B&W 683 S2 - Floor standing speakers

Soldato
Thank you for that explanation that makes perfect sense.

So I guess to power bigger speakers one needs another amp...what would you recommend?

ROTEL sound great when paired with B&W speakers. I got myself a used RA-1080 and it drives my CM9's very well. Very clean, and precise sound with plenty of bass if needed via the contour switch.

Permabanned
I'd be much more interested in spending the extra to upgrade the centre speaker.

My ~£500 Denon drove my Kef Q900s well and I didn't notice a huge change going up to a £1500 Marantz... only when the speakers were upgraded too was it worth spending more.

There's also space consideration... and anything more than integrated can be a pain... that's why I went Arcam for the living room as it's mainly home theatre use.

Man of Honour
Sounds like overkill for the speakers OP is looking at... a £500 AVR to power £1000 speakers is perfectly good enough...

All we are doing is throwing a spotlight on why the system performance might be more limited than the spec sheets suggest. Is that really such a bad thing?

Yes, it's perfectly possible to drive the B&Ws from the £500 Sony or any similarly-priced AV receiver. In fact, a £30-£40 Class-T amp from Ebay would still work. The point really is how soon you might find the limits of each type of amp. If you spent £40 on an amp to drive £1000 speakers, and found that it didn't sound that good at anything more than very modest volumes, would you be inclined to blame the speakers or the amp? My gut feeling is that most people would look at the amp as the weak link. That's kind of sensible. But what if the amp is supposed to have over 1000 Watts of power and has glowing testimonials from magazines and review sites. What then?

Having a little extra depth of knowledge about what's really going on under the skin of a typical AV receiver makes for a better informed user and buyer.

Soldato
Also consideration what if a weedy amp clips and fries tweeters. Expensive. So is rather spend money on amps where it'll never clip. And speakers are safe.

For all my speakers replacement drivers are not available.

Since I have 300w on tap hehe clipping will never occur.

Soldato
OP
Honestly I am not after volume, I’m after quality sound. I doubt I’ll ever get anywhere near the max the amp can deliver to the speakers.

I do appreciate that the more expensive the amp is the more likely I am to get quality sound. But the Sony 1040 was well reviewed at the time and I’m sure they weren’t testing it on £10 speakers :)

Soldato
My speakers don't need massive amounts of power as they're 91db sensibility. But what they do need are plenty of drive, they are 4 ohm. Big PSU. Paul weighs 6kg and there are two of them in each chassis. So whatever the load it'll power them. With a avr you'll have a small Pau to supply 7+ channels plus all decoding scaling eq etc.

Most avrs will fail driving 4ohm speakers. Mine dip to about 2 ohm

Find out what impedance is of your speakers across.the frequency range

Soldato
A better or more powerful amplifier isn't just about going louder, it's about effortless sound with dynamics and detail.

I was running 5 x 400w mono blocks but to save space I now run a 7 channel amp that can manage 150w at 8ohms all channels driven, even though my AVR is relatively high range it's still worth running a separate power amp.

Back
Top Bottom