Back to work after paternity leave

Soldato
How did you settle back into work, I've had 14 days off and feel quite depressed that I have to return back tomorrow. Been receiving regular updates from work as to the workload and expecting 50 hour weeks with an hour commute so 7am I leave work and arrive home 7pm. :( will be very hard tomorrow am :(.

Soldato
pretty sure they should have had someone covering you rather than you making up for your missed work when your back...

does your contract make you do 50 hour weeks and long commutes ?

with a new child and possible depression i think you need to have a chat with them...

Soldato
Just work as you always worked. If they didn't cover you and theres a big backlog that's their issue. Do what you normally do and catch up when you can, don't kill yourself doing it.

Soldato
Just work as you always worked. If they didn't cover you and theres a big backlog that's their issue. Do what you normally do and catch up when you can, don't kill yourself doing it.

This. They should have covered your work while you were off, so don't bust yourself silly trying to catch up.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
If your out of the house 12 hours a day for work it's time to consider a new job with a better work life balance as you've discovered priorities change in life.

Nice idea, now try finding one that lets you spend enough time at home while still earning enough to support other half/baby.

I wish! :(

Soldato
Nice idea, now try finding one that lets you spend enough time at home while still earning enough to support other half/baby.

I recently found that!

Dropped a large amount of money but still on 40k+ and now work 35-40 hours a week compared to on 50k+ but I working 55-70 hours a week. Much happier and realised there is so much more to life than money and work. Get so much more time with the Missus and bairn it's unreal :)

Associate
I used to work 12/13 hours a day 6 days a week. Since our daughter has come, dont work half as much as that. spend loads of time with my daughter and just love it, ok money has taken a big hit havent upgraded the computer for over 2 years. but just love spending time. Well not now she is teething.

Associate

Could try to ask your boss for flexible hours, at least for the next month or so until you get fully settled back in.

But come on man. When my son was born I took a couple of weeks off and was dying to get back to work and out of the house for a change! You might find that having that break between work and home life is a good thing in the end... depends how needy your kids/missus are I guess.

My partner is also due to give birth any day now with our second, and I'm already planning what I'm doing when I go back to work. It's not that I don't want to go on paternity leave - i do, and I'll love it - but frankly the idea of being at home all day long week after week with the screaming kids is just a no-no! Give me a desk, headphones, strong coffee and then I'll go home and enjoy being with the family properly.

Maybe you should look into a different field if your work hours are too long. I work around 7 hours a day from an external studio/office and it's a great balance for me.

Soldato
If your out of the house 12 hours a day for work it's time to consider a new job with a better work life balance as you've discovered priorities change in life.

+1

sucks being a dad and working so many hours and i leave at 7:30am and back home for 5:30pm

no way could i do 12 hours day and barely see him. i only work a 4 day week too. especially as some days you wont even see them awake if you work 12 hours.

new job time. or face facts that your child will barely recognise you.

Soldato
I've just done this, 2 weeks wasn't enough as my girlfriend came home on the Thursday of the first week as she required surgery. Those 2 weeks flew by. Luckily my boss has been great and I have worked from home etc so been around to help as much as possible.

Going back to work was a bit of a break in some ways, I don't see much of my son as he goes to bed about 8pm and I get home at 7pm but I do look forward to seeing the little man. Weekends have a new meaning now.

You learn to adapt and soon settle in to a routine.

Soldato

Not practical, I wouldn't be able to earn the money I do without the commuting and doing the hours I do. I want my family to have the best chance in life and a nice place to live etc.

Soldato
Not practical, I wouldn't be able to earn the money I do without the commuting and doing the hours I do. I want my family to have the best chance in life and a nice place to live etc.

at the expense of seeing your son?

my dad did that when i was young. he wonders why i rarely bother to speak to him and we arent close.

a lot of people i know have sacrificed family for money. all of them are now divorced. at least the big pay packet helps you pay child maintenance and 2 mortgages....

i would seriously think about it.

Back
Top Bottom