Avicii dies age 28

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Honestly I don't know how people manage to go through life not knowing who he is. Even if you people don't listen to his music they'll have heard it in shops / shopping centres / events / whatever. The "who?" response in this case really speaks volumes about people tbh. Must be a hermit luddite.
Can you name all of the elevator music you hear? This is an ageing forum with ageing members. It's quite common for people to be completely out of the loop of popular culture.

As for Avicii - didn't like his stuff but gotta respect his achievements. RIP.

Soldato
Just because someone had a couple of numbers 1 hits doesn't mean everyone should know who he is. We're in the age on Spotify, YouTube and on demand TV, people are more likely to be stuck in their own little bubble than ever before to be honest.

Soldato
Seen the name, clicked through a few songs yesterday and some of it sounded vaguely familiar from the gym, although I could be wrong as I'm a headphones guy.

28, just crazy young to die.

Soldato
Yeah, not quite sure how these are trashy, coming in at number 1 and 2 on the UK charts.

Depends on your point of view of what trashy is, there's nothing wrong with saying something sounds ***** if that's your opinion, I'm sure there's music you consider to be terrible

Coming in at number 1 or 2 though means nothing when it comes to pop music when you are towering among greatest hits like

Mr blobby
Aqua's Barbie girl
The ketchup song

and..... The ******* teletubbies

Permabanned
Depends on your point of view of what trashy is, there's nothing wrong with saying something sounds ***** if that's your opinion, I'm sure there's music you consider to be terrible

Coming in at number 1 or 2 though means nothing when it comes to pop music when you are towering among greatest hits like

Mr blobby
Aqua's Barbie girl
The ketchup song

and..... The ******* teletubbies

Yeah I guess you are right in terms of the number 1's part.
Googles definition of Trashy is "(especially of items of popular culture) of poor quality" If you class them two songs as poor quality then I don't know what to say...

Soldato
Yeah I guess you are right in terms of the number 1's part.
Googles definition of Trashy is "(especially of items of popular culture) of poor quality" If you class them two songs as poor quality then I don't know what to say...

Depends what you look for in music though

I prefer complex composition in the melody over anything else and consider simple melodies which are often found in pop music as cheesy and not something I enjoy, trashy might sound harsh but I can understand why someone would use such a word

Can't fault the sound engineering side of things though, that's always top notch in pop music even if most if not all is done by actual sound engineers rather than the artists

Permabanned
Yeah, not quite sure how these are trashy, coming in at number 1 and 2 on the UK charts.

These are just my opinions and I have no problem with others enjoying his music so don't get triggered by what im about to write...

Its lowest common denominator EDM pop music.

It's some of the most beige and mundane music ever created. Awful generic synth presets playing simplistic kiddy melodies and utilising every dance cliche in the book. The production is ultra clean and the end product just sounds 'plastic' and 'soulless' for lack of a better description. There is no depth or subtlety to anything.

Its the kind of music you'd expect to hear in an IKEA advert or in a shopping mall... just horrifically bland and middle of the road, the kind of electronic music you could imagine your 10 year old niece getting down to.

Don't get me wrong he was undoubetedly good/talented at making that kind of music but for myself and many others that kind of music is nothing more than all the worst/most generic elements of electronic music all wrapped up into one giant pile of disposable cheese ridden dross.

He was though by all accounts a very nice guy and dying at the age of 28 is horrendous.

Last edited:
Permabanned
These are just my opinions and I have no problem with others enjoying his music so don't get triggered by what im about to write...

Its lowest common denominator EDM pop music.

It's some of the most beige and mundane music ever created. Awful generic synth presets playing simplistic kiddy melodies and utilising every dance cliche in the book. The production is ultra clean and the end product just sounds 'plastic' and 'soulless' for lack of a better description.

Its the kind of music you'd expect to hear in an IKEA advert or in a shopping mall... just horrifically bland and middle of the road, the kind of electronic music you could imagine your 10 year old niece getting down to.

Don't get me wrong he was undoubetedly good/talented at making that kind of music but for myself and many others that kind of music is nothing more than all the worst/most generic elements of electronic music all wrapped up into one giant pile of disposable cheese ridden dross.

He was though by all accounts a very nice guy and dying at the age of 28 is horrendous.

I bet you are fun at parties.

Permabanned
Im not old, I just don't like EDM... like millions of people. I just got back from Fabric a couple hours ago. I go out every other weekend to various nights in London.

Its amusing you think you have to be old to think EDM is gash though.

https://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listing/1565

Every DJ playing there tonight plays electronic/dance though?

I am not a huge fan but I like some of it.

Permabanned
https://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listing/1565

Every DJ playing there tonight plays electronic/dance though?

I am not a huge fan but I like some of it.

I love electronic music, it's my biggest love as far as music goes but its an extremely varied style of music. For example Aphex Twin/Squarepusher etc are electronic music but have absolutely nothing in common whatsoever with Avicii or Calvin Harris, the musical styles are miles apart and the only thing they have in common was that they were created on computers.

"EDM" is a term primarily used to describe mainstream 'big room' dance music such as Martin Garrix, David Guetta, Laidback Luke, Marshemello etc. Its a term that was coined by American marketing execs when electronic music started to blow up big time in the US for the first time around 2007/2008, they needed a cool new term to market and sell the music to the kids and this is what they went with.

Back
Top Bottom