BBC kept £106,000 of charity money

Caporegime
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7392213.stm

BBC said:
The BBC is to broadcast an apology after admitting a subsidiary company kept £106,000 from premium-rate phone- ins that should have gone to charity.

Its director general, Mark Thompson, has been asked by the trust to consider disciplinary action against a small number of staff.

The problems, detailed in a report commissioned by the BBC Trust, happened between October 2005 and September last year.

Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons blamed "unacceptable behaviour from a small number of staff".

A small number of staff? A small number of staff was responsible to hiding £106,000 for the BBC trust board was it? If they can do that then why are they working for the BBC? I'm sure a multination company will pay them for the money skills :rolleyes:

They seem to be passing these off as one off cases with ITV, Channel 4 and the BBC, but is it really? How far back are they willing to go? How far back are the broadcasters willing to let them go?

Commissario
Hardly enough detail to go on in that article.

Disciplinary action could include sackings.

Yup, or sideways promotion to the Arctic unit.

What happened was definately wrong, but from what has been said on the news it happened over the space of 20 odd programmes over several years, so could even be in part accounting problems (given how much money is involved in such phone ins it's likely to be a fraction of a percent), that weren't sorted when the lower/middle guys became aware of them (but were caught when a full audit was done).

Caporegime
OP
I would like to point out that when I posted the topic there was very little infomation in the link, no outside companies, no percentages etc :p

Permabanned
It's not an outside company though is it? It's a company that's fully owned by the BBC, BBC Worldwide to be exact, and just because they probably don't have BBC headed notepaper doesn't make it any less sly on the BBC's part.

Back
Top Bottom