B450 ITX System

Soldato
Putting together a new build for streaming. The components I currently have on my table are:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor
Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB 16GB 3200MHz Memory Kit
3 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High Speed Fans
Hyper 212 Black Edition Cooler
Nvidia GeForce 2060 RTX Founders Edition
Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 2280 SSD
NZXT H200 Case
Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro 550W

I have all the components ready apart from the motherboard which I deliberately left till last to order, any suggestions on a quality ITX board?

Soldato
I keep coming back to this board, but there is a mixed bag of reviews on it, although the price is right.

Many quoting the VRM ain't very good, underload it apparently has bad coilwine.

has one of the best VRMs due to using new IR 3556 units , not as much amps as older 3555 but have been designed to handle more heat and offload it quicker .
two causes of coil whine, PSU and caps - every unit will have it, though might not be audible. best way to cure it (lesson it) is by running it hard for extended periods of time. Why you should always run GPUs with Unigine at 1080p for 2/3 hours to bed the caps in .

helps someone do Intel version in that case, looked good.

Recommend this cool

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

plus you;; have UK RMA on the giga board... incase EU shipping goes a bad way- see ASRock thread about being asked to supply £20 for TAX in the box !

Soldato
OP
has one of the best VRMs due to using new IR 3556 units , not as much amps as older 3555 but have been designed to handle more heat and offload it quicker .
two causes of coil whine, PSU and caps - every unit will have it, though might not be audible. best way to cure it (lesson it) is by running it hard for extended periods of time. Why you should always run GPUs with Unigine at 1080p for 2/3 hours to bed the caps in .

helps someone do Intel version in that case, looked good.

Recommend this cool

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

plus you;; have UK RMA on the giga board... incase EU shipping goes a bad way- see ASRock thread about being asked to supply £20 for TAX in the box !

As usual, sound advise.

That's unacceptable from ASRock and will now avoid these.

I take it the ITX is different to it's bigger brothers?

I remember Hardware Unboxed giving Gigabyte and ASUS a hard time over it's VRM.

Soldato
As usual, sound advise.

That's unacceptable from ASRock and will now avoid these.

I take it the ITX is different to it's bigger brothers?

I remember Hardware Unboxed giving Gigabyte and ASUS a hard time over it's VRM.

z370 boards from Gigabyte were shocking... hence z390 came along and threw the kitchen sink at it. went from 4 phases to 10 on their ENTRY board...

b450 was designed from their z390 itx, Just misses two phases which is a shame

with the z390, gigabyte got buildzoid on board to test the boards asap, and his views were a U Turn from the z370 .

x570 is slightly better then z390 range

think the Aours X570 ITX is 7 phases or 6 like its z390 counterpart - slightly better heatsink

Soldato
OP
z370 boards from Gigabyte were shocking... hence z390 came along and threw the kitchen sink at it. went from 4 phases to 10 on their ENTRY board...

b450 was designed from their z390 itx, Just misses two phases which is a shame

with the z390, gigabyte got buildzoid on board to test the boards asap, and his views were a U Turn from the z370 .

x570 is slightly better then z390 range

think the Aours X570 ITX is 7 phases or 6 like its z390 counterpart - slightly better heatsink

Would you say that the Gigabyte ITX is the best out of the bunch, B450 wise?

Had my eye on the Asus Strix, super expensive though and considering if it's worth the cost over that giga board?

I've just watched a video on YouTube featuring Buildzoid, Gamers Nexus. He only mentions this board for APU performance, no mentions of 8 core, etc.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Always liked gigabyte boards, I have the AB350 Gaming 3 still currently in my main setup and has been solid from day 1.

The ITX has all the features and specs I want, especially the audio etc.

Glad I can call upon you folks for advise as it's giving me more to think about.

Soldato
Always liked gigabyte boards, I have the AB350 Gaming 3 still currently in my main setup and has been solid from day 1.

The ITX has all the features and specs I want, especially the audio etc.
Sounds like you've made your decision - solid board, great make and the security of UK RMA and forum rep support plus it looks preeeeedy.

@ExRayTed called it from the start - you just needed coaxing.

Glad I can call upon you folks for advise as it's giving me more to think about.
Bouncing opinions always helps with the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds like you've made your decision - solid board, great make and the security of UK RMA and forum rep support plus it looks preeeeedy.

@ExRayTed called it from the start - you just needed coaxing.

Bouncing opinions always helps with the process.

Coaxing probably, also just needed some reassurance before ordering. It's fairly cheaper and that also helps the decision.

Soldato
OP
Perhaps I should start asking for build pics too, best ones get shared on the GIGABYTE AORUS social media pages.... !?!?! hmmm, I'll see if I can get this arranged.

That's a great idea!

Be a week or so before I share my build, might make some changes, add some extra RGB goodness maybe?

Looking forward to learning the art of streaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
@orbitalwalsh, will demand build pics for services rendered - it's his standard invoice. :D

I can arrange that, have done with previous builds!

haha. mainly it helps First time builders that look through similar threads looking for information to take their dive into it... specially all white systems! pain... and ocuk are anti PCP on here . partly i can see and partly madness as you cant link a thread page that contains useful information

Perhaps I should start asking for build pics too, best ones get shared on the GIGABYTE AORUS social media pages.... !?!?! hmmm, I'll see if I can get this arranged.

would build threads/spec threads on here have turned out to be pretty epic. 4x 1080ti in a x399 thread was a bit of a beast ... though will never play Crysis or any games which is a cry shame

Associate
Okay, I have had a chat with a few people at GIGABYTE.

If a forum thread is started and people post there GIGABYTE builds on here, we will share the best ones on our Facebook. We will also chose the best one and the winner will get a free prize. I will try and arrange something good, to rule out people just posting images of other systems, you will also need to mail [email protected] with a picture of the system and a copy of your invoice.

If it goes well, I will try and make it a regular feature on our social media and have some hardware as prizes... what do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom