Avicii dies age 28

Permabanned
I love electronic music, it's my biggest love as far as music goes but its an extremely varied style of music. For example Aphex Twin/Squarepusher etc are electronic music but have absolutely nothing in common whatsoever with Avicii or Calvin Harris, the musical styles are miles apart and the only thing they have in common was that they were created on computers.

"EDM" is a term primarily used to describe mainstream 'big room' dance music such as Martin Garrix, David Guetta, Laidback Luke, Marshemello etc. Its a term that was coined by American marketing execs when electronic music started to blow up big time in the US for the first time around 2007/2008, they needed a cool new term to market and sell the music to the kids and this is what they went with.

Ahh right! Now I gotcha, didn't realise it was coined differently. I see it mainly used as a umbrella term for a lot of subgenres of music now.

Permabanned
Ahh right! Now I gotcha, didn't realise it was coined differently. I see it mainly used as a umbrella term for a lot of subgenres of music now.

No worries, lots of people who aren't immersed within electronic music culture think its an umbrella term for all electronic music but if you go to any club night marketed as 'EDM' then you're only going to hear that mainstream big room sound, you won't be hearing any drum and bass, grime, idm, minimal house/techno etc.

Soldato
These are just my opinions and I have no problem with others enjoying his music so don't get triggered by what im about to write...

Its lowest common denominator EDM pop music.

It's some of the most beige and mundane music ever created. Awful generic synth presets playing simplistic kiddy melodies and utilising every dance cliche in the book. The production is ultra clean and the end product just sounds 'plastic' and 'soulless' for lack of a better description. There is no depth or subtlety to anything.

Its the kind of music you'd expect to hear in an IKEA advert or in a shopping mall... just horrifically bland and middle of the road, the kind of electronic music you could imagine your 10 year old niece getting down to.

Don't get me wrong he was undoubetedly good/talented at making that kind of music but for myself and many others that kind of music is nothing more than all the worst/most generic elements of electronic music all wrapped up into one giant pile of disposable cheese ridden dross.

He was though by all accounts a very nice guy and dying at the age of 28 is horrendous.

This actually is quite true.

There was quite a good documentary on BBC4 that i saw a while back and is still available for the next 6 days http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gk664

They analyse 'pop' music from the last 50 yrs to see if they can create the 'perfect' pop music. The note things like punk music / early 90s dance music etc which skew the popular bands at the time, however, the Avicii brand of dance music is probably closer to the bland middle of the road stuff that will chart high because its popular with the kids these days. They set the current level of blandness to Taylor Swift but I did laugh when they compared her to the Beatles being quite bland and middle of the road as well cos they both have mass appeal and hence chart quite well. :D

Also, at the time of this thread being started the BBC changed the front page image of Avicii from a coke fueled staring pic to something a bit more normal :p

Caporegime

Well in the early 2000s it was a catch all term for electronic music, it only really became a subgenre of dance much more recently, referring to the likes of Calvin Harris, et al.

Ps. Trance for life! :D

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Well in the early 2000s it was a catch all term for electronic music, it only really became a subgenre of dance much more recently, referring to the likes of Calvin Harris, et al.

Ps. Trance for life! :D

I do not recall the term "EDM" ever being applied to dance music back then. Back then it was just 'dance' as a catch all, sometimes people would say electronic dance, but never the term "EDM".

Permabanned
I do not recall the term "EDM" ever being applied to dance music back then. Back then it was just 'dance' as a catch all, sometimes people would say electronic dance, but never the term "EDM".

As I said earlier it was coined by marketing execs when dance music started blowing up massively in the states which was around 2008ish or maybe a bit later.

They had tried similar with “Electronica” in the 90s to describe acts like Crystal Method etc but the music never properly took off in the mainstream and thus the term died out.

Soldato

I've always called it electronic dance music in general with the genres being Trance, Techno, Breaks, House etc it always bugged me they called that cheese EDM the same way people used to call everything with a 4/4 beat Techno

Soldato
The term kinda came from Sony. In the US when you say Dance music, its more like RnB music etc, more of a very general term of what would be played at a club. Here the term Dance Music is a Genre ( a very general one I suppose). Although is you said Dance music to me in the late 90's id be thinking what we refer to now as Trance music.
So really it was a term brought in to help people distinct what kinda music was played at concerts and artists etc.

Associate
These are just my opinions and I have no problem with others enjoying his music so don't get triggered by what im about to write...

Its lowest common denominator EDM pop music.

It's some of the most beige and mundane music ever created. Awful generic synth presets playing simplistic kiddy melodies and utilising every dance cliche in the book. The production is ultra clean and the end product just sounds 'plastic' and 'soulless' for lack of a better description. There is no depth or subtlety to anything.

Its the kind of music you'd expect to hear in an IKEA advert or in a shopping mall... just horrifically bland and middle of the road, the kind of electronic music you could imagine your 10 year old niece getting down to.

Don't get me wrong he was undoubetedly good/talented at making that kind of music but for myself and many others that kind of music is nothing more than all the worst/most generic elements of electronic music all wrapped up into one giant pile of disposable cheese ridden dross.

He was though by all accounts a very nice guy and dying at the age of 28 is horrendous.

As a massive lover of all genres of house music - particularly progressive house, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

EDM has given true dance music a bad name. Many very good, talented DJ’s like David Guetta have turned to producing commercial tripe for a quick cash grab. A perfect example of this is what’s happened to Ibiza in the last few years which is why we’ve stopped going. It’s all about money, celebville and champagne which is the total opposite of what made it such a special place where people of all ages, classes, creeds could mix, be free and enjoy true dance music.

Nonetheless, still a very tragic loss.

Man of Honour
I'll watch this later so I can learn something about him - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7357302/

I'm 1hr 15mins into this documentary and he was a very unhappy bloke with his illness and touring.
I'm at a part now where he is so stressed out and wants to cancel all his gigs but a bloke is saying stuff he doesn't want to hear.
This could be suicide.

Caporegime
I'm 1hr 15mins into this documentary and he was a very unhappy bloke with his illness and touring.
I'm at a part now where he is so stressed out and wants to cancel all his gigs but a bloke is saying stuff he doesn't want to hear.
This could be suicide.

As a 28 year old male suicide is statistically the most likley

Man of Honour
As a 28 year old male suicide is statistically the most likley

All the signs are there and this documentary was a year ago:
Bad illness where he was in a lot of pain
Heavy drinking before gigs because he was so nervous
Managers/gig promoters not listening to him when he wanted to cancel and giving him more stress.

Caporegime
This could be suicide.

You got a link for this? I'd like to watch it too.

Back
Top Bottom