AW3423DW or Samsung Neo G7 for Starfield?

Associate
Starfield will be main game upon release and have already started to look up new monitors. But I am terrible with this side of the technology so some advice would be great. I know they are both using different techs but would it still be a night and day difference between the two?

Soldato
Looking at how bad Starfield ran in the demo they released last night your going to need a higher end rig to brute force it and power the res of either of those screens.

By the time it's out too they will be other monitors on the market such as LG's 48" OLED.

Caporegime
I decided to go for the QD-OLED as I feel that 4K on a 6800XT would be around 60 fps while I think I should be able to push 120-144 on the QD-OLED.
From personal experience if switching from 1440p you'll generally get half the fps in 4k at the same settings, maybe a little more.

I'm currently running a high hz 1440p monitor (FI32Q-X) as 4k is still damn harsh on hardware for decent and fluid fps.

Soldato
I decided to go for the QD-OLED as I feel that 4K on a 6800XT would be around 60 fps while I think I should be able to push 120-144 on the QD-OLED.

I don't see a 6800xt getting 120fps at 3440x1440 given that the demo shown yesterday was running on an Xbox Series X, which is basically a 6700xt, and it was dipping under 30fps.

Now admittingly the demo did look like 4k type of sharpness, but still 4k 25-30fps doesn't translate to 120fps at 3440x1440.

Doing some back of the hand maths, 30fps with 8 million pixels (4k) translates to 50fps with 5 million pixels (your 3440x1440 QD-OLED). Now your 6800xt is better than a 6700xt by about 25% according to hardware unboxed and 50 X 1.25 = 62fps

So in conclusion your QD-OLED with a 6800xt will get about 60fps, with some drops under 60fps. Luckily though the game isn't launching soon and performance may improve by launch

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait and see what the MSI OLED offering is like, it's freesync so won't have an annoying fan.

Probably still has one fan, the Gsync module in the Alienware only has one fan the 2nd fan is for cooling the actual panel so it can reach high brightness. If the MSI has no fans at all it may have a more aggressive ABL and lower peak brightness

Soldato
I don't see a 6800xt getting 120fps at 3440x1440 given that the demo shown yesterday was running on an Xbox Series X, which is basically a 6700xt, and it was dipping under 30fps.

Now admittingly the demo did look like 4k type of sharpness, but still 4k 25-30fps doesn't translate to 120fps at 3440x1440.

Doing some back of the hand maths, 30fps with 8 million pixels (4k) translates to 50fps with 5 million pixels (your 3440x1440 QD-OLED). Now your 6800xt is better than a 6700xt by about 25% according to hardware unboxed and 50 X 1.25 = 62fps

So in conclusion your QD-OLED with a 6800xt will get about 60fps, with some drops under 60fps. Luckily though the game isn't launching soon and performance may improve by launch
That confirmed? It ran hideously.

Soldato
The AW3423DW is a fantastic monitor, and probably the best gaming monitor you can get at the moment, it comes with a 3 year next business day* Dell warranty (arguably one of the best in the sector) - the only problem is the long lead times.

The G7 is an inferior panel type (VA) and is made by Samsung, which means it will be riddled with issues, probably break after a few months and they will almost certainly try everything they can to weasel out of their warranty obligations, leaving you with no monitor for months.

Soldato
I would go with the AW3423DW. Samsung still using VA panels which are generally bad for gaming.
Samsung's own VA panels that they use in the G7 and G9 series monitors are nothing like any other VA panel on the market.. I don't know what kind of voodoo they have used but black smear is not a thing on those panels. They are the absolute fastest and even put some IPS to shame in dark transitions. G5 however fits pretty well with your general vipe of VA as they are dreadful.

Soldato
Samsung's own VA panels that they use in the G7 and G9 series monitors are nothing like any other VA panel on the market.. I don't know what kind of voodoo they have used but black smear is not a thing on those panels. They are the absolute fastest and even put some IPS to shame in dark transitions. G5 however fits pretty well with your general vipe of VA as they are dreadful.

Based on HUB monitor reviews yea Samsung VA is pretty good for VA but top IPS still seems to a bit better. However IPS may get some improving a bit, LG is introducing its "IPS Black" panels later this year, these claim to have 2x native increase in black contrast ratios. Main issue I've seen with any VA or IPS panel that uses local dimming is latency - they pickup few millisecond of latency due to how local dimming works.

Soldato
Based on HUB monitor reviews yea Samsung VA is pretty good for VA but top IPS still seems to a bit better. However IPS may get some improving a bit, LG is introducing its "IPS Black" panels later this year, these claim to have 2x native increase in black contrast ratios. Main issue I've seen with any VA or IPS panel that uses local dimming is latency - they pickup few millisecond of latency due to how local dimming works.
Which is why I said it "some IPS" Certainly not all. Local dimming is never something I've had enabled outside of testing it. Don't like the features due to the limited zones. Currently running a 27" MSI MAG274QRF 165hz IPS. Its alright but certainly has some issues with black/dark green transitions which smear just a bit. Easy to spot in games like 7DTD when panning the view in a forest. Annoying and weird cause according to HUBs review of the monitor it shouldn't happen.

EDIT: I've had 2 G7s, the 27" and the 32" and its not their performance that causes me to move on from them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom