Bashkirian Airlines Flight 2937

Permabanned
ErinGoBrath said:
If the TCAS detects an imminent collision when the plane is on autopilot will autopilot perform the accent/decend without manual intervention?

At a guess, no. It's an advisory. A computer works on sheer logic and not objectiveness or opinion, so I don't think it would be trusted to make decisions like that on its own.

Man of Honour
SiD the Turtle said:
Scuzi doesn't this kind of thing scare the **** out of you? I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to work at ATC every day of the week, knowing that despite all the precautions and safety systems you can have, sometimes accidents do unfortunately happen.
Yes, it does. Sometimes after having an 'incident' controllers have to take the rest of the day off or even longer. Based on personal experience, if they get at al lclose you think to yourself 'what if?' and it can scare hte crap out of you.

I do try my best to keep them apart though so it doesn't crop up too often :p

ErinGoBrath said:
If the TCAS detects an imminent collision when the plane is on autopilot will autopilot perform the accent/decend without manual intervention?
Nope, the pilot will have to perform the manouevre.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Shotgun_ned said:
Why did I read this thread...

I'm going to Prague tomorrow and it'll only be my second time flying :(.

Mid airs and hull loss this side of the world are extremely rare. They only make the news because they hardly ever happen.

The flight from here to Prague is what? Just over an hour? You won't even have time to blink.

Associate
Lysander said:
Mid airs and hull loss this side of the world are extremely rare. They only make the news because they hardly ever happen.

The flight from here to Prague is what? Just over an hour? You won't even have time to blink.

2 1 hour 20 min trips, since we have to change in Amsterdam. I'm not really worried, I know it is damn rare and nothing will happen. I loved it the first time so I am actually looking forward to it :).

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Shotgun_ned said:
2 1 hour 20 min trips, since we have to change in Amsterdam. I'm not really worried, I know it is damn rare and nothing will happen. I loved it the first time so I am actually looking forward to it :).

I love flying... landing mostly, though take-off is quite exciting too. I love the fifteen or so minutes from descent to landing, especially when you get very close to the ground and the runway. It's all so controlled and measured.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
PanMaster said:
Why didn't the pilots of the freighter use parachutes, stuck doors?
you are in a metal cigar weighing 115,000kilograms, travelling at roughly 500 miles an hour, and you hit a similarly sized metal cigar in the same fashion.

you won't even have the opportunity to say ****.

Man of Honour
Aod said:
you are in a metal cigar weighing 115,000kilograms, travelling at roughly 500 miles an hour, and you hit a similarly sized metal cigar in the same fashion.

IIRC the tail of the DHL aircraft was removed and the crew were fully aware and were struggling to regain control right until they impacted the ground.

Not a nice way to go.

There wouldn't have been an opportunity to leave the aircraft via a parachute for a multitude of reasons.

Associate
Aod said:

It says in the article the freighter (plane 611) only lost 4/5 of its top stabiliser and it continued for several km. They died in the crash landing.

Back
Top Bottom