1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autumn Budget 2021

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by robfosters, 27 Oct 2021.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

Half an hour away. Let’s see which of us are winners and losers in this possibly punishing budget.

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Keir Starmer has tested positive for Covid. PMQs will be handled by Ed Milliband, and Rachel Reeves will respond to the budget.

3. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Hmm thats handy.

4. 200sols

Sgarrista

Keir Starmer, missing in action. Hasn't most of the budget already been leaked with a photoshoot of Rishi and his dog?

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

These numbers seem more than a little optimistic. I wonder to what extent the OBR have factored supply chain shortages into their forecasts?

How can he literally give figures for debt showing it rising and then bark "Debt! Down!"?

6. Jokester

Don

Free money for all!

7. robfosters

Caporegime

Except the poorest

8. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Significant increases in public spending. Good to see, but I wonder how all this really compares to the cuts of the Austerity era? Are they essentially just unwinding the damage the Tories have already done.

Also, £5bn for post-Covid education, that's a third of what their own education Tsar recommended.

9. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Lower airport passenger duty for internal flights?!?

10. Jokester

Don

That business rate excemption will be abused like no end.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

It ends the ludicrous situation where you pay more apd on internal flights than international ones. Given the poor rail and road infrastructure of the UK, and the widespread opposition to any attempts to do anything about it (see opposition to both new rail and new road), it makes total sense.

12. robfosters

Caporegime

Yay! Cheaper beer :D

13. explicit4u

Capodecina

Did he say leaving the EU has enabled this alcohol duty reform? Has he bought alcohol in the EU before?

Ludicrous? Why would you want to encourage more people to take internal flights? At least with international flights you usually have no other option than the fly.

If they also cut back HS2's eastern leg then this policy makes zero sense.

14. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Alcohol tax reform all sounds sensible, but I suspect there will be angry losers in the small print, just as was when they tried to unify the tax on beer and cider a while back. Draught relief seems a decent idea, but 5% doesn't sound like it's enough to really make a big difference to me.

I still think they should separate on and off duty rates to cut pub prices.

Oh, look, fuel duty rise cancelled again FFS.

15. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

I will wait on the independent analysis. We will then see what is new money and what is promises already made months ago rehashed. The parental intervention seems to be just the Labour 'sure start' that the Tories got rid off. How much money is just bringing back some funds they removed under austerity.

16. McBain

Capodecina

Pleased to hear about the funding for 1,000,000 pothole fixes. That should just about sort Preston out.

17. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

It was great theatre, very positive in tone.

Of course it was never going to be anything else. They really should remember they have been in power for 11 years though.

PS. I though Ed gave Boris a good run for his money in PMQs. Starmer always looks a little pained. Just keep Ed away from the bananas!

18. Semple

Sgarrista

5% drop in beer will be about 30p on a pint for me.

I think an increase in fuel duty would be a kick in the teeth for some after energy prices have rocketed.

19. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

The bbc suggest it’s more like 3p, I’ve not read the budget but the relief will be on the duty, not the cost of the pint. The duty is a small fraction of the total cost unlike fuel. There is a zero percent chance that will be passed on to the consumer, ergo a pointless giveaway as no one is quibbling over 3p. Tim Martin wants a 15% VAT cut permanently (which wouldn’t be passed on either).

Air passenger duty and fuel duty will no doubt get the backs up of a certain audience and I’d probably agree with them. There doesn’t ever seem to be a ‘good time’ to increase fuel duty, it’s been canned at the last few budgets for political reasons. France just banned internal flights where there is a reasonable train connection. That would have been a more interesting announcement but they don’t want to impact the aviation industry at the moment.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2021
  20. Tony Edwards

Soldato

All of it?