BBC say the N word

Soldato
OP
Pathetic. But I'm suprised the beeb actually said it. I would imagine if it was the the F or C bomb, they would have censored it.

I agree it would have been more sensible not to say the word if only to prevent the no life moaners from writing in. But it's not as if the beeb was being racist, they were just telling what was said by someone. It's all about context.

Man of Honour
If the attack included the F or C bomb and the family asked for it to be fully reported, would the BBC then include this word uncensored?

While there's a lot of talk on the fact that they used the word uncensored, a lot of discussion has also included the fact that Wiley's recent tweets were deemed too offensive to repeat or show but the BBC had no issues broadcasting this word, even with the context.

Caporegime
If the attack included the F or C bomb and the family asked for it to be fully reported, would the BBC then include this word uncensored?

While there's a lot of talk on the fact that they used the word uncensored, a lot of discussion has also included the fact that Wiley's recent tweets were deemed too offensive to repeat or show but the BBC had no issues broadcasting this word, even with the context.

Would a sad sack quit his job because someone used the F or C words? Doubt it.

Oh my god, that person over yonder swore. I quit!

You also have to grasp the concept between a curse word and an insult.

Soldato
It would be interesting to know the demographic of those that complained, if it was 19k white people bbc should send them a rude email back, if it was a lot of black people then the BBC should apologise

Caporegime
It would be interesting to know the demographic of those that complained, if it was 19k white people bbc should send them a rude email back, if it was a lot of black people then the BBC should apologise

Why should the race of the complainer make a difference?

The context of this thing is key. A black man was racially abused and that black man's black family asked the BBC to include it in their report to highlight the gravity of the abuse he suffered, for being black.

Soldato
The problem is because the reporter was White, I can understand why people would get offended but I find the hypocrisy offensive

Nobody had any issues when Obama said it 5 years ago

It's pretty silly the taboo of this word when it's not used in context to specifically offend a person of colour, racism is terrible but taking offence where none was intended just damages the fight against racism instead of helping it

Caporegime
They should have just said “the n word”, everyone would have known what was said and that would have been that. When used as an insult and racial slur it really is a horrible word.

Again, the black family, of the black victim who was attacked because they were black requested that the full word was used to highlight the gravity of the situation.

Caporegime
The whole thing about the word is stupid. It's just a slang way of saying negro yet it's been turned into a slur.

Negro is also a slur unless you are speaking Spanish or Portuguese.

However with regard to the actual topic, I don't see the BBC are at fault here or need to apologise.

What am I missing here?

BBC news uses the N-word broadcasting a direct quote at the wishes of the family (black) of a horrendous, racially motivated assault on a black man.

Some people get rather upset and a number in the low hundreds ring up to complain ie 0.001% or so of people watching.

A DJ quits BBC1 Xtra as a white reporter uses the word.

BBC feel need to apologise.

Were the BBC out of order for following the direct request of the family whose member was subjected to the attack?

Is it ok for people to be offended at that decision of the BBC and instead that family's wishes should not have been respected?

Back
Top Bottom