BBC pay: Men still dominate star salaries list

Caporegime
I too look forward enthusiastically to the day when I will be able to get up every ten minutes to make a cup of tea or relieve myself of it. I certainly can't see why I should have to pay for the absolute rubbish that the chattering classes want to watch on television.

I agree with you that it is an absolute disgrace the the Government should be allowed to extort funds from the long-suffering public to finance all sorts of pointless activities.
  • Why do we need armed forces to terrorise harmless people around the world?
  • Why should I have to pay for roads or buses where I don't live?
I should only have to pay for public services that I personally need and use!

Did you seriously just compare Eaatenders production to the army or roads?

Soldato
How much new content does netflix itself produce, especially things like news? ;)

UHD is relatively easy to provide if you only have to do it via the internet and all it needs is software to work, getting something like that on broadcast is a bit of a bigger issue and something the BBC R&D department tends to end up getting heavily involved in even if they don't use it themselves at first (as they're one of the major partners in the broadcasting specifications for Europe).

Also how many TV programmes are produced in UHD, and what proportion of the TV/Netflix viewing public have UHD capable screens?
IIRC the BBC is already recording some content with a "long shelf life" such as documentary and sports in UHD, but can't even think of broadcasting in UHD until enough of the public have capable receivers for it to sat

TV news is pretty much irrelevant now, you can find everything online. More in fact.

Netflix has produced some very good shows in recent years. Amazon as well. Better quality stuff than you'd find on the modern BBC too.

Associate
If there is such an obsession with the so called pay gap then the only way I can see it done across the UK is to ban salaries and make everyone work on a hourly basis, potentially though this would lead to mass redundancies which in turn would cause many businesses to fail due to the sheer cost of this. So many more problems would also be caused because then there would be the argument of some sectors having more male staff. Then the other thing that caused a massive debate on here and in the media would be splitting hourly pay into sectors again whereby dinner "staff" in schools are paid more than refuse collectors totally ignoring the fact that it is different work. The BBC could perhaps look at pay based on viewing figures, but this would then lead to so many other issues.

The big factor with all this though is what group of people are making the most noise about it, is it the women employed at the BBC for example or is it people taking offence on behalf of others (generally seems to be the root cause of discrimination). Of course then there will be so called positive discrimination, a concept that makes no sense at all - a good bad thing, which given time would lead to a pay gap the other way around and the whole process would start again! I'm all for equality but changes to businesses make it pretty much impossible.

Soldato
What a strange comment a society that failed to 'punish' the less willing (to work hard) truly would be a society that degenerated into chaos.

I infer from your posting history that you may work offshore in the resource extraction industry maybe connected with diving?

I can't imagine that working and living for week(s) on end with some slackers makes for a good work or living environment?

I didn't really have time to respond properly the other day (I really just flit in and out of GD from time to time), but I did want to say a little more as the "slackers" comment doesn't convey the actual situation IMO.

Yes, I work offshore and I supervise multi disciplined teams of around 30 personnel. All tradesmen are paid the same until they start to climb through the various tiers of supervision, at which point they will start to get salary increases due to increased responsibility. All the supervision also get paid the same regardless of their skill set or number of people working for them, so one Foreman may have 4 guys working for him and the other Foreman may have 10 under his supervision and both Foreman will be paid the same. Equally, I am paid the same as any other Team Lead on another platform and that Team Lead may have 10 guys under him whereas I might have 30. He might have 5 years experience, I might have 15... we both get the same pay as it's based on job title/role.

I've never met anyone working in this environment who thinks this is unfair, probably because it isn't unfair. I wouldn't say that there could be justification to pay one guy more than the other, as the majority of people meet my expectations and that's all they are asked to do. Some guys enjoy certain aspects of their role better than others and will produce more as a result. The reverse is also true. We get certain people who could be described as lazy, and there are others who seem to enjoy working flat out. That's just individual character, and I wouldn't see any need to penalise someone financially for that.

I can't imagine the nightmare I would have if I had to measure production from the team and then award levels of pay accordingly. It would be utter chaos and also open to abuse. To be perfectly honest, I am not interested in how much people get paid as it's irrelevant to me.

This isn't unique to offshore, it's the same onshore. It also isn't a company policy, because the rates of pay are standardised across the industry so you will be paid the same if you do the same role with another company. Wage negotiations are done collectively and applied by every company at the same time.

Caporegime
Speak for yourself, the banter between them makes it entertaining,

Why would anyone tune in at a set time just for highlights when you can get them online anytime you want? makes no sense.

Hd quality? Where can you get full highlights legally online in hdtv quality suitable for a 40" plus tv.

I don't think I've ever seen any real banter on match of the day.

Just dry punditry.

Caporegime
Hd quality? Where can you get full highlights legally online in hdtv quality suitable for a 40" plus tv.

I don't think I've ever seen any real banter on match of the day.

Just dry punditry.
"They needed to have a plan and play to their strengths and that's what they done all game."

Punditry like that is surely worth millions. What better use of public money could there possibly be than paying Shearer millions for his "insights"? :p

As a side benefit, his mastery of English means that any children watching will benefit from his impeccable grammar skills.

Soldato
Once again the BBC (lord Hall radio4) so busy virtue signalling about the reduced gender pay gap, and complaining about the burden of the over 75's tv license,
they said nothing at all about any kind of increased viewer satisfaction, isn't that their purpose
... only 60% of people think the bbc satisfies impartial news and helps understanding. .. so let's reduce their bonuses license fee

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/124422/BBC-annual-report.pdf

48182521062_9de4c578dc_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
Some people believe that Trump is a great man and that the earth is flat

Belief doesn't alter reality. The BBC are immensely impartial compared to almost any other news source other than organisations like Reuters.

Soldato
The BBC are immensely impartial compared to almost any other news source other than organisations like Reuters.

Problem with the BBC is if you want to watch any live television in the UK you need to pay regardless of whether you wanna to watch their content or not.

Therefore they can be expected to be held to high standards of expected impartiality like the rest of the tax funded organisations in this country whoose funding is extracted under theat of eventual imprisonment for non payers.

Soldato
The BBC are immensely impartial ....
they often try to be so impartial and transparant, they do not perform any due diligence on the material they are funnelling, could easily open up Brexit here,
but I thought the more recent question on Corbyns fitness for purpose, indeed similar to the questions posed about Trump, is an issue where the BBC could/should haul in a few experts pyschologists to give their viewpoint, in retrospect the job took its toll on May.

Caporegime
Just scrap the license. I barely watch it now, let it go to subscription

Well if you barely watch it, then I guess we should just let a great British institution die...

Never mind their exceptional news coverage online and on TV, huge range of Radio stations inc BBC 6 Music and 5 Live, award winning podcasts such as the brexit cast and Kermode and Mayo.

I'm sitting here watching their extensive Glastonbury coverage right now. A week ago I finished Killing Eve Series 2.

Soldato
Well if you barely watch it, then I guess we should just let a great British institution die...

With the quaility they're pumping out. It's already half dead

Never mind their exceptional news coverage online and on TV,

With horrendous questionable bias where most people get their news from somewhere else.

huge range of Radio stations inc BBC 6 Music and 5 Live, award winning podcasts such as the brexit cast and Kermode and Mayo.

The insane number of radio stations is lumbering and bloated, boring presenters and dull programmes, the number of stations should be cut in half

I'm sitting here watching their extensive Glastonbury coverage right now. A week ago I finished Killing Eve Series 2.

Spend your time and money watching much better TV mate, there's a whole world out there

Back
Top Bottom