'Band of Brothers' is just astonishing

Soldato
It really was one of the best series, HBO do incredible jobs with them, for example From the Earth to the Moon (Mercury/Gemini/Apollo) and I cannot wait for the new one in, hopefully 2019, The Mighty Eighth.

Soldato
Love BoB, watched it countless times.

Like many other I didn't get on with The Pacific at first but on the second watch about a year ago I enjoyed it a lot more. Doesn't have the sentimental value of BoB but it has other qualities I missed the first time.

Soldato
I agree Fatrakoon, I think the scene which most brings that home is the one where Lt Spiers runs past the germans to deliver the message and then runs back again. Its unbelievable, its insane, its bravery of the absolute highest degree. It utterly smacks of hollywood BS....right up until you find out by reading reports from the soldiers there, that it actually happened, the lunatic really did that. Just goes to show that fact really can be more amazing than fiction.

I was thinking of the same thing! We've been drowned with Hollywood ******** from nearly every other movie/series, but what Spiers did was actually 100% true. What a leader, especially at the time they needed one most after losing Winters and gaining Dike.

Associate
Just back from Belgium a few weeks ago and took a detour to Luxembourg to visit Skip Muck and Alex Penkala's graves. I've watched this show so many times I feel like I know these guys.
Very emotional trip.

Associate
Only finished watching it again this weekend. The end always leaves me with a lump in my throat/glazed eyes and the up most awe and respect for what the all went through/did, almost as a matter of fact.

If I'm not mistaken the oldest original survivor is Malarkey at a grand age of 96. Very sad to think he's the last remaining from Easy Company.

Soldato
Only finished watching it again this weekend. The end always leaves me with a lump in my throat/glazed eyes and the up most awe and respect for what the all went through/did, almost as a matter of fact.

If I'm not mistaken the oldest original survivor is Malarkey at a grand age of 96. Very sad to think he's the last remaining from Easy Company.

From the ones we see in the show, yes but I googled it to see and apparently these two are also alive. Don't recognise their names though.

Staff Sergeant Roderick Strohl (b. 24 June 1922)
Private First Class Edwin E. "Ed" Pepping (b. 4 July 1922)

Soldato
I watched, WW2 in colour on Netflix yesterday. It seem like quite a concise timeline of the whole thing which can often be quite hard to grasp.
I don't know whether it's fascination or morbid curiosity that draws me to the story of WW2. I find it so interesting how a whole world just went mental.

Associate
I watched, WW2 in colour on Netflix yesterday. It seem like quite a concise timeline of the whole thing which can often be quite hard to grasp.
I don't know whether it's fascination or morbid curiosity that draws me to the story of WW2. I find it so interesting how a whole world just went mental.

Also seem to share this strange fascination/curiosity of WW2, can't put my finger on it.

It might sound strange, but back then, putting aside the war the was taking place, time just seemed simpler in a way. At least to me. Only after the war did the world seem to accelerate in so many ways to what it has become today. Not that I'm saying this is a bad thing, just that the speed of development across all fields makes you wonder why we're in such a rush? :)

Strange sounding I'm know.

I usually watch it every year for a reality check on just how different life could be, these men were absolutely made of different stuff, I know we have courageous behaviour in recent battles but the stories from this are just something else.

Yes, a lot of very courageous individuals during WW2. I suppose in the face of diversity people will do extraordinary things, which to them they don't much bat an eyelid towards.

Associate
From the ones we see in the show, yes but I googled it to see and apparently these two are also alive. Don't recognise their names though.

Staff Sergeant Roderick Strohl (b. 24 June 1922)
Private First Class Edwin E. "Ed" Pepping (b. 4 July 1922)

I don't recognise the names from the series, but towards the end they did have a lot of replacements. Are these names from Easy Company or the other companies?

Associate
Caporegime
I guess once you've lived through that you can live through anything, how most of them didn't have severe PTSD is anyone's guess. Seems like they just got on with life as normal on return and I doubt anything ever stressed them out again as they'd already been pushed to their limit.

Man of Honour
Still , to this day, the greatest TV show I've ever seen. For a whole gamut of reasons, realism, emotion, impact, acting, score, interview scenes. Its about as perfect a show as I think I'll ever see.

Back
Top Bottom