Auxiliary/fog/daytime running lights

Man of Honour
I have just bought a BMW R1200RT primarily for commuting on. It’s a police spec bike so comes with engine bars which could accommodate lights if necessary.

I’ve been looking into getting some, primarily for conspicuity. The logic I have been basing this on is that it is easier for other motorists to judge your velocity of they have two lights spaced apart to aid their judgement. However, I’ve stumbled upon another conflicting viewpoint- that in darkness, the two lights could be mistaken for a car much farther away.

There is a US DoT study which was partly inconclusive but recommended that a pair of low mounted lights on the front of a bike resulted in car drivers at junctions building in bigger safety margins.

What say you OcUK? Anyone have actual experience of using these lights?

For what it’s worth I’m not really bothered by aesthetics, this bike will be a commuting tool and anything I can do to help keep myself alive is fair game!

Thanks.

Associate
I run a pair on my GSA, have them set just under the dipped beam. I like to think they are helping, but who knows?

Because of my shift hours I won't be riding in the dark til at least October time. But it is like having car headlamps on a bike, the light coming off them is brilliant including the led GSA headlamp, compared to my previous commuting bikes or any bikes come to that!

Funnily enough I've watched a few vids over the past few days about this..

Denali's new DRLs

..and what you mention about the studies is mentioned in this vid..

Man of Honour
OP
I really like the look of those Denali DRLs, exactly the sort of thing I’m after. They aren’t retina burning spotlights but very bright diffused lights. Can’t seem to find a UK supplier though, but I suppose that’s because they are new.

Are your lights aftermarket? If so, how have you fitted them? Did you need a controller to trick the electrics or did you wire them straight into the battery?

Soldato
Depending on the wattage/draw you can probably connect them directly to CANBUS to power them. Bonus is CANBUS is switched ignition live and you can buy OEM repair cable/plugs which you can just attach to your new lights. I did the same on my S1000R for powering GPS unit.

I'd be surprised if the R1200RT doesn't already have a CANBUS or similar AUX header for lighting.

Soldato
Depending on the wattage/draw you can probably connect them directly to CANBUS to power them. Bonus is CANBUS is switched ignition live and you can buy OEM repair cable/plugs which you can just attach to your new lights. I did the same on my S1000R for powering GPS unit.

I'd be surprised if the R1200RT doesn't already have a CANBUS or similar AUX header for lighting.

All modern BMWs do i believe, the R1200s (R, RT, GS etc) sure have CANBUS anyway. Though for the R and RT i wouldn't be surprised if the access is crammed at the back somewhere :p

Like the idea of the fork LEDs, they look cool.

Associate
I really like the look of those Denali DRLs, exactly the sort of thing I’m after. They aren’t retina burning spotlights but very bright diffused lights. Can’t seem to find a UK supplier though, but I suppose that’s because they are new.

Are your lights aftermarket? If so, how have you fitted them? Did you need a controller to trick the electrics or did you wire them straight into the battery?

No I've got the BMW spot lamps on mine, connected into the main system. I will be getting the Denali CANsmart controller so I can add extra gadgets/lights etc.

I've taken a pair of pics with the lights on, just above the beam cut off and in the beam. Can't see how a car driver could mistake the pattern for a car in the distance.

20180730_134959.jpg

20180730_134945.jpg

20180730_134939.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
No I've got the BMW spot lamps on mine, connected into the main system. I will be getting the Denali CANsmart controller so I can add extra gadgets/lights etc.

I've taken a pair of pics with the lights on, just above the beam cut off and in the beam. Can't see how a car driver could mistake the pattern for a car in the distance.

20180730_134959.jpg

20180730_134945.jpg

20180730_134939.jpg
That’s portable sun territory! No SMIDSY for you :D
Yes the triangle pattern does look different enough IMO.

You need this rather :D
God no!

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Picked up a set of DRL's off Ebay years ago & they've been on the bike ever since, car's do seem to hold off a bit longer before making a move at junctions, there's no way ide be with out them now tbh, especially as I work long shifts & use my bike all year round, they've proven to be a god send during winter time after time.

wLgZ28A.jpg

Associate
I have just bought a BMW R1200RT primarily for commuting on. It’s a police spec bike so comes with engine bars which could accommodate lights if necessary.

I’ve been looking into getting some, primarily for conspicuity. The logic I have been basing this on is that it is easier for other motorists to judge your velocity of they have two lights spaced apart to aid their judgement. However, I’ve stumbled upon another conflicting viewpoint- that in darkness, the two lights could be mistaken for a car much farther away.

There is a US DoT study which was partly inconclusive but recommended that a pair of low mounted lights on the front of a bike resulted in car drivers at junctions building in bigger safety margins.

What say you OcUK? Anyone have actual experience of using these lights?

For what it’s worth I’m not really bothered by aesthetics, this bike will be a commuting tool and anything I can do to help keep myself alive is fair game!

Thanks.

For an RT get a quote from BMW for there own lights that will just plug straight into the Can-Bus system. Actually give Motoworks a shout and get the 2nd hand its all plug and play with the can-bus system.

Then at a later date if you want to add more lights fit the Ez-Can system and take a look at the Clearwater lights they do some absolute monsters :)

Associate
Denali kit turned up for my bike today, spent best part of the day installing it all. Most of the time was spent routing the cables and faffing about reinstalling the panels. Typically over engineered plastic German kit!

Pleased with results. Canbus control on the GS makes all the difference, using the BMW switchgear to control everything, rather than aftermarket switches bolted to the handlebars.

Box of goodies from Nippy Normans..

20181001_093832.jpg

Lots of boxes!

20181001_094151.jpg

Strip down to fit..

20181001_102435.jpg

Lights and bracket installed

20181001_105916.jpg

Soundbomb next..

20181001_104609.jpg

Then the CanSmart controller, the thing is tiny

20181001_113258.jpg

Whilst it's stripped, swap out the DIN socket for a dual USB

20181001_131635.jpg

Finally all back together, just wait until darkness to align everything up

20181001_162649.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
You sir have a portable sun on the front of your bike! Looks great. How to you rate the sound bomb?

I still haven’t got round to getting lights yet. Spent all of my bike budget on a new Shoei Neotec 2, Wunderlich Vario Bar risers and a Sargent seat.

Associate
It's stupidly loud, but not in a bad way. Had a few close calls on my commutes lately, with the nights drawing in bikers need all the help they can get to be seen/heard.

If I get a white van man to spill his Costa, then it's paid for itself :D

Really like the look of the Neotec 2 lids, my one (original Neotec) is coming up for 5 years old. I've been toying with an ADV style helmet like the Arai Tour X4, but really like the modular style, so handy when you're on a trip.

Back
Top Bottom