B450 board - Why the fan ramp up with XMP enabled?

Associate
New build, 2700X on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.

Went for 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro memory.

Enabling A-XMP profiles 1 or 2 in the BIOS, results in the CPU fans ramping right up to maximum. The CPU core voltage doesn't change as far as I can see.

In an information box, a message is displayed which says:-

'CPU fan speed will be optimized once memory is overclocked over 2750mhz'

For now I've manually selected the next available memory speed below 2750.

Obviously I bought 3200Mhz memory as it seemed like good middle ground between the higher frequency (and thus more expensive) sets, and standard speeds of days gone by.

Is there a way round this, or stuck with it?

Associate
Bump.

I'm having the exact same issue with 2700x on MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

Is there any way to set RAM to 3000MHz without affecting the CPU fan. The AMD Wraith Prism cooler at the higher speed is pretty damn loud.

Associate
In my case I did update the BIOS to the latest version, also all drivers. It looks like a setting/feature on the board as it does state 'CPU fan speed will be optimized once memory is overclocked over 2750mhz'.

"optimized"

Soldato
In my case I did update the BIOS to the latest version, also all drivers. It looks like a setting/feature on the board as it does state 'CPU fan speed will be optimized once memory is overclocked over 2750mhz'.

"optimized"

I've booted mine for first time, not updated bios, set XMP to 3200 and didn't get a warning or noticeable change in fan speed

Soldato
After XMP is set, can you not go and manually change the fan profiles? Used to be in a section called Hardware Monitor in the BIOS, don't know if name has changed.

Soldato
After XMP is set, can you not go and manually change the fan profiles? Used to be in a section called Hardware Monitor in the BIOS, don't know if name has changed.

Yes I was going to suggest this, its what I do, I have set my fans to run at 46% all the way upto a CPU temp of 60oC, this gives me 800rpm on all of my fans (all connected to the CPU fan header via an sata powered fan splitter).

The reason its ramping up is once XMP is set, the memory controller in the CPU is having to work much harder, its just a safety precaution, but not really needed, as already stated, set you fan profile manually.

Associate
Brilliant, yep it worked. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I guess I wasn't planning on changing any other settings and just have this run on stock settings, but as the RAM speed was lower by default I wanted to change that.

As @Danny75 suggested I went into Hardware Monitor and saw the fan curve had changed with XMP enabled. I just set to the default which I can only assume is safe (so it sets to how it was for default RAM speed settings).

Thanks,

Soldato
Yes I was going to suggest this, its what I do, I have set my fans to run at 46% all the way upto a CPU temp of 60oC, this gives me 800rpm on all of my fans (all connected to the CPU fan header via an sata powered fan splitter).

The reason its ramping up is once XMP is set, the memory controller in the CPU is having to work much harder, its just a safety precaution, but not really needed, as already stated, set you fan profile manually.

Thanks for confirming Jamin, and also for the info you provided on how to sort out the leds, in the other thread. Handy to know as these MSI boards seem to be a good AM4 choice and get recommended frequently.

Glad it's sorted, Shamanji.

Associate
OP
Glad others have experienced this, and that its been solved. Unfortunately will be a couple of weeks before I can sort it on the machine I posted about, as its a build I did for my son - but I'll try the solution described when I next go to see him.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom