Bathroom renovations

Associate
Hi all,
We're in the process of getting some quotes for renovating our en-suite and main bathroom:
  • En-suite: moving the vanity, moving the toilet, installing bidet, removing current door and installing pocket door, tiling walls
  • Main bathroom: removing bathtub, installing walk-in shower, installing bidet
We got the first quote from a local firm, they'd do the work in 5-6 days for £2,880 incl. VAT.
We should be receiving another quote this week, but in the meantime, I was wondering if the price is honest? I've never had to do anything similar before so I have no idea what to budget for and what a good price would be...

Also, any recommendations for good shops to source bidets, shower and tiles? Maybe with showrooms in the East London/Essex area?

Soldato
That’s a decent quote tbh. We paid about 2k in labour for a full re-tile and replacing the subfloor as it has become rotten.

We’ve had a number of quotes in the past for 5k+ (labour only) to redo our bathroom which we understandably passed on.

You can’t go too wrong with places like topps tiles, everything else can be bought online.

Associate
OP
That’s a decent quote tbh. We paid about 2k in labour for a full re-tile and replacing the subfloor as it has become rotten.

We’ve had a number of quotes in the past for 5k+ (labour only) to redo our bathroom which we understandably passed on.

You can’t go too wrong with places like topps tiles, everything else can be bought online.
That's great to know, as the second firm have disappeared and stopped replying to my messages...
Thanks, we'll have a look a Topps.

Soldato
We paid £220 a day for someone to do our main bathroom recently, if that helps. Ended up taking him 8.5 days (strip it all, then fit new stuff, tile, floor etc). Tiling took him the longest.

Soldato
We're getting quotes to have an existing shower cubicle replaced, like for like. For one was £1,300, which I thought was a bit high, but then then the second one came in... £2,875 for a shower tray, and enclosure! :eek::confused:

Associate
That quote sounds decent tbh. It's hard to tell without knowing what work would actually be needed (e.g. moving a toilet can be anything from about an hour, to a full day, dependant on where the soil pipe is. As an example, I re-did my bathroom not too long ago, and that meant moving the soil pipe, so it came into the room in a different section of the wall, so was obviously a much bigger job than if it can connect up to where the pipe already is.

Soldato
We're getting quotes to have an existing shower cubicle replaced, like for like. For one was £1,300, which I thought was a bit high, but then then the second one came in... £2,875 for a shower tray, and enclosure! :eek::confused:
That's insane. We just had a shower tray and enclosure replaced for about £350.

Soldato
You'll find that the amount of tiling can really affect the price. We went for full wall and floor tiling and paid £7500 that's for labour, bathroom suite, lighting, ceiling audio, radiator, tiles etc. 10 days work.

Permabanned
Ours turned out quite dear because when they ripped all the old tiles/furniture out the majority of the walls just fell to pieces. Had to be completely gutted which added at least 2-3 days labour/work to the job.

If I recall we ended up spending about 10 grand, but thats everything new, new pipework, new walls/plaster, new flooring, underfloor heating, floor to ceiling tiling, new bath, new vanity unit/sink, new bath, new shower/tray/glass shower wall thing. Difficult to compare prices as all jobs are quite different.

Back
Top Bottom