1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bank account No photo ID just birth certificate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RadoX, Nov 27, 2012.

1. RadoX

Wise Guy

There any high street banks i can walk into tomorrow and get a bank account for wages to be payed into with just my birth certificate as ID.

2. arknor

Caporegime

pretty sure thats a NO

some of them let you apply online and digitally authenticate your ID
    I did this with halifax and never needed to show them any ID but it took a few weeks

I applied online for lloyds and had to show photo ID before they opened the account

3. estebanrey

Capodecina

[​IMG]

4. RickST

Wise Guy

how old are you?

5. SeraphX

Soldato

I think you could on a Halifax instant saver, I had one from ages back when i had basically no ID either, no driving licence or passport, I might be wrong though or they could have changed the rules regarding it.

6. Resident

Wise Guy

Santander let me open an account in person recently without photo ID. They took my birth cert (full one), a letter from a government agency (HMRC) and a letter to my home address from my employer.

7. Hikari Kisugi

Capodecina

You need a proof of ID and proof of address to open any account, any bank not doing this (HSBC) will be fined big style.

Birth cert (long form) is a valid proof of ID, you will also need a proof of address.

8. Vita

Sgarrista

Form I.D / Passport/Driving Licence

Proof of Address / Utility bill, or any other bank account address.

I'm pretty sure by law you can have only 1 current account at anytime, but can have many saving accounts?

9. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Nonsense. You can have as many current accounts as you want.

Pretty much every bank says that you can only have 1 student account (and thus student overdraft) but that's only in their T&Cs rather than anything in law.

10. arknor

Caporegime

so is birth certificate short form if you were born before XXX year. 1983 I think?

because there were no long form birth certificates before then as I had to argue with the post office when I used their passport check and send service.

which the women claimed would never be accepted because she failed at reading compreshension

11. [FnG]magnolia

Capodecina

Are you talking about in Laos or the UK? It's adorable that you are unable to call a bank and, you know, ask them.

12. RadoX

Wise Guy

Because the banks are open at 8.00 at night. Also UK.

13. [FnG]magnolia

Capodecina

Most banks will have a customer service line which will answer this very, very basic question. In fact, their website probably will too.

14. Syla5

Mobster

They don't shut down their websites, which have full t's&c's on, and information on acceptable forms of I.D.

15. Viper²

Sgarrista

How did you travel abroad without a passport?

16. RickST

Wise Guy

17. pingwing

Capodecina

Op why would you try and do this?!? You at very least need some form of ID and if you're 12 a parent and your birth certificate will do.

Being on the electoral role helps too.

Nope I have 5, no reason for them to limit the numbers.

18. Vita

Sgarrista

Ah right, I guess I was misinformed.

19. JonJ678

Capodecina

Natwest will let you register for an account with no ID whatsoever. I know this because it is possible to withdraw money from other people's Natwest accounts with no ID.

The drawback of course is that you are then with Natwest, who will periodically give your money out to strangers. Because Natwest employ witless morons.

Grr.

20. RadoX

Wise Guy

came home on ETD thai prison officials decided to loose it. along with all my bank account cards netbook phone and about £3,000 cash.

I did actually post about me being in Thai prison and English prison but no one believed me and the thread got locked. I will scan my deportation papers if anyone actually wants proof.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012