Average age of VR enthusiasts

Soldato
I'm not in the first flush of youth, but a quick poll in work indicates that the yoof are not into VR.
Of the 30 or so guys I work with, only those in their 40's or older have even tried it.
A couple of guys with kids have PSVR but I don't think that really counts.
I've taken the Q2 to work and the PS/X-box kids are blown away by it.

Is it an age specific hobby?

Soldato
48 here. However, it was my son who recommended it when I decided to build a sim rig a few years ago. (26 at the time)

He doesn't use VR himself though.

Associate
68 here going on 69. Been with VR since the start and really enjoy it. Using MSFS 2020 Flight Sim and its really good with a Quest 2 and cable.

Soldato
55 here. Yeah it's strange that it all seems to be older gamers getting into VR. I could see that for PC VR older gamers might have more disposable income, but Quest headsets are cheap and don't require expensive PCs.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Part of the reason is probably the “cost of entry”, which we know isn’t cheap to not only buy the headset, but then ensure the PC has sufficient grunt.

Permabanned
46 here, only just got into VR since the Quest 2 launched. The entry price and general flaws with previous headsets has always put me off.

(Not that the Quest 2 ended up being cheap with all the extras I bought.....)

Strange though, my kids love it, have played all the games to death so now I need more.....:)

Soldato
Part of the reason is probably the “cost of entry”, which we know isn’t cheap to not only buy the headset, but then ensure the PC has sufficient grunt.

Magic of the quest 2 is you don't need that grunt. Though playing Asgards Wrath has been fun. My dad doesn't use his PC to play games on his headset though (no idea if he'd have a good enough graphics card or not), he's more into the video experiences, but plays a bit with me. I know he enjoyed mission ISS, and we go fishing together regularly.

Associate
55 here. got my quest 2 about 3 weeks ago to use with sim racing and after connecting immediately decided to upgrade pc. Ordered the pyrite system with a 3060 ti. Just got an email to say it is being shipped cannot wait !!

Soldato
Ah, that explains Beat Saber!! You are only a young fella!! :p

49 here.

And going by the results so far, it seems to be for old people!! :D

Yeah, only 8 years past my peak reaction times. Got some buggered elbows, shoulders don't seem to get blood properly (cramp up really fast), and a dodgy back that goes occassionally when I sleep wrong :D. Still, having not played rugby in over a year, I'm probably less damaged than usual :D.

Soldato
Im 40 and I have had the DK2 for about 2-3 yrs now,, cant really use it much as I havent any hand controllers. Im thinking about getting the Quest 2, because you getting loads for your money with that.

Associate
66 here, started with the rift ,then the S version, now Quest 2.Having fun with driving sims mainly, but if it wasn't for lockdown the grandchildren not in my bubble would be wanting to take over it bless em.

Back
Top Bottom