Basic Speaker Advice

Associate
Hi all,

Just wanted some speaker advice please, I'm currently using these Creative 5.1 speakers (as a 2.1 setup), but they are looking quite tatty and I want to replace them. The problem is most of the speaker setups I find are 2.0 setups rather than 2.1 setups, can these compete against the 2.1 setup having a sub?

These are the speakers that have caught my eye:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...bQ&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CJ6Hhvff9tMCFS8S0wodjCwMlw

Thanks!

Soldato
I'd rather have stereo speakers, than 2.1 with a low quality subwoofer. Typically subs with PC branded speakers are pretty awful. Also many speakers will outclass the subs in a PC system.

Still you're talking <£100 for 2.0 or 2.1 which is normally way lower than even one speaker. Personally I'd buy some passive speakers, a T-amplifier, and a subwoofer such as BK Gemini if you're on a budget. Say Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's for about £50, another £30 for the amp, and about £150 for the sub

Soldato
Mods are slacking. :p Normally by now someone gets told to remove a competitor link to a product OcUK sells.

Stereo speakers can't compete with a subwoofer for bass output. Funnily enough though, another member returned some T20's because there was too much bass; or more to the point, 'forced' bass. He returned them for some Edifier R1600T III; which having larger woofers, don't need to rely on Bose style processing to get bass from small drivers.

Soldato
Mods are slacking. :p Normally by now someone gets told to remove a competitor link to a product OcUK sells.

Stereo speakers can't compete with a subwoofer for bass output. FHe returned them for some Edifier R1600T III; which having larger woofers, don't need to rely on Bose style processing to get bass from small drivers.

Not always. Depends. Floorstanders with multiple 8" drivers, compared to a BK Gemini for example..

unnily enough though, another member returned some T20's because there was too much bass; or more to the point, 'forced' bass.

Probably because it was just boomy and awful. No subwoofer is better than a crap subwoofer.

Soldato
The problem with 2.1 setups is the satellite speakers are small, so they tend to wash out the mids. Also hornetstinger is totally correct, you can get regular 2 or 3 way speakers that provide amble bass.

You can do much better then the Creative speakers you have listed, the drivers on them are far to small, plus plastic enclosure. If the case is removed from them I expect there will be a cheap Chinese electronics inside them.

The minimum you want for decent sound quality is something like these, also front ported so they can go close to a wall.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edifier-studio-r1600t-iii-2.0-60w-speakers-maple-sp-040-er.html

or these

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...peakers-rms-70-watts-r1800tiii-sp-038-er.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom