Poll: Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018, Baku - Race 4/21

Rate the 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
QozGMj7.png
Baku
The 2016 season saw Azerbaijan become the latest addition to the Formula 1 calendar, with capital city Baku playing host to the fastest street circuit in F1 racing, on a layout designed by renowned track architect Hermann Tilke.
“Our brief to Tilke Engineering was simple - create a circuit that is unique, one that will help the Grand Prix in Baku quickly establish itself as one of the most exciting, thrilling venues on the F1 calendar, and one that the fans and teams alike are excited about,” said Azad Rahimov, Azerbaijan's Minister of Youth and Sport.
“Most importantly, we wanted a track that would showcase the best of Baku, our capital city, and I am delighted that the circuit has achieved exactly that aim.”
Tilke's design married technical sectors with extreme straights to create a stunning circuit that also thrives on Baku's very attractive urban atmosphere and its great combination of history and 21st century style. The historic city centre, the beautiful seaside promenade and the impressive government house all combine to provide the perfect backdrop for the spectacular track.
“Obviously street circuits present a number of challenges, in terms of circuit design, but we have been able to incorporate some unique features that will provide the teams and fans with fascinating racing,” he comments.
“For example, the extremely narrow uphill section at the old town wall rewards pinpoint accuracy and courage, while the 2.2 kilometres along the promenade sees the cars running flat out at very high top speeds - an incredible spectacle for the race fans on track and the viewers at home.”

TV Times

Sky:
LmP34hv.png
C4:
DOn0OpV.png

Track Diagram & Information

Xr963Ra.png

Weather Forecast

IkjeXqI.png

2017 Onboard Lap

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/3/2017_Azerbaijan_pole_lap.html

2017 Race Edit

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/6/Director's_Cut__Azerbaijan_2017.html

Azerbaijan Preview Quotes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...w-quotes---the-teams-and-drivers-on-baku.html

WDC Standings

NYGvNoQ.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

xVbmNzO.png

Practice 1

hw4766d.png

Practice 2

jRUp9vv.png

Practice 3

cJeiFHf.png

Qualifying

btb3SCP.png

Race

5PR8MQM.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

ANYWAY... it has to be better than Baku 2016 and the whole “sorry we can’t tell you how to adjust the car” crap.

Associate
Temperatures are much lower than in the previous 2 years (being almost 6 weeks earlier in the calendar this year). I wonder how much of an impact that will have.

Soldato
Thanks as always @Shimmy.

I can't believe how quickly the discussion descended into the usual Vettel/Hamilton bickering, it must be a new record, even for this place. :(

Considering how Mercedes seem to struggle with tyre temperatures, and street circuits are a bit hit-and-miss for them, I can only assume Hamilton's run of bad form/luck will continue this weekend.

Soldato
Bad for Merc? Good for RB?
Hard to tell. Historically it would be bad for Ferrari and good for Merc as they are able to get more heat into the tyres, but ultimately suffer worse degredation/temperature control at warmer races. The Merc now appears to be much kinder to its rears, maybe at their own detriment. Also, no one seems to have a good idea of the perfect tyre windows, the new compounds have thrown some very inconsistent operating ranges into the mix and I think the top 3 are all struggling to get any consistent performance.
I can't believe how quickly the discussion descended into the usual Vettel/Hamilton bickering, it must be a new record, even for this place. :(
*** Leave the personal finger pointing at the door please... it's been dealt with ***
- Armageus

Back
Top Bottom