Back to Biking after 17 yrs

Soldato
OP
From my limited recent experience (which is NONE) it just pulled no matter the gear.

I did find it easier to ride that the smaller ones, which I didn't expect.

Got a test ride tomorrow on the GSX-S1000 tomorrow, which I'm dreading in a good way

Last edited:
Soldato
depends on what you want to ride and how new of course as to how much insurance costs, but it doesn't have to be high.
My Kawasaki ZR7 01 reg was just £87 fc after an 11 year break.
you don't need to go newish , I wanted something old school
13775887_10153693424946700_8264495817291961451_n_zpsia5hboac.jpg

Soldato
Both the GSX-S and CB1000R have very smooth, linear toque curves, nothing majorly scary until you get into the higher revs, however from my test ride of the GSX-S1000 I found it pulled VERY well in any gear from practically an revs - I tried an overtake from 40mph in 6th gear, no issues at all, just pulled like a train :D

Soldato
OP
Didn't get chance to rise the GSX due to poor weather. :(

Seeing as I'm basically a new rider - should my next bike have TC?

The CB I rode yesterday didn't and I got on fairly well with it but at the same time I didn't really let rip on it.

The guys at Honda reckon I don't need it - but they would say that.

Soldato
Depends if you're going to be riding all year round, when it's barely above 0 degrees and the roads are covered in a slimy, salty, greasy layer of crap then TCS will come in handy on anything with over 75bhp or with a decent amount of torque.

I've never needed TCS on my CB400 but that has 50bhp and very little torque, I test rode an Africa twin a few weeks back and with a bit of acceleration up a slip road the back slid a little, the TCS caught it and it wasn't a big deal.

If you'll only be riding in decent weather, then it's not a must have. When it's dry and warm breaking traction with normal road riding is hard.

Soldato
On a litre bike, in all weather, in winter - then yeah I'd want TCS if I had the choice. With loads of mid-range torque it'll be easy to spin up the rear when you want a bit of acceleration.

Soldato
TCS generally won't save you from a situation you could not save yourself from with appropriate use of the throttle, so bare that in mind when you decide to go for a ride in 6 inches of snow.

Soldato
If money isn't a significant barrier (and the options aren't normally too expensive) I really don't see why you wouldn't have TCS and ABS on a modern, powerful bike. They're not a solution to bad riding or terrible conditions but they make the bike safer.

Man of Honour
TCS generally won't save you from a situation you could not save yourself from with appropriate use of the throttle, so bare that in mind when you decide to go for a ride in 6 inches of snow.

That's the same with abs, but they will both perform better than 95% of riders.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the opinions.

Starting to think I'd be a fool not to take advantage of any and all rider aides.

After all I'm basically starting over.

My head seems to be taking over in the bike style stakes.

Been looking at the Adventure tourers, particularly the Versy Grand Tour.

Offers a nice upright riding position with great all round view.

As it would be nice to take the missus out now and again, as I did b4

the sprogs came on the scene.

Associate
That bike makes me want to get into biking too!

I would actually love to get a bike the only thing putting me off is not my own stupidity but other drivers on the road and their stupidity

IC3

IC3

Soldato

I would actually love to get a bike the only thing putting me off is not my own stupidity but other drivers on the road and their stupidity
Just think that everyone one the road wants to kill you... oh and don't only think for yourself, but also for them too. :)

Associate

Just don't trust anyone to do the right thing. Don't trust people not to pull out etc

I ride on crazily busy roads, but I have no fear regarding safety. I guess I know it's all down to me (outside of crazy acts of "god".)

Soldato
You develop 'spidey senses' as a biker, stuff like a car parked on a driveway with a bit more sticking out than normal, or lights coming from a side road, or someone's wheels turning slightly when filtering all trigger my 'ok, what are you going to do?' sense. Even parked cars do this when they're parked with the wheels turned towards the road... :p:D

Soldato
OP
Just for a laugh I got a quote for the MT10.

Came back as the cheapest quote out of all the bikes I've looked at £329 FC.

Most others quotes coming in at £500-800 FC.

Weather permitting I'll be trying out the following over this weekend -

XSR900
GSX_S1000
CB1000R (again) I do like a lot
Z1000

And the curve ball - Versys 1000 Grand Tourer.

Back
Top Bottom