BBC salaries revealed !!

Soldato
The only one which really sticks out for me is Alan Shearer on 400 grand. He's not even on every week and his punditry is Thierry Henry level basic gibberish. Graham Norton is worth every penny though.

Soldato
I find the whole idea of publishing their pay packets as pretty disgusting, to be honest. But then again, you've got to hand it to the Tories -- it's a great way to get the Sun-reading great unwashed all bent out of shape. The public (read: idiot public) will turn against the BBC because God-forbid anyone earns over £40k, all the stars will leave (competitors now know exactly how much to offer them) and it'll all go down the pan. Quite a brilliant strategy really.

Caporegime
No doubt this will fan the flames of public jealously but it is tax payer's money, and I am not sure how Shearer earns that much for not doing a whole lot.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Chris Evans works harder for his than the others. He's up at the crack of dawn every morning and does about 3 hours live in addition to whatever rehearsals/research needed.

It'd be a different story if broken down into hourly. Lineker would be stomping all over them.

Soldato
The only one which really sticks out for me is Alan Shearer on 400 grand. He's not even on every week and his punditry is Thierry Henry level basic gibberish. Graham Norton is worth every penny though.

Shearer earning that much is hilarious his punditry is worse than the average terrace fan and his style is awful! Norton's earnings are half hidden because his chat show pay is paid by the production company so he will be on significantly more. Evans pay check is laughable the man proved his incredible lack of broad appeal with his performance on top gear they should offer him reduced terms or fire him those wages are a terrible waste of tax payers money.

I'd like to see a break down of pay compared to hours on air, the one thing is Evans's favour is he has a very large airtime, looking at a price per broadcast hour I suspect would also alter the gender gap significantly as Caludia and Tess are not on for a lot of time!

Soldato
I think most of you are missing the point. Star talent and public appeal transcends "hourly graft" like us mere mortals. Get rid of Chris Evans and replace him with a nobody on £40k/yr and there would be absolute outrage from the very same public that are whinging about how much he gets paid.

Caporegime
I find the whole idea of publishing their pay packets as pretty disgusting, to be honest. But then again, you've got to hand it to the Tories -- it's a great way to get the Sun-reading great unwashed all bent out of shape. The public (read: idiot public) will turn against the BBC because God-forbid anyone earns over £40k, all the stars will leave (competitors now know exactly how much to offer them) and it'll all go down the pan. Quite a brilliant strategy really.

Why do you find it disgusting out of interest? I mean is that disgust strictly confined to the BBC or do you disagree with it in general for people in the public sector? AFAIK this is just bringing the BBC in line with other public organisations that reveal the pay of their highest paid employees.

Soldato
I don't see why any of these celebrities are required to do these roles. Should introduce a pay cap of no more than 100k and fill the posts over time from people brought on and up through the organisation from apprenticeships.

Soldato
Public shocked to discover media talent exists in a market place. Hold the presses!

I'd do Lineker's job for 20k. I don't know anything about football, and Sky haven't expressed an interest in paying me in small islands recently, but I'm sure I could bluff my way through Match of the Day. Does Eric Bristow still play for Spurs?

And I'm shocked to find someone as pretty... I mean, talented as Tess Daly isn't paid just as much as Lineker. Clear evidence of sexism at the morally corrupt Beeb. Her insight and choreographic exposition on Strictly is breathtaking to observe. The sooner all media is free with wall to wall adverts, like the USA, the sooner sanity will be restored.

Yours,
Disgusted, Tonbridge Wells

Soldato
Why do you find it disgusting out of interest? I mean is that disgust strictly confined to the BBC or do you disagree with it in general for people in the public sector? AFAIK this is just bringing the BBC in line with other public organisations that reveal the pay of their highest paid employees.
I find it disgusting that the BBC are being so blatantly singled-out and bullied by the government in a not-so-subtle way to turn public opinion against the BBC, make the talent leave and run it into the ground. Why aren't we shown the salaries of everyone in the NHS? I don't mean the nurses etc. that are common knowledge.. I mean the executives at the top of the tree that are invisible to the public. Why aren't we shown all the salaries for execs at RBS that we half-own? They showed us some of them but if they looked at everyone in banking earning over £150k I think people's jaws would have to be surgically re-instated. The whole thing is just pathetic.

The sooner all media is free with wall to wall adverts, like the USA, the sooner sanity will be restored.
Yeah.. :(

Caporegime
I find it disgusting that the BBC are being so blatantly singled-out and bullied by the government in a not-so-subtle way to turn public opinion against the BBC, make the talent leave and run it into the ground. Why aren't we shown the salaries of everyone in the NHS? I don't mean the nurses etc. that are common knowledge.. I mean the executives at the top of the tree that are invisible to the public. Why aren't we shown all the salaries for execs at RBS that we half-own? They showed us some of them but if they looked at everyone in banking earning over £150k I think people's jaws would have to be surgically re-instated. The whole thing is just pathetic.

We are aren't we - AFAIK this is across the public sector. Why do you think we should see the salaries of top NHS employees but not BBC ones? Are you saying we should see some public sector salaries and not others? I don't quite understand your position here, on one hand you're saying this is disgusting for the BBC but then on the other hand you seem to be advocating the same thing for the NHS?

RBS is different we have a stake in it but it isn't a public body or organisation and while we've bailed out banks with loans and acquired stakes in them when they were about to collapse we don't fund the day to day running of them

Soldato
Public shocked to discover media talent exists in a market place. Hold the presses!

I'd do Lineker's job for 20k. I don't know anything about football, and Sky haven't expressed an interest in paying me in small islands recently, but I'm sure I could bluff my way through Match of the Day. Does Eric Bristow still play for Spurs?

And I'm shocked to find someone as pretty... I mean, talented as Tess Daly isn't paid just as much as Lineker. Clear evidence of sexism at the morally corrupt Beeb. Her insight and choreographic exposition on Strictly is breathtaking to observe. The sooner all media is free with wall to wall adverts, like the USA, the sooner sanity will be restored.

Yours,
Disgusted, Tonbridge Wells
Did you mean Tunbridge Wells? :p

Back
Top Bottom