BBC pay: Men still dominate star salaries list

Man of Honour
Love an angry poster oof go on
There is no point in getting angry about it. Anger doesn't solve anything. I will simply move companies and take my 30+ years experience elsewhere. I have to put myself and my family first. Meanwhile my old job will probably go to someone based on their gender and not on their ability or experience. All the people working for me may have a worse time. The quality of service we give could fall. In the mean time there is an argument to say there is no reason for me to go that extra mile to fix someones problem, or pick up the phone when soneone needs help at midnight, or make myself available for contact (for free) at weekends, because it doesnt matter how hard I work I won't see any benefit from it. Maybe I should kick back, relax and enjoy time with my family instead.

In reality I want to do a professional job so I will still go that extra mile. But if a significant number of others come to the same conclusion then it will start affecting the company.

Changing society to force equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity is going to have deep, long lasting and detremental effects on us all.

Associate
You get paid your worth, simple as. It’s like the controversy surrounding the gender pay gap within football where it was described it as ‘worse than in politics’. Male football draws phenomenally larger crowds, generating much larger sums of money, why wouldn’t they be paid more? This is basic logic, the media know this but unfortunately there are enough stupid people to keep it the fire burning.

Caporegime
that kind of makes sense though, I'm assuming the shop floor is predominantly male and the females employed there are likely to be university graduates working in HR, Finance etc.. and perhaps some graduate engineers

likewise IIRC the bike shop Halfords has a very big gender pay gap in favour of females

Yep, plus the other big factor is as soon as a women even suspects shes pregnant shes off the shop floor into the offices and then on an easy management/sent on training to become an engineer or something route.

Soldato
Christ, after reading this thread I'm glad I work in an industry where salary is dependant on job title/role alone. Everyone is paid the exact same regardless of gender, race, experience whatever.

Good. When men have the option to take 9 months to a year off, paid, to look after a child, then let's talk about salary equality.

For every woman that benefits from maternity leave, a man does too.

Last edited:
Soldato
For every woman that benefits from maternity leave, a man does too.

Single mothers don't exist in Strings world? Or at least working single mothers don't.

I'm not against the idea of paid parental leave. But the provisions for women in the UK and generally around the world, where available at all, remain far more generous generally then thoose for men making it less likely that a male partner in a heterosexual couple could afford to be the primary carer of a young child.

Christ, after reading this thread I'm glad I work in an industry where salary is dependant on job title/role alone. Everyone is paid the exact same regardless of gender, race, experience whatever.

So you probably work in the public sector?

Last edited:
Caporegime

I wouldn't be. Everyone paid the same regardless of experience? What sort of communist nonsense is that. If you're a skilled worker or professional you should be able to negotiate your own pay IMO.

As for gender and race, you can't base pay on those factors, that would be illegal regardless of whether you work somewhere where everyone with the same job title gets paid the same or not.

Soldato
I wouldn't be. Everyone paid the same regardless of experience? What sort of communist nonsense is that. If you're a skilled worker or professional you should be able to negotiate your own pay IMO.

What's experience bringing that warrants more money? The guy with 10 years with the company is worth more than the guy with 5? If they do the same job, then why more money just for being there longer?

Caporegime
What's experience bringing that warrants more money? The guy with 10 years with the company is worth more than the guy with 5? If they do the same job, then why more money just for being there longer?

Depends on the person but someone with say 10 years experience as a C++ developer would be better than someone much newer. On the flip side why should Someone fresh out of uni get paid the same when they'll inevitably be inefficient relative to an experienced employee. You've also got the fact that someone might know the system/code base well etc... suppose you have say two programmers of equal skill but one has spent years working on a system and the other is completely unfamiliar with it... well the latter would likely be way more efficient.

It's not as though experience is the only factor or even the most relevant one, how productive be you are counts for a lot. Someone experienced might well have had several years of pay rises relative to a new starter but if they're really good then they can catch up and overtake them. Paying everyone the same makes no sense

Soldato
Paying everyone the same makes no sense

Some of the younger guys in my team do twice the work of the older guys. Your statement might work in your industry, but definitely not in mine. Reading this thread, entitlement due to gender and experience doesn't seem to work where it's supposed to. As I say, in my industry we'd be paying the lazy old demoralised team members more than the productive young guys... And the women get paid the exact same as their male colleagues (although there's far more men than women).

Caporegime
Some of the younger guys in my team do twice the work of the older guys. Your statement might work in your industry, but definitely not in mine. Reading this thread, entitlement due to gender and experience doesn't seem to work where it's supposed to. As I say, in my industry we'd be paying the lazy old demoralised team members more than the productive young guys... And the women get paid the exact same as their male colleagues (although there's far more men than women).

No you wouldn't, you've clearly missed the point. See the second part of my post ref experience not being the only factor.

If these younger guys in your workplace do twice the work then how do you justify paying them the same? Is that not ratger unfair that they're not getting paid more than the mediocre/slow people (who happen to be old in this case).

Soldato
No you wouldn't, you've clearly missed the point. See the second part of my post ref experience not being the only factor.

If these younger guys in your workplace do twice the work then how do you justify paying them the same? Is that not ratger unfair that they're not getting paid more than the mediocre/slow people (who happen to be old in this case).

Everyone gets paid the same, we don't punish the less able or less willing with less pay, as that would be chaos. We have appraisal systems and assessment processes to deal with that kind of thing. ;)

Soldato
Everyone gets paid the same, we don't punish the less able or less willing with less pay, as that would be chaos.

What a strange comment a society that failed to 'punish' the less willing (to work hard) truly would be a society that degenerated into chaos.

I infer from your posting history that you may work offshore in the resource extraction industry maybe connected with diving?

I can't imagine that working and living for week(s) on end with some slackers makes for a good work or living environment?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Everyone gets paid the same, we don't punish the less able or less willing with less pay, as that would be chaos. We have appraisal systems and assessment processes to deal with that kind of thing. ;)

thatbjist doesn't work in so many jobs. Sure if you're doing some sort of manual labour then maybe you can have a situation where a brick later gets X per hour etc... But in a professional environment it just doesn't work like that - if you want to recruit people with different skill sets or experience albeit working in the same team you need to have some flexibility with pay.

Back
Top Bottom