Basic steering wheel and pedals

Soldato
I am looking to get a steering wheel for the following games:

Assetto Corsa or however you spell that
Project Cars 1 (and maybe 2)
Forza Horizon 3
Forza 7
Hopefully older games too like Shift 2

Ideally I'd be looking to spend less than £100 or a wheel and two pedals. But Is there any point in this/ Would I regret getting something like this (hopefully not a competitor as the OCUK wheel under £50 doesn't have pedals by the looks ofit!) or do you really need to spending more like £200 on the OCUK thrustmaster to get something halfway decent.

And then, if I do have a proper wheel do I really need a proper mount and seat for it instead of sitting bolt upright in my office chair?

Soldato
Ideally I'd be looking to spend less than £100 or a wheel and two pedals. But Is there any point in this/ Would I regret getting something like this (hopefully not a competitor as the OCUK wheel under £50 doesn't have pedals by the looks ofit!) or do you really need to spending more like £200 on the OCUK thrustmaster to get something halfway decent.

And then, if I do have a proper wheel do I really need a proper mount and seat for it instead of sitting bolt upright in my office chair?

While the DFGT is a good starter wheel (I used to have one), I'd be on the look out for a used G25/G27. You get way better pedals, actual paddle shifters instead of buttons and a proper manual shifter.

You don't *need* a dedicated rig. Although the upright office chair thing isn't exactly ideal, plenty of people manage just fine with it.
Yes, you'd regret buying that horrible thing on Amazon :)

Associate
I haven't seen the G29 + stick go for less. I like mine. Used it for Forza Horizon, Project cars1 and Assetto.
Like all Crimbo presents, I was done with it and driving games within a month. So glad I didn't go full throttle with a £300+ Thrustmaster setup purchase.

But also glad I didn't spend less. You become acutely aware of its quality vs your experience with real cars wheels and pedals whilst using it. The shifter works, but is tad naff. The wheel and pedals are quite good when you balance your expectations correctly.
It will do for VR driving games in future.

I was disappointed that you can't (easily) just go and use it with old driving games.

Associate
I've just picked up the Logitech G920 steering wheel and shifter set for £149.99.

I previously purchased the Thrustmaster TMX but have had to return it for refund as upon installation I found that the cooling fan had failed and was emitting a loud buzzing sound from within the wheel base.

I'm loathe to buy the same wheel again if it risks suffering the same problem. From what I can gather it is a common fault across all Thrustmaster wheels, they're just using garbage fans inside and a lot of people are modding them out.

Anything over £200 is too much as I'm not a dedicated sim racer and just want something to enjoy P Cars and Dirt Rally with.

I remember the Logitech wheel going on the same sale last year and so I just bought that today whilst waiting for the money back on the Thrustmaster

Associate
Also got a G920 and shifter in the sales today £149.00. I've been putting off getting a wheel for a while as I only game casually but the deal seemed too good to be true and when coupled with my HTC Vive, Project cars and Dirt Rally so far it seems money very well spent. It really adds to the immersion. For £149 I don't think you can go wrong with a G920

Back
Top Bottom