B350 Motherboard for Overclocking Ryzen 5 1600

Associate
I had my eye on the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3, but I've been reading stories of Ryzen 5 incompatibility until the BIOS is flashed... which is something I can't do without a Ryzen 7 to hand.

I'm looking for a mobo with support out of the box and decent overclocking ability for the R5 1600, around £80. Form factor can be ATX, MicroATX or MiniITX. Oh, and at least 4 x SATA.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
I had my eye on the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3, but I've been reading stories of Ryzen 5 incompatibility until the BIOS is flashed... which is something I can't do without a Ryzen 7 to hand.

I'm looking for a mobo with support out of the box and decent overclocking ability for the R5 1600, around £80. Form factor can be ATX, MicroATX or MiniITX. Oh, and at least 4 x SATA.

Any recommendations?

current stock should be on at least Bios F4 at least since that was released in April - dont think OCUK would hold stock of any current board that long
I know @GIGA-Man can flash mother boards for customers

Associate
OP
current stock should be on at least Bios F4 at least since that was released in April - dont think OCUK would hold stock of any current board that long
I know @GIGA-Man can flash mother boards for customers

That's good to know. The Gigabyte seems like a good board, would you recommend anything instead?

Soldato
That's good to know. The Gigabyte seems like a good board, would you recommend anything instead?

Only use Gigabyte (only vendor to have RMA for boards in UK and not EU) and Asus (Bios are a well oiled machine- and the mid range strix is the nicest boards IMO- better then the ROG line up pmsl) boards personally. Not a fan of MSI personally

Associate
OP
Only use Gigabyte (only vendor to have RMA for boards in UK and not EU) and Asus (Bios are a well oiled machine- and the mid range strix is the nicest boards IMO- better then the ROG line up pmsl) boards personally. Not a fan of MSI personally

Cool. I'll take a look at the Asus boards, too. I heard they can be flashed without a CPU, should it be needed (or was that only select models?).

Soldato
Cool. I'll take a look at the Asus boards, too. I heard they can be flashed without a CPU, should it be needed (or was that only select models?).

Like Aorus/Gigabyte boards, select models only and tend to be flagship with ASUS. dont think the sTrix boards support it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66b7vu/to_all_ryzen_5_owners_did_you_have_to_flash_bios/

Think if OCUK had the boards in recently - it should have latest of last BIOS which would allow Ryzen 5 Drop in

looks like Asus boards are same, with around April BIOS to be installed for Ryzen 5 drop in- dont think its a vendors fault and more of AMD not having support from the get go as both companies and others released a lot of baords way before ryzen 5

Soldato
GIGA-MAN has been a big help on here for members recently , and i believe some forum goers live close enough to have dropped their cards and boards off at the center lol.

honestly drop CS a message in their section and see when they got stock in of that board. closer to the current month it is the better chance of F4 or higher bios. and CS here is normally v.good

Back
Top Bottom