B550 stuck on led boot, no screen

Associate
Hi I've just got a Asus b550-m plus and ryzen 5600.

I formated and loaded new bios on usb stick, put it in and held the button till blinking starts, removed after, then turn power on but theres no display and mb led is on boot.

Any ideas, I disconnected other usb devices apart from mouse and keyboard.
Tried to reset cmos. Removed battery

No luck and im out of ideas.
Please help.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yeah,
Also I've tried different bios versions and on a different usb drive, still wont boot.
I get no screen, so cant get into bios.
Ive for a new m2 drive, its behind the gpu, surely that cant be stopping it loading?
I get no signal.

Last edited:
Soldato
You made sure to format the usb stick to FAT32 and left on detault sectors. Also unzipped the bios file and placed in the root of the usb stick ?

What is the spec of the rest of the pc. Also did you make sure to insert ram in the right slots and tried one stick of ram in the slot that will work with one stick, read the manual to check which slots should be used with one 1 or 2 sticks.

Man of Honour
Yeah,
Also I've tried different bios versions and on a different usb drive, still wont boot.
I get no screen, so cant get into bios.
Ive for a new m2 drive, its behind the gpu, surely that cant be stopping it loading?
I get no signal.
Everything is worth a try could take the m2 out

Check cpu for bent pins.

Do you have to rename the bios before putting on the flash drive ?

Associate
OP
Yeah stick quick format fat 32.
Bios unzipped, name changed and pasted onto stick.
I've tried 1 stick in the correct slot, also old my old ram.
Also old psu, I've taken the m2 sick out.

Still the same, no display, mb led boot light on.

I'll take the cpu out.

I had a i7 6700k with gtx 1070.
I Brought an asus tuf 550m-plus ryzen 5600 16gb ram.

Starting to wish I didnt upgrade now

Man of Honour
Yeah stick quick format fat 32.
Bios unzipped, name changed and pasted onto stick.
I've tried 1 stick in the correct slot, also old my old ram.
Also old psu, I've taken the m2 sick out.

Still the same, no display, mb led boot light on.

I'll take the cpu out.

I had a i7 6700k with gtx 1070.
I Brought an asus tuf 550m-plus ryzen 5600 16gb ram.

Starting to wish I didnt upgrade now
Understandable.

Try resetting the cmos again take the battery out but there should be a clear cmos jumper on the motherboard use that as well. Disconnect the power supply and leave for 5 mins.

Associate
OP
When I pulled the water block off, the cpu came out stuck with it on!
I checked the pins, all look ok,
I reflasehed again with cpu out,
Put back in and its still the same.
I've removed batt, cleared cmos and am waiting 5 mins.

Associate
OP
Still the same, no signal on monitor and boot led on mb. I can only think that theres a fault with the mb or cpu, or the mb is not flashing properly to accept the cpu.

Soldato
I don't suppose you can get you hands on another monitor to try? My monitor occasionally doesn't pick up the signal after making changes in the bios or updating GPU drivers, sometimes I have to restart a couple of times are do a hard shutdown and power back up again. I have a spare older monitor that I can use via HDMI or even VGA cable rather than DP that I can use that works when all else fails. It could work for you and let you into the bios to have a look at what's going on. Worth a try...

Associate
Just to add to this thread, I'm having the exact same issue.
Brand new build, all components except CPU / mobo tested on my old PC and worked fine.

Tried everything mentioned above inc updating to F32 Bios using QFLASH_PLUS....Noting.
PC starts up and will run until I turn it off again.

Associate
I upgraded my motherboard from a B350 to a B550 a few months ago and had similar display issues using my 1080ti. I swapped the board and fired up my PC to do a Windows reinstall to be met with no display on my LG monitor using Display Port. The B550 also showed a BIOS Q code on the display. I tried different display outputs on my card, different cables etc but nothing was giving me a display.

I did some reading and came across a thread which mentioned about updating my GPU firmware. In the end I took my PC downstairs and connected it to my TV using HDMI and I instantly got a display and could see the machine boot etc. I was able to perform the Windows reinstall and then update my GPU’s firmware. Once I’d done this I took my PC upstairs again and connected my LG monitor and I’ve had no display issues since.

So if you can, update your GPU firmware and see if this fixes your issue :)

Associate
I upgraded my motherboard from a B350 to a B550 a few months ago and had similar display issues using my 1080ti. I swapped the board and fired up my PC to do a Windows reinstall to be met with no display on my LG monitor using Display Port. The B550 also showed a BIOS Q code on the display. I tried different display outputs on my card, different cables etc but nothing was giving me a display.

I did some reading and came across a thread which mentioned about updating my GPU firmware. In the end I took my PC downstairs and connected it to my TV using HDMI and I instantly got a display and could see the machine boot etc. I was able to perform the Windows reinstall and then update my GPU’s firmware. Once I’d done this I took my PC upstairs again and connected my LG monitor and I’ve had no display issues since.

So if you can, update your GPU firmware and see if this fixes your issue :)
Not sure if that's the issue but I will try.
I tried my old 1080ti in the new build and still no signal.
Could that be for the same reason though?

Soldato
Not sure if that's the issue but I will try.
I tried my old 1080ti in the new build and still no signal.
Could that be for the same reason though?

I posted about this issue here regarding flashing nvidia gpus that need a firmware update for Display port to work correctly, maybe worth reading and making sure the firmware is upto date on the card used.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34115709/

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...e-update-for-displayport-1.3-and-1.4-displays

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Associate
I posted about this issue here regarding flashing nvidia gpus that need a firmware update for Display port to work correctly, maybe worth reading and making sure the firmware is upto date on the card used.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34115709/

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...e-update-for-displayport-1.3-and-1.4-displays

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Would this apply to HDMI too though? I tried a different monitor with HDMI and it still wouldn't post.

Associate
OP
I was having this problem with hdmi tv and display port monitor.

I connected old monitor with dvi and the bios loaded, I had to change a setting I think it was csm to enable to boot to windows.

Thanks for all your help

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
I was having this problem with hdmi tv and display port monitor.

I connected old monitor with dvi and the bios loaded, I had to change a setting I think it was csm to enable to boot to windows.

Thanks for all your help
Glad you got it sorted. It's such an exasperating problem when you can't get the monitor to display. It definitely pays off to have an old spare monitor with different connection options to fall back on.

Back
Top Bottom