B&W PX, Bose QC35, Sony MDR, or Bose QC30

Soldato
I've had the Bose QC20 for a couple of years and they've been excellent, but the wire seems to have an issue (if you shift it at all the music cuts out). I'm therefore after a wireless replacement.

I really like their small size, but understand that the QC30 only has a battery life of 10 hours or so, which is not long enough for a long flight, so I'm probably ruling them out.

My use case is daily on the tube and at work (maybe 3-4 hours a day), and also for long-haul travel (I'll go on a holiday or two each year requiring a 10+ hour flight, plus transport either end).

The other three are a very similar price. I expect them all to sound good (although they'll have different sound signatures, I appreciate), so really my consideration comes down to:

1. Noise cancelling - the more it drowns out the tube the better!
2. Comfort and fit - I understand the B&W are the least comfortable? This is really important to me, does anyone have experience of this?
3. Controls - I really like the idea of the B&W controls, allowing the music to pause when you lift an earpiece etc, but does it work in practice?
4. Battery life - the longer the better, but as long as it's over 18-20 hours I'm happy with anything
5. Durability - having spent £260 on my last pair of Bose headphones I'm disappointed that they only lasted two years (and are just outside their warranty, although I may go into the store for an argument)
6. Other nice to haves - I like that the B&W charges with USB-C. Size is important as well (ideally the smaller the better), but not a dealbreaker

In short, I really like what B&W have attempted to do, but worry that the lift on/lift off controls won't work brilliantly, and that the comfort will be poor. I like the look of them the most of the three, but that's not as important as comfort and quality of noise cancelling.

Does anyone have experience of these headphones? I can find lots online about the Bose and Sonys, but much less on the B&W.

Soldato
Personally I'd go with the Bose, but only because I have used Bose noise cancelling headphones in the past and they've been excellent as well as the QC35's getting good write ups. However the MDR1000 tends to get better overall reviews. Either of those 2 will be more than sufficient in my opinion.

Man of Honour
I own the Bose QC35 and the Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones and I much prefer the noise cancelling and audio on the Sony's. The Bose may be ever so slightly more comfortable, but then I change my opinion on that all the time. I really like the touch controls on the Sony too.

Battery life is another big win on the Sony too

Soldato
I've been agonising over the QC35 IIs and the WH-1000XM2s for ages.

Ask 100 people and you'll get 50 saying the Bose are better and 50 saying the Sony.

I've listened to both of them in the shop and neither stood out as a clear winner, they're both excellent. I think I'd have to live with each one for a few weeks (including a long haul flight) to decide which is the right one for me.

I've currently got a pair of QC15s so I'm swinging towards the 35s just because I know what to expect in terms of sound and comfort (which I like in Bose flavour).

No idea about the B&W I'm afraid, but I'd definitely try and demo them in a shop.

Soldato
So no votes for the PX's then? Can't find anywhere to demo them so may just have to buy them from B&W and use the 60 day trial they offer.

Man of Honour
I'm really torn between the Sony 1000X and Bose QC35. I keep trying them in a local shop and can't decide which is better.

For some music I prefer the Sony and for other music I prefer the Bose. I do think the Sony produces very slightly better sound overall. They are also very comfy. But then I put on the Bose and I can see how they would be more comfy for longer wear (lighter and slightly larger ear cups). The Sony are a little larger overall and I believe have an issue where noise cancellation turns off if not connected to Bluetooth or an aux input. So that may be a factor when using no music but NC on a plane to help you sleep (can be fixed with a fake jack though).

So for travel the Bose is better. For ultimate NC the Bose is better. For comfort the Bose is better. But in all of those areas the Sony are very, very close (more flexible NC options too). Sound quality is arguably better on the Sony and Sony has far more features.

For me I think it may simply come down to price. The rev 1 of the Sony's are much cheaper on Amazon than the Bose (£220 vs £279).

Last edited:
Associate
I'm also trying to choose between the above.

I'll mainly use them when walking the dog. I live in a rural area and walk a lot by the cliffs and on the beach so the wind will be the main thing to contend with.

Any ideas which will best cancel wind noise?

Man of Honour
I'm also trying to choose between the above.

I'll mainly use them when walking the dog. I live in a rural area and walk a lot by the cliffs and on the beach so the wind will be the main thing to contend with.

Any ideas which will best cancel wind noise?

I can't say for certain in regards to noise. But from my reading of numerous reviews:

Bose have the best noise cancellation if you just want to block *everything* out.
Sony rev 1 1000X is *almost* as good but it's far more adaptable (more adjustable settings wheras with Bose it's just on or off).
The later Sony rev 2 (1000XM2) matches the Bose on total noise cancellation and is also more adaptable.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your replies everyone! I think I'm probably going to go for the rev 2 Sony set, although still haven't quite made my mind up. I'd like to see them and the B&W in the flesh (I've tried the Bose ones already)

Associate
I can't say for certain in regards to noise. But from my reading of numerous reviews:

Bose have the best noise cancellation if you just want to block *everything* out.
Sony rev 1 1000X is *almost* as good but it's far more adaptable (more adjustable settings wheras with Bose it's just on or off).
The later Sony rev 2 (1000XM2) matches the Bose on total noise cancellation and is also more adaptable.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Sony rev 2.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Sony rev 2.
I think I'm leaning towards the rev 1 Sony 1000X due to budget. The only issue with them was that a number had headband cracking issues. Sony say it only affected certain batches although that isn't confirmed. The difference between the Sony rev 1 and two, as far as I can see are:

1) Marginally better NC because they have an "adapt to my environment right now" button which wasn't on the rev 1.
2) Slightly different colours (gunmetal grey rather than black).
3) Slightly improved battery life (but the rev 1 is still about 20 hours so not an issue really).
4) Fast charging.

The differences between the Sony's and Bose are discussed above and generally the NC is better on Bose (but Sony's almost as good and rev 2 possibly as good), better comfort on the Bose but better sound quality on the Sony (but this is subjective of course), Bose pairing with multiple devices is better but the Sony features are better overall.

Then we have to consider the price new:

Sony rev 1 - £220 on Amazon.
Sony rev 2 - £330 most places.
Bose rev 2 - £275 some places online (but £330 most well known places).

The best value out there right now is the Sony rev 1. They really stand out for me as superb value today. Are the Sony rev 2 or the Bose rev 2 worth £55 to £110 more? Clearly they are if money isn't an issue. NC is good on all of them so I'd say it can be ignored and other factors considered instead. So from what I can see...

-- On a tight budget? Pick the Sony rev 1.
-- Budget not an issue but want the best sound quality and features (you'll never get ultimate sound quality on bluetooth anyway)? Pick the Sony rev 2.
-- Budget not an issue but want the best for portability and comfortable long term wear? Pick the Bose rev 2.

Edit: Corrected the Sony rev 1 battery life.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I had a look at all 3 in John Lewis today. For me, the Bose sounded notably worse. The B&W have a really lively sound and wide soundstage. Weirdly, I found the Sony least comfy, and the Bose most comfy. The Sony had the best NC.

There are a few more considerations:
1. How long is the warranty on the rev 1 Sony?
2. A midpoint is the rev 1 Bose at around £280, and it only lacks Google Assistant.

Soldato
Just to sling a bit of a curve ball as well, have a look at the Sony H.ear on 2 (h900n) pretty much identical (apart from the atmosphere pressure sensor) to the 1000mx2 and slightly different look but meant to sound and function at least on par. I tried a pair and really rather liked them, and they are £230 new.

Associate
Pro Tip - I got my Sony 1000XM2's from a Sony Store. Originally went in to get the first edition, but they were selling 'refurbished' / 'online returns' 1000XM2's for £180. Bought on the spot and they are brilliant. Check for any refurbished models at store level, it may be a country wide thing.

Man of Honour
Pro Tip - I got my Sony 1000XM2's from a Sony Store. Originally went in to get the first edition, but they were selling 'refurbished' / 'online returns' 1000XM2's for £180. Bought on the spot and they are brilliant. Check for any refurbished models at store level, it may be a country wide thing.
Great tip. Thanks.

Man of Honour
For those that bought the Sony, did you compare the black to the silver/gold/beige colour? I'm worried the silver/gold is a little too beige, alhtough in some lights they do seem quite classy?

Back
Top Bottom