manufacturer info states every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans so assume this is the case)

2) Can temperature control the speed of the fans regardless if they are PWM or DC?

Any help will be much appreciated
Cheers

Soldato
1) Sounds like the motherboard manufacturer has said so. In general, I've found each header can be configured as DC or PWM individually, just like their speeds can be controlled independently. They're not all just wired together to a single source inside the board.

2) This would have to be true - "DC mode" means DC voltage control. All fans have a DC voltage supply or they wouldn't run. PWM fans have a 12V DC supply and vary their speed based on the PWM control signal on the 4th wire. Whereas with DC mode, fans are speed-controlled by varying the DC voltage supplying them.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom