BBC News HD no longer available on Freeview from 30th June 2022

Soldato
BBC News HD no longer available on Freeview from 30th June 2022

Options:
- watch the SD channel (lol no)
- use iPlayer
- stop watching BBC News

I'm very surprised that a main channel would just die off like this. Gonna pee off a lot of people.

Associate
You'll still have the regular news on BBC1 though? 24 hour BBC news isn't much more than that really, just repeated segments and a couple of things like click/the papers/whatever that movie review one is.

Plus knowing what the BBC is like, I'm sure they'll bring it back in the near future. Appreciate it's different but look at BBC 3, they clearly still see a future with broadcast rather than online only.

Soldato
compared to loss of bbc four , and perpetuation of (woke) three, I think the loss of news hd/1080i is incidental.
(dead ringers did an excellent satire of sally rooneys junk show for three)

freeview reception over last few days has been patchy with the weather and troposheric ducting

Caporegime
Stop watching news. Not watched the news properly for years, well before the pandemic.

Though when I have been with my parents - staying with them at their home or at self catering accommodation- they have to watch the bloody news. I go to my room to read

I feel like there's more to this story, you should probably start a thread.

Soldato
You'll still have the regular news on BBC1 though? 24 hour BBC news isn't much more than that really, just repeated segments and a couple of things like click/the papers/whatever that movie review one is.

Plus knowing what the BBC is like, I'm sure they'll bring it back in the near future. Appreciate it's different but look at BBC 3, they clearly still see a future with broadcast rather than online only.
I wonder how much of the stuff on 24 hour news channels is actually new stuff? If you remove the repeat news reports, interviews etc

Soldato
Shame, the SD channel quality is so bad its hard to read the news banner.

Why can't they scrap all the rubbish sd channels that no one watches instead.
HD news literally doesn't work because of regional news. Have you ever tried watching it? Most of the time it's on a countdown timer saying change the channel

Soldato
HD news literally doesn't work because of regional news. Have you ever tried watching it? Most of the time it's on a countdown timer saying change the channel
I have it on in the background but none of the bbc HD channels support regional news apart from London.

I know the time of freeview is coming to an end but shame they are getting rid of some of the few remaining hd channels.

Commissario
Not sure why they haven’t solved that problem, it’s so annoying.
IIRC because the cost of updating all the playout infrastructure and the regional news rooms is prohibitive (especially as I don't think HD news was available on all transmitters), there have been some very good threads on another forum about it by people who have worked in the industry.

Back
Top Bottom