BBC to show FA Cup semi-final and final in UHD

Soldato
Will it be the same old thing for Wimbledon - restricting it to a verified list of TVs and no PC/Xbox/PS4 access?
I saw netflix are starting similar racism https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1561010357
... so you have to commit some of your potentially limited android cpu cycles to running a netflix task (people on sony forums were talking about these processes)

edit
Most Of the latest tv's support HLG now but i remember when it first came out only a select few LG Oled's and some Panasonic lcd tv's supported it.
what I meant was- whether new tv's have the hardware to 'stream' hlg from the terrestrial tuner at 30Mb/s (which france is trialling) , as opposed to from the internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
what I meant was- whether new tv's have the hardware to 'stream' hlg from the terrestrial tuner at 30Mb/s (which france is trialling) , as opposed to from the internet.

Yes if the tv has a DVB-T2 tuner its possible but there is limited bandwidth available on terrestrial network so maybe a reason we have gone to internet route.

Soldato
ATSC is North American standards, won't affect us. If anything I think it's just the BBC getting with the times, no one watches live TV / broadcast anymore and they know it so they're investing in OTT because it's what people really want now and certainly in the future. I haven't even plugged an aerial into my TV for probably 8 years now, same goes for 90% of my friends.

Soldato
ATSC is North American standards, won't affect us. If anything I think it's just the BBC getting with the times, no one watches live TV / broadcast anymore and they know it so they're investing in OTT because it's what people really want now and certainly in the future. I haven't even plugged an aerial into my TV for probably 8 years now, same goes for 90% of my friends.

To a large extent it's a generational thing but there are still millions of people who will happily watch TV as it's broadcast as their usual method of viewing, and only see Netflix, Amazon etc as supplementary to that.

Soldato
The ASTC 3.0 standard has some of the same encoding/aeriel tech as 5G so is the way ahead for 4k aeriel broadcast; although, it's unclear whether that, or adequate broadband / multicast bandwidth will unlock 4k broadcast to the masses/majority.

Most of my viewing is timeshifted terrestrial (hd+sd) broadcast, and, for the likes of the bbc, I didn't know the catchup/OTT services (iplayer?) offer the same 1080 picture/audio quality ????
... most of the netflix/prime content is analogous to fast-food, and per the current foreign film thread, you have to go elsewhere, to get quality.

Soldato
just downloading the newer 3.0 vlc that apparently understands mpd ... it's a text file and says they/bbc stream at 2560 as well as 4k .. so that should work on pc monitor.
roku ss+ can't drive a 2560 monitor and downscales to 1080 - so vlc will be better for that

I'm surprised the mpd is not more obscure .. hopefully they stay that way.

Soldato
uhd Tennis working with vlc 3.0.7.1, I don't have the 36Mb/s the full 4K requires , or, my laptops not up to it,
so, with text editor, had to remove the
<Representation id="3840x2160p50" bandwidth="36000000" width="3840" height="2160" frameRate="50" codecs="hev1.2.4.L153.00.00.B0" scanType="progressive"/>
from the mpd file which then plays the next best -
<Representation id="2560x1440p50" bandwidth="16000000" width="2560" height="1440" frameRate="50" codecs="hev1.2.4.L150.00.00.B0" scanType="progressive"/>

It doesn't look like plex player can be given a mpd file, or mpchc

Caporegime
I have my PC plugged into the tv. So far it’s been rock solid with only a couple of glitches since 1pm. I’m not getting the HDR though as I’ve disabled that in Windows.

Back
Top Bottom