bang and spark from power supply!

Associate
Hello,

I recently moved house and plugged my computer in for the first time.

The computer was connected through a surge protected extension lead. When I turned the computer on, there was a bang and a spark from the power supply.

I've tried different extension leads and power leads and plugging the computer directly into the socket in the wall but I get the same problem each time.

I've tried other electrical devices in the same sockets and extension lead and they've worked fine.

It looks as if my power supply has gone and needs replacing, but I wanted to check whether there could be anything else which is causing me problems. I don't want to replace the power supply and run into further problems.

Someone suggested connecting the green and black pins of the 24 pin connector together with a paper clip to see if the power supply started up! Is this a good idea or not?

Thanks for your help,
Jon

Permabanned
I've got a similiar problem. I can't think of any other option but buying a new PSU and find out if anything else is knackered. I would recommend that you don't try and mess with your PSU as they can be dangerous bits of kit. I wouldn't do it anyway, lol ;)

Hopefully someone else has a few ideas to help you out!

Paul

Soldato
What brand/model is the PSU that just died? Yeah if you have a spare at all it will make it a whole lot easier to test if the PSU has obviously gone, sounds to me like it has if you say what has actually happened.

It may of taken out some of your other components, but first off you need to find out if the PSU is broken.

Could you also post your full spec please?

Associate
OP
I'm at work now, and I can't remember my full spec exactly, but the PSU is an Antec one (it came with my old Antec case, and it's about 400W)

CPU: Athlon XP 2800+
Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe (I think)
1 gig of DDR PC 2700 RAM (can't remember the brand)
Graphics: Radeon 9700 pro

Any ideas what could have caused this, if it is the PSU that's gone? I've never had any problems with the PSU, and this happened after moving house and plugging it into a socket there for the first time. The computer wasn't dropped or anything during the move. Could it be a problem with the electrics in the new flat?

Thanks

Associate
Yes that's right you can try and see if your PSU starts by shorting the PSU using a paper clip and the black and green connectors, make sure you read a little about it on the internet before you try it, there a hundreds of guides there :) (Google is your friend). Aside from that, it does look like your PSU has gone, hopefully it won't have taken any components with it as Antec are a good brand.

Kiz

EDIT: I doubt it could be a problem with electrics as you did say you have tried other components and they were fine so it's not likely (though I could be wrong)

Soldato
It won't be the electrics in the house, its the same all over the country. It will just have run its course and probably just given up - hardware doesn't last forever ;)

When did you purchase this PSU by the way? (I have another Antec powering a similar system to yours and its still going)
Does it still have warranty?

Soldato
My new Antec has a 5 year warranty, I think they have the same throughout their ranges. It's worth investigating I should think!

Associate
OP
Ok, the PSU is an Antec True 430p. I tried connecting the green and black wires to start it up without having it connected up to the Mobo, and the same thing happened - small bang and spark and it didn't start up.

So I think it's safe to say that the PSU is knackered.

Would it be possible for a fault in my mains supply to have caused this? The computer won't have been damaged in transit during my move, and it would be a massive coincidence it the PSU just decided to die the first time I plugged it in here...

Haven't been able to get hold of a spare PSU yet, will do tomorrow... I'll report back then.

Associate
4 years old!

When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. Perhaps 20% if you keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

So if your PC has some high draw components - it may of been borderline recently. Just a cold cold boot failure.

Man of Honour
My Antec True Blue did the same thing. Bang, spark. It blew the plug fuse and I knew that shouldn't be, so I opened up the PSU and discovered there was a small hole in the side of a somewhat large capacitor, so that was that. It was bought about the same time as yours by the sound of things.

Back
Top Bottom