‘Back to the Future’ ride about to be axed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just been watching all three films again and a quick google revealed the following...

A ride that took theme park visitors Back to the Future is about to be relegated to the past.

The Universal Studios Hollywood ride based on the film trilogy starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd was taking its final passengers Monday. It was closing to make room for a new Simpsons attraction.

Back to the Future...The Ride, was the theme park's first high-technology thrill ride when it opened in 1993.

Passengers were strapped into a moving carriage — modeled after the film's DeLorean time machine — in front of a film projected on a domed screen, which gave the illusion of flight.

The new ride based on The Simpsons TV series will debut next year, theme park officials said.

rideclosednl3.jpg

Great ride based on an amazing trilogy of films. Brings back so many memories. Ive been to Universal Studios five times now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like it was axed Monday (3rd)...

The original attraction opened on May 2, 1991, at Universal Studios Florida. Its success prompted the construction of a nearly identical copy on June 2, 1993 at Universal Studios Hollywood and on March 31, 2001 at Universal Studios Japan. The original ride in Orlando enjoyed almost sixteen years of constant operation before its final closure, to little fanfare, on March 30, 2007, after operating at half capacity for over three months. The Hollywood ride publicly closed on Labor Day, September 3, 2007. In commemoration of the ride's final month of operation, a special event was held with Christopher Lloyd and Bob Gale making an appearance to begin the countdown of the rides closure[citation needed]. Additionally, a contest was announced with the grand prize winner receiving a classic 1981 De Lorean DMC-12 vehicle.

The ride at Universal Studios Japan is still open, with no plans for closure at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future:_The_Ride

16 Years, wow! :eek:

Soldato
How gay would a Simspons ride be, i bet it would be like its a small world but with simpsons models saying stupid things like doh whilst your in a little cart moving at 5mph.

I doubt it. As I understand it the Simpsons ride is making use of the existing BTTF karts and hydraulics. So you should expect something similar to the BTTF ride, just not benefiting from the cast and DeLorean. You'd actually be moving no where, yet alone 5 mph.

Soldato
Sign of the times I guess. Same with the Jaws ride that was shut down recently. I don't really see The Simpsons being a great replacement though, do people still watch that?

Soldato
Think this tread just went back to the future. I was thinking when I read the OP - Where is the Back to the Future Ride in Universal - I only ever new Spiderman, Transformers and The Simpsons - and I went 3 times since 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom