1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, 22 Mar 2021.

?

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

Poll closed 11 Apr 2021.
  1. 1

0.7%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

2.1%
  5. 5

1.4%
  6. 6

6.2%
  7. 7

24.1%
  8. 8

42.1%
  9. 9

16.6%
  10. 10

6.9%
  1. BuffetSlayer

Mobster

Yeah it does start to look a bit suss. Bottas is a good driver but not good enough. Max and Sergio is a powerful combination if RBR keep up their cars performance. Merc may regret their decisions to keep Bottas on board when they have RBR chomping at their heels. I think the Merc is flattering Bottas but perhaps he has sold his soul and agreed to be Lewis' bitch in return for his seat..........

2. turbot1984

Wise Guy

Probably his last season at Merc? Four years is a good run though, I think Bottas is a good driver eclipsed by Lewmax Hamstappen.

3. adam cool dude

Capodecina

It cannot be good for the mind when you know you are second fiddle for your entire career.

Barichello came out a little bit when he left Ferrari and Schumacher's shadow.

4. MissChief

Capodecina

Straight into Jenson's sadly.

The thing is, if Bottas could match and beat Hamilton I reckon Mercedes would give him his shot and back him as they have Hamilton. He just can't do that.

5. rubberduck

Mobster

Lol at someone voting it a 1/10.

6. JBeck

Mobster

I disagree, Merc had no need to replace Bottas because the rest of the field/RB were not enough of a threat to mandate a driver change so I don't think any conspiracy theories/bitch to Lewis are justified. But now with the threat that RB pose we'll soon see what's what, and what that will be is Bottas out, Russell in, and there won't be any room for playing second fiddle it'll be quickest wins.

7. JBeck

Mobster

Half of the field would eclipse Bottas in a Merc, Russell, Leclerc, Max of course, Ric, Norris, Sainz, Gasly, they all have more potential than he does.

As per my previous post he's only been there so long due to the lack of threat from the opposition.

8. Junglist

Sgarrista

Ultimately this is the truth. Each year they start out at 0 but it seems Bottas for whatever reason can't mount a year long effort without falling too far behind mathematically before he makes himself become the second fiddle

9. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I'd like to see Bottas in a decent car after he leaves Merc. It's really hard to judge his quality when he's up against Hamilton, although being an average of just 0.082s slower in Qualifying against in Hamilton across a season seems like a solid result to me.

10. JRS

Capodecina

Lol at someone calling attention to themselves voting it a 1/10.

11. MissChief

Capodecina

But across a race, even 50 laps which is a longish circuit that's still 4 seconds behind your team mate. In an equal car that may as well be a hundred seconds. I think we all know Bottas isn't there to challenge Hamilton, he's there because he's a steady ship that can't challenge Hamilton but is also decently fast, fast enough that with the car advantage they've had over the past 4 years he will routinely bring in second place in the race.

12. BuffetSlayer

Mobster

I disagree on two points. Merc would have identified the probable threat of the RBR this season, particularly given that DAS is banned and the aero changes favour higher rake cars. Also, at every turn they have done what they can to keep Bottas in 2nd so he can't challenge Lewis.

Bottas only just bagged 2nd in WDC in 2020 with equal podiums and wins with Max, so to say there were no credible threats isnt quite true. Granted it may not have threatened the championship but to have a Merc driver only just scraping 2nd against an opponent in an inferior car should have sent up some red flags.

But I agree that if the heat is on and the WDC / WCC look under threat, I would be surprised if Bottas lasts the season (unless we see a consistently improved Bottas 3.0 or whatever version number he is on now).

13. deuse

Capodecina

I do wonder why they never told Ocon to give the place back to Yuki after cutting turn 4 to get the job done?

First race and F1 is in a mess of sorts.

14. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I don't disagree, but I don't think that makes him a bad driver. With a handful of exceptions I don't think many of the drivers on the grid could get that close. Bottas gets compared to the best and comes up short. No shame in that.

15. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

He’s good on Saturdays, but can’t quite hang onto Hamilton on a Sunday. His problem this year is that there’ll be 2-3 faster drivers in equal and near equal cars sat around him on the grid on a Sunday.

16. Steampunk

Sgarrista

Yes, everyone talks up Rosberg, but he was racing at a time when the Mercedes was mostly untouchable. If he was in the second seat the last couple of years, Rosberg would have the same problems that Bottas is having. Some of the other teams have caught up to Mercedes and are able to put pressure on them now. If you're not a Hamilton and able to give the car that little bit more performance, you're in the mix with other drivers in a way that didn't happen a few years ago.

I don't think Bottas is terrible, but he's not being flattered by the car the way Rosberg was because other teams have now caught up. Unless you're a Verstappen in a resurgent RBR, you're not going to compete with Hamilton/Mercedes at the front.

17. GravyMonster

Capodecina

You know the vote is public, right?

18. Milkybk

Sgarrista

Haha amazing! :D

@rubberduck do you get a sinking feeling? ;)

19. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

20. Stumble Bum

Mobster

On about half of the races last year you rated it 1/10.

Bit sad really.